Favorite lasagna noodle brand?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to make lasagna for the first time in a decade or two.

What brand of pasta do you like best?

Should I get the no-cook pasta?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Semolina pasta is semolina pasta, IMHO. Semolina flour and water...that's it. As for no-cook pasta for lasagna, there are a number of recipes using regular, uncooked lasagna pasta. My wife has one of those recipes somewhere. I do know that she makes the lasagna the night before she will bake it, and she pours red wine over the whole 9x13 dish. I'll try to dig it out for you.

UPDATE:

DW says to use regular lasagna noodles (she like Barilla) and use a good layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish, as well as on top of each layer of noodles. You can assemble the lasagna and bake right away. Simply bake covered with foil then uncover at the end to brown the top. Keeping it covered retains the moisture and cooks the noodles. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Lee for years I boiled, drained and struggled with broken or stuck together noodles. The last 3X I made lasagna I used no boil noodles and LOVE them!! They take all the stress over broken or stuck together noodles out of the picture. I used Ronzoni but next time I will try the Barilla no boil. I can't wait to see your creation.

I posted my recipe for lasagna if you are interested.

Peep's Baked Meat Lasagna

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=224048#post224048

040311_cut_lasagna.jpg

"Barilla" - hands down the very best commercial pasta for us. Have NEVER been disappointed in any of their products - sauces included.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I never liked the no-boil noodles - quality or price - so I preboil whatever noodles are cheapest at the grocery store.

If you don't preboil, all the stratch goes into the lasagne. Gross.

And you aren't saving time; you actually have to add more liquid and cook it longer. May as well preboil; you can even do that a day or 2 ahead of time.

I've used both "no-boil" & regular lasagna noodles over the years, & can't say I prefer one over the other. It depends on what recipe I'm using. Some are simply "juicier" than others.

What I will say is that I don't see where pre-boiling lasagna noodles makes any difference whatsover in the long run. In fact, I find lasagna made with pre-boiled-by-the-cook regular noodles - no matter how careful you are re: timing - tends to be more juicier & sloppier than baking without pre-boiling.

Just received an e-mail re: a recipe where instead of using the "no-boil" noodles, you simply soak regular lasagna noodles in hot water while you're making up the rest of the recipe. Apparently this softens them enough so you don't have to use an inordinate amount of sauce in order to cook the noodles.

Can't wait to try the recipe.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I was NEVER going to use no boil noodles. Then I decided what the heck. I didn't change my recipe at all except for the no boil noodles. I didn't add any extra sauce or liquid. I was VERY impressed at how nice it came out. It was just right. I was happily surprised that it was NOT sloppy at all. So now I am a convert.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you, everyone, for your replies!

Based on what you said, I went with Barilla, and with the no-boil noodles. The lasagna came out GREAT!

I took a picture, but it was all blurry, and couldn't hold a candle to Peep's photo! :)

Lee

I'm so glad Lee. Like I said before, I've NEVER been disappointed in ANY Barilla products. I use their no-boil noodles all the time for many different lasagna recipes, & have yet to be disappointed in any way.