Around The World - 3rd Stop - KOREA!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
While I've had some Korean dishes in the past in travel, I haven't really tried many recipes in my own kitchen.
I think this one will be fun!
So many different recipes out there to share..enjoy, and discuss.
Shall we take another trip together?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Re: Around The World-Third Stop- Korea

Tonight at the grocery store, I picked up a Napa cabbage and a daikon radish. I'm waiting for Kimchee to come along and tell me how to use them.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Oh Cali! I can't wait to see you do that.

I've never eaten any Korean food. I'm looking forward to those who have had it to teach me something new.

buckytom

Grill Master
i visit a great site for korean cooking videos once in a while: www.maangchi.com

i hope to take one of her cooking classes in the spring, time permitting.

i'm going to have to stop by my local korean market this week and take some pictures.

we just had korean bbq (bulgogi, saewoo gui, and banchan) this past weekend. i wish i'd taken pics.

next time. i'm sure we'll be going back within a week or so.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i visit a great site for korean cooking videos once in a while: www.maangchi.com

i'm going to have to stop by my local korean market this week and take some pictures.

we just had korean bbq (bulgogi, saewoo gui, and banchan) this past weekend. i wish i'd taken pics.

I thought you were a vampire?

K

Kimchee

We have an Asian market near us that has a Korean diner in it. Very cool, you order at a computer terminal and pick up your own food! Usually my wife and I are the only Caucasians eating there.
The seafood containing meals have lots of squid, white fish and the occasional mussel or shrimp. Vegetables include a good amount of seaweeds, strange brown slimy things that look like worms but taste OK, cabbages and the like.
Most meals include little side dishes of kimchee, kimchee turnips, miso soup, other pickled veggies....
We LOVE It!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

I LOVE her site too Tom.
As you mentioned, Bulgogi.. that has been my favourite.
I've got a lot of ideas.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IicuyDgRyw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZTzEYlXUY&feature=channel[/ame]
http://gourmettraveller88.com/2008/09/01/easy-prepared-korean-chicken-bbq/

Saewoo Bokumbop=shrimp fried rice
Buldak= spicy chicken

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This looks good to me - Job Chae - Korean Stir Fried Noodles and Vegetables:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2inbxROOCzY&feature=channel[/ame]

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I am doing bimbambop for lunch,

1088830040_e329a381ae.jpg

and going to Korean BBQ tomorrow with a group of budies. I LOVE spicy pork belly, nom nom nom.

2372070629_ea6401137b.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's another one that I thought looked real good. The recipe that I saw had a raw egg on top, but the fried egg looks much more appealing to me.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
That's another one that I thought looked real good. The recipe that I saw had a raw egg on top, but the fried egg looks much more appealing to me.

yeah, but the deal with the raw is you mix it into the hot broth and it cooks it, and keeps it real soft and custardy. I know they don't do the raw here due to safe food handling practices.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Re: Around The World-Third Stop- Korea

Tonight at the grocery store, I picked up a Napa cabbage and a daikon radish. I'm waiting for Kimchee to come along and tell me how to use them.

Here are a couple I use and the first one we keep year around making another batch when it starts getting low.

My version of Mom's Kim Chee

Kim Chee is a pickled salad/condiment type food served at virtually every Korean meal. It is often compared to sauerkraut. It can be made not only with nappa cabbage, bok choy, as well as other types of radishes, greens, or cucumbers etc. It is salty, (spicy) hot, temperately cold, garlicky and tangy. Here is a short cut version.

THERE ARE THREE MAJOR STEPS TO MAKING KIM CHEE: 1. Salting the cabbage 2. Making the pepper paste/sauce. 3. Combining the pepper with the cabbage and putting it into jars. YOU WILL NEED:

1/2-1 c pickling salt
1 ea Head Nappa Cabbage
1 ea daikon raddish (one third to one half the size of the cabbage)
1 ea head of garlic, minced
1-2 Tb ginger, minced
2-8 Tb Korean red pepper flakes, or fresh hot red pepper to taste, or a combination.
2 ea green onions, julienned
1 tb sugar

X A large bowl for soaking the cabbage in brine solution.
X Large glass containers to put the finished kim chee into.

Directions
First, the cabbage must be salted in brine solution. Cut the cabbage in half lengthwise. Then cut a second time lengthwise to form quarter cabbage chunks.
Mix the salt with enough water to cover all the cabbage in a large bowl.
Soak the cabbage in the brine solution, making sure that all parts are submerged. If they are not, you can re-stack the cabbage half way through the soaking process, moving bottom chunks to the top, and vice versa. I tend to use a plate on top before putting a lid on the soaking bowl.

Leave the cabbage for 2-4 hours. At the end of this time, the cabbage should be wilted, supple, limp and salty in taste. (optional: you could also lightly salt each stalk of each leaf which is much thicker than the leafy part in order that the leafy part and stalk are evenly seasoned. To do this you must rub pickling salt sparsely on each of the stalks. This is done midway through the soaking when the leaves are manageable wilted. )

Reserve some of the brine solution. Rinse the cabbage and then cut into julienne type bite size pieces about an inch and a half long and drain the cabbage. Discard the cabbage core.

In the mean time, prepare the daikon raddish and the pepper sauce/paste.
The daikon must either be shredded into julienne strips. Add to the daikon: red pepper flakes, red pepper, minced garlic, minced ginger, julienned green onion, salt to taste (1 Tbsp) and sugar, then toss. If you are using your hands, beware of the the hot pepper if you burn easily.

Finally, thoroughly mix the pepper mixture with the cabbage by tossing. Then check for salt and red pepper and seasoning in general and adjust if necessary. Then pack into glass jars. The mixture should have a liquid sauce in the jar and more will form as it sits. It is important that the mixture is in a sauce. Should you need to add more liquid, take some reserved brine and rinse the final mixing bowl and add to bottles so that all the cabbage pieces are just submerged in liquid. You can keep a bottle outside for a day to help it ripen more quickly, otherwise store in the refrigerator, tightly capped.

The taste changes as it ripens. It is initially like a salad and then ferments to taste more sour. Kim chee compliments meals served with rice. It is a Korean staple. It is also good fried with butter or sesame oil, or stir fried with pork and tofu.

We keep a couple of 80 oz Vlasic pickle jars on hand all the time just for this. We always have some in the refrigerator. I got the original recipe from http://asiarecipe.com/ I believe but I've had it for years with pretty much little change except as noted above.

Note: I also when I can find them use some of their hot peppers in it as well. Sometimes I will add a bit of fish stock to this as well but not for every ones tastes.

Here is another using Cucumber which is more a Japanese adaption of the Korean dish.

CUCUMBER KIM CHEE

2 Japanese cucumbers
Table salt or finely ground sea salt
1 teaspoon coarse-ground Korean red pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon peeled minced ginger
2 tablespoons (or more, as desired) minced green onion

Wash unpeeled cucumber, cut off ends and cut into chunks. In a nonreactive bowl, layer the chunks with a light sprinkling of salt between each layer. Toss and stir to distribute salt. Allow to sit for 20 minutes, then rinse off a piece and taste. If too salty, wash cucumber in cold water and proceed. If not salty enough, allow to marinate longer. When the flavor is right, drain and rinse in cold water.

In a bowl, stir together Korean red pepper, sugar, garlic, ginger and green onion. Add cucumber, toss well and pack into sterilized jars. Refrigerate; this is ready to eat the same day. Keeps about 2 weeks, refrigerated.

Deelady

Ok heres my Kalbi in the Crockpot, it usually uses short ribs and is usually grilled but I like to use a chuck roast and in a crockpot for no fuss meal. My best friend growing up always had her grandmother make this for me when I went to their house and from memory I swear she used a similar cut and used some sort of braising method. I have never been able to find a recipe method that I found would produce the same results until I tried this.... This recipe comes out almost exactly how I remember hers after YEARS of trial and error! Hope you enjoy!

3 lbs Chuck roast
1 Asian pear
1/2 a white or yellow onion
1 cup soy sauce (I like Japanese Soy sauce best)
1 cup citrus soda (like Sierra Mist)
1 TBS freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
2 TBS sesame seeds
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

For Marinade/sauce:
Grate the flesh of an Asian pear and half of an onion over the ribs. Add all remaining ingredients to the ribs and use tongs stir marinade and make sure ribs are all soaking. Cover the dish and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (overnight is better). You can put all of this straight into the crock pot if prefer without marinating, will still come out nice.

Seperate Meat and lightly sear in an oiled pan to get a bit of color and carmelization. Add meat to crockpot with marinade/sauce.
Cook on high for about 6-8 hrs or until meat seperates apart easily with fork.

Serve with steamed sticky rice and top with aditional sesame seeds for garnish. Kimchee is also usually served with this but that is a taste preference I don not have :)

Attachments

• food 222.jpg
    food 222.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 292

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dee that looks fantastic. Mouthwatering. :clap: :clap:

Dumb question: What is Kalbi?

Deelady

Thank you Doc :) Not a stupid question! Its just the name of the Korean Beef Dish the two most common dishes in Korean restaurants are Kalbi and Bulgogi...Kalbi and bulgogi are basically Korean's version of BBQ, most often short ribs that are quickly grilled with this similar marinade/sauce and bulgogi is usually thinly sliced beef in the same marinade also quickly grilled. But I believe it varries from family to family since my friend's family called theirs Kalbi and it had no bones.
Hope that clears it up a little :D

K

Kimchee

Can't do Korea without Bulgogi...

1 pound beef, sliced cross thin
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 scallions, chopped 1-inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon peanut oil
sesame seeds, toasted

Instructions:
Combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, sesame salt (toasted sesame seeds ground with salt), pepper, scallions, garlic, ginger, sake and red pepper flakes in a medium-size bowl. Add meat and toss. Marinate 30 minutes or more. Cook the meat over medium-high heat on a stove top grill. Heat the grill first, making it very hot. Add the oil. Cook meat 1 to 2 minutes on each side, browning it nicely. Garnish with sesame seeds.

Here's a nice spinach salad too:

* 1 bunch of spinach
* 3 cloves of garlic
* 1 green onion
* 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
* Sesame oil and sesame seeds

1. In pot large enough to hold entire bunch of spinach, bring water to a boil. Add 1tsp. of salt. Remove dead portions of spinach and drop all, leaves and stems into boiling water. Blanch spinach for 30-45 seconds.

2. Drain the spinach 2-3 times and gently ball up the spinach and squeeze out excess water. Using your knife, cut the spinach a few times into bite-sized portions.

3. Combine 3 cloves of minced garlic, the chopped green onions, 2 Tbsp. of soy sauce and 1 TSP. of sesame seed oil. Add the spinach and mix all together by hand. Immediately sprinkle with a Tbsp. of sesame seed and serve cold.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is one more of my favorite Koren dishes.

Kalbi (Korean Barbequed Beef Short Ribs)

5 pounds Korean style beef short ribs*
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
1 small onion, peeled and finely grated
1 small Asian pear, peeled and finely grated
4 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)

Preparation:

Sprinkle brown sugar over beef and mix well to evenly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while preparing marinade. In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Transfer beef into a large sealable freezer bag (you may need 2). Add marinade, press out excess air from bags, and seal. Turn bag over several times to ensure beef is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.

Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot. Drain excess marinade off beef. Grill short ribs, turning once, to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions, if desired. Serve whole pieces as a main course or cut into smaller pieces, using kitchen shears, for a starter or party nibble.

* NOTE: Korean-style short ribs can be found at most Asian markets. The cut, also known as "flanken," refers to a strip of beef cut across the bone from the chuck end of the short ribs. Unlike American and European-style short ribs, which include a thick slice of bone-in beef, Korean-style short ribs are cut lengthwise across the rib bones. The result is a thin strip of meat, about 8 to10 inches in length, lined on 1 side with 1/2-inch thick rib bones. The thin slices make for fast cooking on the grill.

Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Prep Time: 4 hr 0 min
Cook Time: 8 min
4 to 6 servings as a main course

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Crappy cell pic

166647_10150379182015117_658865116_16681266_7894319_n.jpg

Spicy pork bulgogi, sticky rice, tempura shrimp and onion with Korean style mashed potato, Sushi(2 pcs)edamame, Salad, Miso soup and Kimchee. . .BEST $8 lunch ever. I love my lil Asian market. In addition to a lot of the goods I miss from Oahu, it has about 8 lil cafes inside that do stellar for for a hobo budget. I go about once a week to stock up on Bao buns, and stuff for the weekly Dim Sum, and will stop in at one of these places. I am always impressed at the quality and quantity.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure look good, even for a crappy cell phone pic UncleRalph. :thumb: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the explanation Dee! :flowers:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Ok heres my Kalbi in the Crockpot, it usually uses short ribs and is usually grilled but I like to use a chuck roast and in a crockpot for no fuss meal. My best friend growing up always had her grandmother make this for me when I went to their house and from memory I swear she used a similar cut and used some sort of braising method. I have never been able to find a recipe method that I found would produce the same results until I tried this.... This recipe comes out almost exactly how I remember hers after YEARS of trial and error! Hope you enjoy!

3 lbs Chuck roast
1 Asian pear
1/2 a white or yellow onion
1 cup soy sauce (I like Japanese Soy sauce best)
1 cup citrus soda (like Sierra Mist)
1 TBS freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
2 TBS sesame seeds
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

For Marinade/sauce:
Grate the flesh of an Asian pear and half of an onion over the ribs. Add all remaining ingredients to the ribs and use tongs stir marinade and make sure ribs are all soaking. Cover the dish and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (overnight is better). You can put all of this straight into the crock pot if prefer without marinating, will still come out nice.

Seperate Meat and lightly sear in an oiled pan to get a bit of color and carmelization. Add meat to crockpot with marinade/sauce.
Cook on high for about 6-8 hrs or until meat seperates apart easily with fork.

Serve with steamed sticky rice and top with aditional sesame seeds for garnish. Kimchee is also usually served with this but that is a taste preference I don not have :)

Dee, that looks phenomenal! I've always been afraid of making asian food because I can never seem to get the seasonings right :in_love:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made the Korean Grilled Beef using Kimchee's recipe and a couple of others. Below is the resulting recpe I used tonight. Served with Peep's Asian Green Beans http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17595&highlight=string+beans

OH. MY. GOD!! What a DELICIOUS dinner!!! I could eat these things all night! And my house smells wonderful!

I grilled the beef on a stove-top grill pan. The strips took about one minute to cook.

Both dishes are keepers! :bounce:

Mama, it was hard to figure out the WW points for this, since the sesame oil is a lot of points, but since it's a marinade, not much went in my mouth. I had just a little brown rice and one and a half strips of beef on each lettuce leaf. I gave myself 9 points for the dinner (?)

Lee

Korean Beef BBQ in Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:

· Beef -- flank steak, sirloin, or your favorite -- cut in ½ inch strips or whole
· For Each Pound of Beef, make the following marinade:
· ¼ cup soy sauce
· ¼ cup sake
· 2 packets artificial sweetener
· 1 teaspoon molasses
· 2 Tablespoon sesame oil
· 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
· 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and smashed
· 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
· 1 carrot, julienned
· 3 green onions (scallions) chopped
· 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
· ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
· ¼ teaspoon MSG

For lettuce leaf wraps:
· Large leaves of lettuce, cleaned
· Green onions, chopped
· White sweet onion, chopped
· Sesame oil
· Cooked rice

Beef Preparation:

Cut the beef into half-inch strips.

Mix the marinade ingredients, and put the meat in. Marinate anywhere from an hour to overnight.

Grill quickly on a hot grill.

Lettuce wraps
Prepare one small dish of chopped green onion and white onion soaked in sesame oil.
Put a lettuce leaf on your plate, and spoon some rice, pieces of the grilled meat, and raw onion mixture onto the center of the lettuce. Gather the sides of the lettuce up and fold them over, holding the package your fingers in the center and take a bite.

Attachments

• Korean BBQ beef.JPG
    Korean BBQ beef.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Peep's Asian green beans.JPG
    Peep's Asian green beans.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Korean beef wraps and Asian green beans.JPG
    Korean beef wraps and Asian green beans.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 279