Sunday, 1/16/2011, Whats cooking?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Soup and salad are planned for today. I have navy beans soaking for bean with bacon soup and a spinach salad will accompany it.

Any plans?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's not a hot/hot dish, but it's the one I've been wanting to make for "Cuba".. can't wait to see how it turns out myself.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Mom & new-Dad should be here soon; depending on the ingredients they arrive w/ dinner may be stuffed chix, though i'm considering eggplant parmesan~

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Not sure yet. I just started making bread for the freezer (Italian & honey whole wheat), and DS & his GF are supposed to be here later, so we'll see how many loaves they take home with them. I want to make up a 10# batch of Italian sausage for the freezer, but first I need to see who has pork butts at a decent price .

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I think that along with the soup and salad I may make some breaded and fried or stuffed mushrooms. I read somewhere that you should eat mushrooms everyday. We love mushrooms so this is great newws!! LOL

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I think that along with the soup and salad I may make some breaded and fried or stuffed mushrooms. I read somewhere that you should eat mushrooms everyday. We love mushrooms so this is great newws!! LOL
I think that was in the newsletter from the Mushroom Growers Association.:yum: I read a similar statement from the Pork Producers, Egg Producers,Beef Producers and Rum Producers Associations. Can you guess which one I believe?:whistling::yum::yum:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I think that was in the newsletter from the Mushroom Growers Association.:yum: I read a similar statement from the Pork Producers, Egg Producers,Beef Producers and Rum Producers Associations. Can you guess which one I believe?:whistling::yum::yum:
:yum: I read it on a nutrition website. Actually the whole thing read:

3 Foods to eat everyday:
1. Mushrooms (cooked preferably asian)
2. Whole soy products
3. Cabbage family foods

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I think we'll have leftovers today - one of us will have leftover sesame chicken and the other will have vegetable beef soup that I made yesterday. There's not enough of either for two servings, so I guess we'll draw straws to see who gets the sesame chicken!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've got chicken, carrots and ravioli stuffed with broccoli rabe. I'm thinking either marsala or picatta chicken, sauteed carrots and the ravioli.

buckytom

Grill Master
not sure yet. it's gonna be a stressful day.

i have a very important cub scout meeting to go to this afternoon, and dw is at a friend's memorial service. one of her best friend's sister passed away unexpectedly just before christmas, leaving lots of family grieving.

the scout meeting should be fun. i'm being introduced to the comittee as the new cubmaster - taking over in june, and our first order of business is to try to oust the old treasurer and install a new one.

since the current cubmaster is best friends with old treasurer, he really doesn't want to have to do the dirty work, so it looks like i'm going to have to be the heavy. i just hope there hasn't been any misappropriations of funds, or i might have to call in the council and the police.

wish me luck. i'll need it.

dinner will end up being from whomever winds up their crappy day first. an irish 7 course meal would be fine for me. (a six pack and a potato, lol)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It sucks BT. Good luck. Sometimes, you just gotta bite the bullet and do what's best for the kids.

GotGarlic

I'm planning on German sausage and potato soup with a green salad. Need to get DH to the store so I can get it started ... :wink:

Sorry about your crummy day, BT. Hope things get better.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Early dinner today because daughter has to work on a class project with a classmate.

Spinach Salad topped with bacon & mushrooms (Dressed with Basil Vinaigrette with whole grain Dijon mustard added)

011611_spinach_salad.jpg

Mushrooms breaded and deep fried in only bacon grease. (OMG were they good!! Not greasy at all because the fat was very hot and sealed the breading instantly, this kept all of the wonderful mushroom juice inside until bitten. I will be doing that again)

011611_breaded_mushrooms_frying.jpg

011611_breaded_fried_mushrooms_.jpg

011611_cut_breaded_fried_mushrooms_.jpg

011611_breaded_fried_mushrooms_spinach_salad.jpg

Homemade Bean with Smoked Ham & Bacon Soup (This is a first run for this recipe and I did it in the pressure cooker. I soaked the navy beans overnight and it only took 8 minutes to cook them)

011611_bean_bacon_soup.jpg

Leni

I'm going to grill hamburgers and make fries. It's nice today. Not too hot and the wind has died down.

mhend

Peeps, I want some of those mushrooms now! The soup looks great too! Did you like the pressure cooker? I've been thinking about getting one.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, I want some of those mushrooms now! The soup looks great too! Did you like the pressure cooker? I've been thinking about getting one.
Thank you Mary!

The beans cooked in 8 minutes compared to the 3+ hours it would have taken in a regular pot. I love the quick cooking pressure cooker!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Very nice Peeps! That soup looks wonderful!

I made grilled chicken salads for dinner

Attachments

• dinner01162011.jpg
    dinner01162011.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 257

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I helped install a new garage door opener at my mom's house, and fixed a wheel cylinder leak on my Jeep ...so my wife made Texas Chili. Not just any Texas chili this was a special concoction sent to my by Bams. Special instruction along with secret ingredients. It came out awesome. Thanks so much Bams!!!!!!! Only wish I had pics to share. It was a busy day or I would have.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We started with mojitos, then arroz con plollo and sweet plantains in rum. It was the best meal of my Cuban trip. I'll post about it over there in a little while. Right now, Desperate Housewives is about to start.

Attachments

• arroz con pollo 018.jpg
    arroz con pollo 018.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 275

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Very nice Peeps! That soup looks wonderful!

I made grilled chicken salads for dinner

Thank you Mama! I love grilled chicken salad!! That looks yummy!!

We started with mojitos, then arroz con plollo and sweet plantains in rum. It was the best meal of my Cuban trip. I'll post about it over there in a little while. Right now, Desperate Housewives is about to start.
WOW SS!! That has such wonderful flavors, colors and textures!! YUMMY!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Omg Peeps, the salad, the mushrooms, the soup!
Mama, that salad is just gorgeous and Sage, your Cuban dish is the bomb.. wow..

Well, it did turn out really tasty, but next time I plan a dish for one of our cooking endeavours, I'll make damn sure I have enough of everything on hand.:neutral:
2011-01-16 17-27-50.375.jpg

Even a ninja rice would have helped. :yum:

buckytom

Grill Master
wow, peeps!!!! your phood has improved as much as your fotography.

lol.

not that i'm a legitimate judge in either catagory, far less in your culinary expertise actually, but i couldn't resist the linguistic interplay.

your pics really are nice.