Butter or Margarine

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
For margarine, yes I use it, I like Country Crock.

But now that Karen has shown us in FP1 how easy it is to make your own sweet butter from cream, I don’t think I’ll ever go back. This is the real deal, and I’m loving it. Thanks Karen!! :thumb:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16476

Keltin3.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Sass, you are so right about Kerrygold.

American butter is mandated to be at least 80% butterfat. The other 20% is water and milk solids. Most US manufacturers stay as close to that number as possible.

Most European butters are at least 85% butterfat, with only 15% liquids & solids.

This is the reason that Kerrygold, Lurpak, and Plugra are so much richer and creamier........and so much pricier!

And....if you want the best butter, always buy unsalted.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

American butter is mandated to be at least 80% butterfat. The other 20% is water and milk solids. Most US manufacturers stay as close to that number as possible.

Most European butters are at least 85% butterfat, with only 15% liquids & solids.

This is the reason that Kerrygold, Lurpak, and Plugra are so much richer and creamier........and so much pricier!

Good point SS, and yet another reason to make your own!

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16476

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

:flowers:.. and that's the reason I believe that butter isn't normally refrigerated in the UK -- the climate there is pretty moderate, therefore.. it's not necessary.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I found this really interesting, and I often bug my friends in the UK and Germany with foodie questions. I asked them both about refrigerating eggs and butter. One is in the UK, and the other is in Hamburg, Germany.

Granted, I'm not foolish enough to say my two friends speak for every person in the UK or in Germany.

We do refrigerate eggs and butter, though we may not bother putting butter in the fridge during winter. I'm in Northampton, which is in the midlands, between London and Birmingham.

Of course we do refrigerate eggs and butter. Especially eggs because of salmonellosis. Did you hear otherwise? [Hamburg, Germany]

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Keltin -

there was an age when "refridgeration" was not invented; did not exist. that age lasted several billion / million / thousand of documented history years.

how did human kind get past that?

as for UK, reaching back into research memory, I do believe UK requires chickens to be vaccinated against salmonella.
as I recall, USA does not.
nadda clue about Hamburg.

I don't know the cost of immunizing a chicken /laying hen against salmonella; my bet is the egg farms are looking at that issue, rather recently.....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin -

there was an age when "refridgeration" was not invented; did not exist. that age lasted several billion / million / thousand of documented history years.

how did human kind get past that?

They typically died young and were happy for the little bit of time they had. :lol:

I realize refrigeration is new (and that vaccines and advances in medicine are a huge part of why we live longer today). I'm no purist, and I do thaw on the counter. I'm sure the Food Police are coming for me now......:hide:

I was (and always will be) curious as to how other cultures live. I happen to know several people in the UK, and one in Hamburg, Germany. So, I shot out a quick email, and that is cut-n-paste what they said. I just find it interesting.

It's like when I learned about Spotted Dick, I asked my UK friend about that. Or when DW got on a Keeping Up Appearances kick (UK TV Show), I asked him about that.

When I learned about Cheeseburger In A Can (only sold in Germany), I contacted my friend in Germany about that. He's sent me a lot of cool stuff from Germany, including a huge selection of Knorr seasoning packages for various dinners......can't read 'em, but I have 'em! :lol:

I usually ask him to translate one when I want to cook it. It's pretty cool.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
butter!

compare labels;
i'd as soon swoon, & then wither, than ingest margarine or spreads. i usually use salted butter, though i'll use unsalted, too- great w/ vegemite!

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have used nothing but butter on and in my food. The only margarine I have eaten is possibly in restaurants and when it first came out my grandmother tried it only to throw it out after trying it for baking and on some corn on the cob. However I was a kid at the time. My wife has never used it nor do I and much prefer unsalted to salted.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin, I have a neat link from an 1895 Montgomery Ward catalog that shows a dog-powered butter churn. I don't know how to strip the item out of the catalog to post here. If I send you the link, do you think you could do it?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Keltin, I have a neat link from an 1895 Montgomery Ward catalog that shows a dog-powered butter churn. I don't know how to strip the item out of the catalog to post here. If I send you the link, do you think you could do it?
SS I am not busy if you want post the link I can see if I can help.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I might be able to help with that if Keltin has not had time yet. Feel free to send me the link.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, peeps, I had not refreshed my screen to see that you had posted. You beat me by "that" much. :yum: :yum:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm going to post the link here. Go to the table of contents at the top, and choose Dairy Supplies.

Or just scroll down to page 568. On the right, there are 3 butter churns, one with lambs, one with 1 dog, and one double-dog. I thought they were a real hoot, especially with this discussion about making butter. Hopefully someone can pull them out and copy the pic here.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zWel51IwQ2AC&pg=PA549&lpg=PA549&dq=antique+banquet+banquet+piano+lamp&source=bl&ots=LQYQnWDPlj&sig=rkxnxkqHe09JHPoxMqKy8qahppc&hl=en&ei=oOnFTM_9J4GKlwel_qED&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=11&ved=0CFMQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=antique%20banquet%20banquet%20piano%20lamp&f=false

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'm going to post the link here. Go to the table of contents at the top, and choose Dairy Supplies.

Or just scroll down to page 568. On the right, there are 3 butter churns, one with lambs, one with 1 dog, and one double-dog. I thought they were a real hoot, especially with this discussion about making butter. Hopefully someone can pull them out and copy the pic here.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zW...&q=antique banquet banquet piano lamp&f=false
Ok on my way let me see if I CAN help.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is this what you had in mind.
I used a screen capture utility to get it.

Attachments

• dogpower_butter.jpg
    dogpower_butter.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 12

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

http://books.google.com/books?id=zW...&q=antique banquet banquet piano lamp&f=false
I'm sorry SS I don't think I can help. Maybe Doc or Keltin can do it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

If we had the original PDF or the catalog for scanning, quality would be better.

I’ve got them, but as you can see, enlarging by too much results in a rough looking picture.

Someone with Photoshop might be able to smooth the edges and touch these up a bit?

Attachments

• dog1.jpg
    dog1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 20
  • lamb.JPG
    lamb.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 20
  • lamb2.jpg
    lamb2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 20

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks guys! I just wanted to share the chuckles with everyone here that was interested in the homemade butter.

I still think they're a hoot!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
They are a hoot. Thanks for sharing them!

I wonder if I can get Cricket to help me make butter?

If they can train a shrimp to do it, surely I can get Cricket working on this??? :lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNEefWJ7LY[/ame]