Potato and Egg Frittata (sandwich)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Most Italian sub shops in my area have this sub on their menu. Sometimes they offer it with green peppers and/or onions, but most often, just potatoes and eggs.

It always sounded odd to me, but one of the guys I work with was telling me about making it, so I tried it for breakfast today.

Very easy!

I fried up a really small Yukon Gold potato in some canola oil until brown. Drained the potatoes, and dumped out the leftover oil. Put half of the potatoes back in the pan, scrambled up 2 eggs, salt and pepper, and cooked the mixture until done on the bottom. Slid the frittata onto a plate, uncooked side up. Invert the frying pan over the frittata and flip. Cook another minute until that side is done.

I still think it's odd to have a potato sandwich, so I just ate the frittata with a fork. Good, but kind of bland.

Next time I may eat it on a roll and top it with a slice of provolone.

Lee

Attachments

• Potatoes, fryied.JPG
    Potatoes, fryied.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Potatoes, fried, drained.JPG
    Potatoes, fried, drained.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Potato and egg frittata.JPG
    Potato and egg frittata.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 144

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That looks good Lee! I'd eat that in a heartbeat! Maybe next time add some chives…..I'm a chive nut and add them to about anything with potatoes in it. :lol:

This got me wondering, what is the difference between an omelet and a frittata???

Google to the rescue! :yum:

Question:

What is the difference between omelets and frittatas?

Answer:

In the strictest sense, the difference boils down to a matter of folding in a filling rather than mixing it in. Omelets traditionally have the egg mixture cooked and folded around a filling, while a frittata just mixes it all up, cooked in a mishmash combination all at once. Frittatas are often served at room temperature, making them perfect for brunches or larger groups.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqomelet.htm

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That sounds alot like it is derived from a Spanish tortilla, a very popular item both here and in Spain. When I was in Spain, I had this served as tapas, cut in little wedges. They are widely available here in the dairy case - just take it home and heat it up. They often have herbs and/or jalapenos added. Very good.

homecook

It looks really good Lee. But I agree, I would have to add onions/peppers or something else to it. lol

Deelady

Thats exactly what I know it to be as Karen said.....Spanish Tortillas are one of my favs! and I have always enjoyed them most at room temp!
Great pics Lee!!