Butter or Margarine

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pass The Butter .. Please .

This is interesting . .. ..

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put the money into the research wanted a pay-back so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavor of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids which are outlawed in some countries.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease .

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE

and remember, butter is a food, margarine is a chemical.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I copied this from muleman who posted it over on forumsforums.
I wanted yous guys take on it. Is any of this true? All of it true?
What do you think?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I would question, "both have the same amount of calories," but I know for sure that butter tastes better :brows:.

Interesting read!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Don't have a clue as to the validity of the claims, but none of those arguments are needed in my case: never never never never buy or use margarine. Haven't for decades.

K

Kimchee

The butter industry fought long and hard to prevent margarine manufacturers from being able to color it. You used to buy margarine with a packet of coloring included, and made it nice and buttery colored yourself.
Called it the Butter Wars, they did!

snopes.com has some info about the claims:
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Wasn't invented as a turkey fattener; 1 molecule away from plastic is meaningless....

I don't use it either, I'm a butter man myself. Although I picked up a Butter/Olive Oil blend, 50% less fat, etc... very very close to butter; I like it.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I can remember, as a child, that "oleo" came in plastic (unusual packaging for time) bags and looked just like shortening. There was a smaller packet of coloring that you added to the bag and then squeezed/massaged it to disperse the color. I have occasionally made a blend of butter and olive oil myself - whip it up in the food processor. It stays soft and is very tasty on bread, etc.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
And Coca Cola removes rust from pipes. Pass the butter and gingerale please!! LOL

K

Kimchee

Coca Cola is also great for cleaning corrosion from auto car battery terminals.
Tabasco style hot sauce will make a tarnished penny bright again....

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Coca Cola is also great for cleaning corrosion from auto car battery terminals.
Tabasco style hot sauce will make a tarnished penny bright again....
HMMMMMMMMM I use Franks "I put that (BLEEP) on everything!! EXCEPT my car battery or pennies!! LOL

Last edited:

Guts

You know the first words in Doc s post;

Pass The Butter .. Please .
Reminded me of the Holladay dinners as a kid.
When my grandfather would pass the butter, just as you were grasping it he would give it a little extra push so you ended up with butter on your thumb.:poke:

Now back the subject. I asked this to a nutritionist at a seminar that I was at about 2 months ago butter or margarine. She said unsalted butter.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, guts, in our family, the butter (or better, a piece of birthday cake) always smelled funny when you were handing it to someone. when they sniffed it, whomp. butter (or cake) in the face. :whistle:

back to the topic: we eat either "i can't believe it's not butter" soybean/canola spread, or butter at home.

i remember reading about butter being better than margarine, so we switched back to butter, and then tried the "i can't believe-blah blah" stuff.

as far as butter goes, plugra polish, cabot vermont, and kerrygold irish butter are my faves.

and btw, have you ever noticed the butter that's served in restaurants always seems to taste better, more rich and creamy, than regular ol' butter from the store. why is that?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Butter most of the time, Land O Lakes or Kerrygold (it's awesome)-
The only other margarine type spread I buy now is Fleishmann's olive oil.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Country crock is in our refrigerator. :hide:
DW uses butter for lots of things but for a bread spread it's been country crock.

Who makes real butter in an easy to spread form?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>Land O' Lakes has a whipped butter, I believe, that's supposed to be spreadable. I've never tried it.

I've tried it several times living in NJ and PA - different stores & decades.
regrets to say, every time it's been rancid and not edible - so pay attention to the dating.....

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Country crock is in our refrigerator. :hide:
DW uses butter for lots of things but for a bread spread it's been country crock.

Who makes real butter in an easy to spread form?

Get a butter bell. You can pick one up on amazon pretty cheap

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dTGrTxVlqY[/ame]

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I think if anyone tasted Breakstone's whipped butter, they'd love it as well.
Course, they seem to be excellent anyway, their cottage cheese and sour cream rocks.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
regards the original post on the evils of margarine - whatever one's opinion - it's wild ass and not at all too scientific rumor / speculation / hype / scare / snake oil salesman brew / whatever.

human DNA is only 2% (?) off the great apes; considering the number of molecules in plastic / butter / margarine, one molecule is well within the tolerance of being a chimphuman - or for the believers, perhaps a chumphuman.

whether refrigeration of eggs and butter is essential is another very lengthy debated issue. here's the problem: butter and eggs are not refrigerated everywhere in the world, and for some odd ball reason, the rest of the world has not died off due to butter / egg poisoning. I lived in Europe in the 60's; shady side window boxes were the fridge. it works folks.

go figger.

if I need spreadable butter for my dinner, I pull the blinkity blankity butter stick out of the fridge as I start prep. simple, easy, works.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Chowderman is right - eggs are never refrigerated here. I used to refrigerate mine, and then I realized that whenever I ate breakfast in a restaurant, I was eating unrefrigerated eggs and I hadn't died yet, so I stopped. Butter, however, is a different thing altogether in the tropics. If you leave it out, it will rapidly become a greasy puddle. I can only use my butter bell in the winter months. OTOH, leaving it out for 15-20 minutes makes it spreadable.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
here's the problem: butter and eggs are not refrigerated everywhere in the world, and for some odd ball reason, the rest of the world has not died off due to butter / egg poisoning. I lived in Europe in the 60's; shady side window boxes were the fridge. it works folks.

go figger.

if I need spreadable butter for my dinner, I pull the blinkity blankity butter stick out of the fridge as I start prep. simple, easy, works.

:a1:

Nope. Eggs are not refrigerated in the UK at all, least not while I lived there.
They are sitting out on shelves in small crates of 6 or a dozen in the stores, and each egg has the red lion stamp.
As for butter, each and every home (including mine and Steve's, our relations and friends) never kept their butter in the fridge.
It was kept on the kitchen counter inside a covered butter dish.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
My doctor has insisted that I use butter and so has the dietician that I have seen.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
As Karen said, storing butter in the fridge has a lot to do with the climate. In Florida, as with much of the southern US, butter left out in the summer melts in the dish.

I usually leave out about 1/3 of a stick at a time because that's all I can use up before it turns into a puddle.

When you're baking, many recipes call for room temperature butter. They mean 68-70 degrees.

Right now I have a partial stick on a plate at room temperature that looks like the wicked witch after Dorothy threw the bucket of water on her.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Glad to see you back Susan!!

ROTFL @ SS!! Wicked Witch - Good one!!