Chili Question

LADawg

I found it interesting about what people ate with chili, but now I have another question. Well two in fact.
How many of you put beans and lots of tomato in chili?
How many of you cook chili the way it should be cooked with out beans, and tomatoes but using meat, chili peppers (or powder), other spices, onion and either water or beef stock?
What about it Chili Farmer, do you have a good chili recipe?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chili with beans and tomatoes/tomato sauce for me! See pic below.

I once made the winning recipe from the Terlingua, TX chili contest - took hours - cubed beef, layers of spices, no beans. Hated it - couldn't eat it and had to toss it out!

Lee

Attachments

• Smoked chili stuff 9.JPG
    Smoked chili stuff 9.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 333

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I found it interesting about what people ate with chili, but now I have another question. Well two in fact.
How many of you cook chili the way it should be cooked with out beans, and tomatoes but using meat, chili peppers (or powder), other spices, onion and either water or beef stock?

Sorry if you were taught that chili wasn't supposed to have beans. You were done a serious injustice. :ohmy:

Dark kidney beans & a big ole can of diced tomatoes for me, please. The rest of you might as well just go to Wendy's for your supposed chili. :yum:

Chili Con Carne
(Chili with meat)

Ingredients:

2-3 T Bacon drippings or butter
1/2 C Chopped onion
2# Ground beef or ground turkey
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1-2 15oz. can red kidney beans (drained)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Fresh grind pepper (more to taste)
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 Bay leaf (toss before serving)
2 T Crushed red pepper
2 T Yellow mustard
1 T Brown sugar
2 tsp Chili powder (more or less to taste…start with 1 tsp.)
1 lg. Fire roasted red pepper - diced

Optional garnish: Shredded Cheddar cheese; sour cream; saltine or oyster crackers; fresh bread & butter; crusty baguettes.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we use them in my family. my Dad won chili contests yearly. was once that i have met someone that was against chili w/ legumes. that (my family's) recipe roots to my Pap's army days.

Last edited:

Saliha

As chili isn´t any traditional food in here, I usually use spice mix with minced meat, onions, garlic and beans in tomato sauce. And some extra chili powder too.

More unusual is that I eat it with arabic-style pita bread.

:bonk:

Chili á la Saliha

1 bag of chili seasoning mix
500 ml water
400 g minced meat (browned ground beef)
4 cloves of garlic
1 jar beans in tomato sauce (400 g)
1 jar crushed tomatoes (400 g)
white pepper
chili powder
paprika powder
salt

Fry the minced meat and onions, season with salt and pepper.

Add water and seasoning mix, let it simmer for a couple of minutes.

Additional crushed tomatoes and beans in tomato sauce.

Allow to simmer for another 20 min.

Taste, add seasoning if necessary.

Serve with white bread, pita bread or tortillas and salad.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
...I make my chili wrong then

not even close.
what is wrong is the theory that there is one and only one definition of "authentic"

for some really strange reason, some people think that because they did it without beans and some other people did it with beans, the other guys are wrong.

there's a discussion floating about what makes a Philadelphia hoagie (and there are multiple spellings for that)

people who
- claim to have been born and raised in Philadelphia
are at odds with other people who
- claim to have been born and raised in Philadelphia
about whether
mayo
oil and vinegar
oil
vinegar
is the authentic definition of the thing.

it would be humorous except some people get really upset about it.

like how on earth do we deal with ice cream? the first / original / authentic version of ice cream most certainly did NOT include (((all the stuff of today))) - so is it still ice cream or something else?

chilefarmer

Ladawg, this is the recipe I use. Looks kinda hard but is not. CF

Old Texas Chili from Chili Gazette

This is a traditional purist chili and it is hearty. It is a one
chile chili and requires the use of the robust Ancho chile pod
in place of all other chiles. If you can't find Ancho by name
use the darkest pods you can find preferably either Mulato or
Pasilla ~ up to 8 pods for two pounds of meat. Old Texas Chili
generally allows the inclusion of only garlic, and 1 tablespoon
each of Cumin and Mexican Oregano, but for this recipe I bent
the rules and added a little Jalapeno. I have also specified
Olive Oil and lean beef trimmed of excess fat. Doesn't hurt to
cut the old cholesterol.
. Thiccken with masa harina or
flour added to water if needed. You might consider using 2 or 3
chiles to the pound if you are faint of heart. The dark chiles
have a very strong flavor. It does allow the addition of extra
incendiary devices. Namely Tepins or Pequins added to increase
the heat, 1 to 3 teaspoons as a recommended dosage, or tabasco
sauce, same dosage. As far as beans go, they are not allowed in
the chili pot, on your plate, or in your house while this chili
is on the premises.

Ingredients:

2 pounds lean beef trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

6-8 cloves garlic minced

2 Jalapenos - cored, seeded, and diced

1 Medium diced onion

1 quart of water, or 2 cans of chicken or beef broth

1 tablespoon each ground Cumin and ground Mexican Oregano

8 Ancho chile pods ( see above )

1 tablespoon olive oil

Instructions:

Lightly brown the beef, garlic, onion and jalapeno using olive oil in
a heavy skillet.

Transfer cooked mixture to cooking pot.

Drain fat, if any, deglaze skillet with water or broth by
bringing to boil. Turn off the heat, and add the stemmed and
seeded chile pods. Cover and allow the pods to soften for 20-30
minutes.

Transfer pods and some liquid to blender. Start blending on low
speed and increase to higher speed gradually. Add liquid as
necessary to keep puree moving until all liquid is incorporated
into the chili puree and it is smooth.

Pour sauce over meat, partially cover and simmer until tender.
The longer the better.

Add ground cumin and oregano approximately 1 hour before serving
to maintain their flavor.

Add small crushed red chiles or tabasco if more heat is desired.

Thicken, if required, with 2 tablespoons of masa harina or flour
added to a little water and cook uncovered an additional 20
minutes.

chilefarmer

JoeV, I love beans of all kinds. Just not in chile. Had not been for beans and rice we would of starved some winters. CF

LADawg

Chili with beans and tomatoes/tomato sauce for me! See pic below.

I once made the winning recipe from the Terlingua, TX chili contest - took hours - cubed beef, layers of spices, no beans. Hated it - couldn't eat it and had to toss it out!

Lee

Yep, any Terlingua chili recipe is going to take a lot of time, that's the nature of chili the way it was first cooked by trail cooks. They used fresh, unaged beef that was tough............
Anyway there was a man by the name of Frank X Tolbert who wrote a column for the Dallas Morning News for years. In fact he was one of the people that started the Terlingua cookoff. He wrote a book named A bowl of red that is about chili among other things and it is very interesting. Maybe a lot of libraries have a copy of it. Worth reading, if nothing else, just from an information standpoint.

LADawg

Seems like a lot of you are calling me out because I do not put beans and tomatoes in my chili. Now I grew up in Mississippi and my mother, may she rest in peace, was a very good southern country cook. What she cooked and we called chili had beans and some sort of tomatoes in it. It was very good tasty, but looking back I don’t think it was really chili. I lived in the DFW Metroplex long enough to learn what Texas chili tasted like and to find out that real chili has no beans, tomatoes, or rice.
Now if you like the bean and tomato soup that you cook and put some chili powder and ground cumin in it for additional flavor, good for you. You can even call it chili if you like, but to me it is a bean soup with some ground beef and some chili spices added for additional flavor……..
Sorry if you don’t agree. I will say this, it’s kind of like gumbo recipes in Louisiana. tTere are as many recipes for something called chili as there are chili cooks. Maybe not all of them are chili to some of us, but they are called chili never the less.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
He wrote a book named A bowl of red that is about chili among other things and it is very interesting. Maybe a lot of libraries have a copy of it. Worth reading, if nothing else, just from an information standpoint.

Yes, LA, I have heard of the book, but have not read it yet.

To be fair, as a former BBQ competition cook, I realize that judges need to be "grabbed" by just one or two bites of a competition entry. Thus, the flavorings used by the competition cook are sometimes bolder than those of an at-home cook.

I couldn't eat more than a spoonful of the winning chili contest entry - it was just too much of .... everything!

I like the sounds of the chili recipe that chilefarmer posted - I will try that!

Lee

P.S. I got a kick out of the last sentence in the paragraph before the recipe ingredients! Trash talking about chili is a riot!

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
...calling people out

I don't think it's quite that bad - but is absolutely required that one accept that some people use the same word for other recipes.

same for bbq
same for cornbread - with/without sugar
look at all the stuff people invent on "pizza"
etc
etc

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Seems like a lot of you are calling me out because I do not put beans and tomatoes in my chili.

I dunno about all that. Probably one of the neatest things about cooking is the variety shown by all the cooks. So many things and variety of things get called by the same name.

The earliest chile I can remember was made in my school cafeteria. They called it chile con carne. Yup, tomatoes, beans and other stuff. I never did a lot of research. When I started cooking I made my own variations of what I knew as chile.

I now have a whole new take on chile to explore. Small problem for me though, I like my food hotter than most everyone I cook for.

CF I have not heard of some of the chiles you mentioned, but, now I have to look, sounds yummy.

Thank you all
Andy

Last edited:

chilefarmer

CF I have not heard of some of the chiles you mentioned, but, now I have to look, sounds yummy.

Andy, your local Mexican store can be your friend. Check out the meats and prices while your there. Also I buy all my spices on the internet. Always fresh and good prices. CF

LADawg

...calling people out

I don't think it's quite that bad - but is absolutely required that one accept that some people use the same word for other recipes.

same for bbq
etc

I know what you mean. I shutter every time someone says that they are going to bar-b-que a steak or some hamburgers when in fact they are going to grill them.
Or better yet pour some Bar-B-que sauce over some chicken, cook it in the oven and call it bar-b-qued chicken.
:bonk:

LADawg

I might as well post my recipe for chili since I have talked so much about the subject. I made this recipe up several years ago and have stuck with it ever since.

BILLY BOB'S TEXAS CHILI

2 Pounds Course Ground Beef or Chopped Stew Meat
1 Can Beef Broth
1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
2 to 3 Cans Water
2 to 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Medium Chopped Onion
4 to 6 Tablespoon Chili Powder
Salt to Taste (about 1/2 Tsp.)
2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
2 Tablespoons Water

In a small bowl or jar with a lid, mix together the Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Flour, Black Pepper and Salt. In a cast iron Dutch oven or heavy pot heat Oil and add Beef, Onion and Garlic. Sauté‚ until the Meat starts to change color. Add the Chili Spices a little at a time, stirring to blend it with the Meat. After all of the Spices have been added, pour in the Beef Broth and 2 or 3 Cups of Water. Stir to mix. Cover and cook over low heat for about 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
Blend together the Corn Starch and the 2 Tablespoons of Water. Add it to the chili. Increase the heat to medium high and stir until the chili gets thick. Reduce heat to low and cook another 20 to 30 minutes.

Johnny West

I do authentic several times a year but the family likes beans and tomatoes so that's what I do most. As a matter of fact finished putting one together right now. I used Morningstar Prime Griller Crumbles instead of hamburger since my vegetarian will be here for dinner. There are 15 fresh tomatoes cooked down, half can tomato paste, whole chopped onion, 2 tsp minced garlic, tin of red beans, tin of pinto beans, two handfuls of chili powder, handful of roasted cumin, handful of marjoram, and a tsp of Spanish sea salt. I do have buffalo hot dogs and Nathan's for the chili dogs, though.

IMG_6112.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

...calling people out

same for bbq
same for cornbread - with/without sugar
look at all the stuff people invent on "pizza"
etc
etc

I grew up eating my mother's goulash when in fact it was chili mac. I don't hunk she followed a bonafide recipe.

I make an authentic Hungarian goulas that is to die for. I obtained a Hungarian cookbook while living in Germany - it was in English for the English tourist of the time.