Lemongrass Beef Stirfry

K

Kimchee

1 stalk fresh lemongrass
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup holy basil (Thai basil)
2 shallots, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 Thai chili, minced (more for more heat)
1 1/2 pound beef sirloin, very cold for ease of slicing, sliced very thin
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

If using fresh lemongrass, trim ends, using the back of a chef knife bang the length of the stalk to bruise, then cut into 3 to 4 largish pieces.

Heat oil over medium high in a wok. Add basil and fry for 20-30 seconds, stirring to cook evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Next add shallots, garlic, and chili along with lemongrass. Cook for 1 1/2-2 minutes until all begin to soften. Remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and reserve. Discard lemongrass.

Working in 2 batches, cook meat for 30-45 seconds per batch depending on desired doneness. In a small bowl mix fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Add meat back to pan along with cooked shallots, garlic, chilies, fish/soy sauce mixture, and fried basil. Cook for another minute to allow flavors to combine. Serve with white rice.

(I prefer to finely chop the lemongrass tender ends and leave it in.)

1 stalk fresh lemongrass
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup holy basil (Thai basil)
2 shallots, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 Thai chili, minced (more for more heat)
1 1/2 pound beef sirloin, very cold for ease of slicing, sliced very thin
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

If using fresh lemongrass, trim ends, using the back of a chef knife bang the length of the stalk to bruise, then cut into 3 to 4 largish pieces.

Heat oil over medium high in a wok. Add basil and fry for 20-30 seconds, stirring to cook evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Next add shallots, garlic, and chili along with lemongrass. Cook for 1 1/2-2 minutes until all begin to soften. Remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and reserve. Discard lemongrass.

Working in 2 batches, cook meat for 30-45 seconds per batch depending on desired doneness. In a small bowl mix fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Add meat back to pan along with cooked shallots, garlic, chilies, fish/soy sauce mixture, and fried basil. Cook for another minute to allow flavors to combine. Serve with white rice.

(I prefer to finely chop the lemongrass tender ends and leave it in.)

I'm a big fan of Thai & Asian dishes. I've never worked with lemongrass or thai basil. The combo of flavors sound delish. I should look for the ingredients & experiment more. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

K

Kimchee

You might be tempted to get a tube of lemongrass paste, but don't. It isn't
worth the money, no taste at all.
Lemongrass is pretty tough stuff, but the white part is fairly tender.
I love Thai and Asian too. It was painful... I had to throw out my fish sauce,
Sriracha, hoisin, oyster sauce, soy, kepac manin and a slew of other flavorings...
Ran out of room in my truck when I moved recently. Sigh.
But on the bright side... I get to go shopping!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of Thai & Asian dishes. I've never worked with lemongrass or thai basil. The combo of flavors sound delish. I should look for the ingredients & experiment more. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Lemongrass is easy to grow in a large pot and is a staple in Thai and Cambodian cooking. It, along with Kaffir lime are worth the effort and make good houseplants and ingredients.