NCT Cooks Challenge Week 3 - May 17-24 Cheese

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
1. (and in no particular order, either, just number 1 because someone has to be...) stuffed, filled or layered pasta.
2. Pasta (unstuffed, filled or otherwise layered)
3. Chicken
4. Duck
5. Turkey
6. Fowl (yeah, you can also do one for the previous three)
7. Fish - with scales and fins
8. Shellfish and things that live in shells
9. Something from the ocean/pond/lake/stream/river/puddle
10. Cow
11. Pig
12. Ground Cow
13. Smoked Pig
14. Eggs
15. Cheese
16. Cream
17. Your favourite spice
18. Your favourite herb
19. Breakfast
20. Salad
21. Soup (cream or broth type, but not stew, cause..hey, we need a bigger list)
22. Stew
23. Italian
24. French
25. Middle Eastern
26. Chinese
27. Mexican
28 BBQ/Grill/Smoker
29. Pain/Bread/Manna
30 Tomato
31. Seasonal vegetable of your choice (must be 'in' season)
32. Family Favourite
33. Dessert

The winner for next week, volume 3 is Cheese! Week of May 17th through May 24, Monday through Monday.

Good Times!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Cheese? ............................ Alfredo!!!!!

Nothing showcases good hard Italian cheeses better than combining them simply with cream and serving over pasta.

I use a mixture of parmigiano reggiano, asiago, and pecorino romano.
Saute a bit of garlic in olive oil. Add heavy cream and reduce until it coats a spoon. Pour over cooked fettuccine and toss with as much grated cheese as it will absorb. If you use enough cheese, it will thicken the sauce. I like to add a little fresh basil.

Saute the shrimp in olive oil with garlic, and place around the plate.

Salt & pepper throughout the process, of course.

Now, before you think this is just a small little plate of food, take a look at the size of those shrimp! My handspan is 9 1/4 inches, and I have men's oversized grips on my golfclubs. Then look at the plate again with that sense of proportion.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 258

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Cheese? ............................ Alfredo!!!!!

Nothing showcases good hard Italian cheeses better than combining them simply with cream and serving over pasta.

I use a mixture of parmigiano reggiano, asiago, and pecorino romano.
Saute a bit of garlic in olive oil. Add heavy cream and reduce until it coats a spoon. Pour over cooked fettuccine and toss with as much grated cheese as it will absorb. If you use enough cheese, it will thicken the sauce. I like to add a little fresh basil.

Saute the shrimp in olive oil with garlic, and place around the plate.

Salt & pepper throughout the process, of course.

Now, before you think this is just a small little plate of food, take a look at the size of those shrimp! My handspan is 9 1/4 inches, and I have men's oversized grips on my golfclubs. Then look at the plate again with that sense of proportion.

ACK!

:w00t:

That dish is a thing of beauty!! Wonderful! :clap:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I wasn't going to post these because they aren't very spectacular but what the heck!!

tomato_mozzarella_basil_052010_P1050644.jpg

Layered tomato and mozzarella slices with fresh basil chiffonade, baby spinach and hard boiled egg slices, genoa salami and provolone pinwheels. All dressed with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

coldcut_tomato_plate_052110_P1050663.JPG

Will they do?

Last edited:

GotGarlic

Looks really good to me! :smile: This isn't a contest on photo spectaculousness! (I'm sure that's not a word, but I like it) :wink:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Looks really good to me! :smile: This isn't a contest on photo spectaculousness! (I'm sure that's not a word, but I like it) :wink:
thank you very much GG but my comment was to the simple nature of the dishes not the photos. :yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I guess I should enter my spaghetti squash:

1 (4-5 lb) Spaghetti Squash
1 can (15 ounce) Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano
1 bunch of fresh spinach
1 to 1/2 cups of Shredded Parmesan Cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds.
Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and lay the squash on the baking sheet cut side down. Bake at 350 degrees F until tender (about 45 minutes). Remove for the oven.

While you are waiting for the squash to cool for a few minutes, combine the diced tomatoes and spinach in a large skillet. Cook until the spinach is wilted. Set aside.

Use a fork to remove the inside of the squash...it will come out looking like spaghetti. Add the squash and the Parmesan Cheese to the tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss gently.

Attachments

• spaghettisquash.jpg
    spaghettisquash.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 293

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yum, everything is looking great! I've got a 6 cheese lasagna on the menu tonight. I haven't made a lasagna in a long time, so we'll see if it comes out of the pan right or slides all over the plate in a big messy goo. Fingers crossed :blush:.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yum, everything is looking great! I've got a 6 cheese lasagna on the menu tonight. I haven't made a lasagna in a long time, so we'll see if it comes out of the pan right or slides all over the plate in a big messy goo. Fingers crossed :blush:.
I am sure it will look and taste fantastic!! I can't wait to see it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
If you have the Food Network Channel, turn it on NOW! Iron Chef America with Cat Kora is: Battle Cheddar Cheese!!!

I'm watching for inspiration! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm going...I'm going...I love Cat Cora! :wink:

She Rocks! I wish they would use her and Marimoto more often! Flay gets too much tube time if you ask me.

Then again.....WHO can win against Marimoto! He is incredible!! :w00t:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Magnificent plates everyone!!!!! I just got home and intend to spend the day packing...so I may not play today.. I have no plates left to take pictures of, anyway:bonk:!!

After spending 3 days in New Orleans, it occurs to me that there is very very little in the way of cheese shoppes, so my cafe may be turning into a cheese and wine shoppe. I see a one night a week pairing for small groups. Like a way to teach people how to serve a cheese course with their meals.... The banker loved the idea!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Cooksie, now that's CHEESE! It looks scrumptious! :clap:

I'll bet tomorrow, after it's cooled a bit, the leftovers will come right out in neat squares. I always find that when the cheese is hot, my layers slide all over the place, but that's when I like it best!