Black Bottom Espresso Cupcakes

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
These cupcakes are very special and must be refrigerated. They are quite fabulous for something so easy to make. You will recognize that they are very similar to what is sold in high-end, tony coffeeshops at big prices. They were a favorite of my Beloved Father.
Pie Susan

Black Bottom Espresso Cupcakes
Based on a recipe from 365 Great Chocolate Desserts by Natalie Haughton
dairy, yields 20 cupcakes

Ingredients for cupcake batter:
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teapoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Ingredients for cream cheese filling:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 Tablespoon espresso powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips

Directions for cupcakes batter:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place your rack in the center of the oven.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the dry ingrediets with an electric mixer on slow speed. Next, add the liquid ingredients and beat on medium speed until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Line muffin tins with paper liners so that you have 20 cupcakes--each one with be 2-1/2 inche in diameter. Divide batter amongst the 20 cupcakes.

Directions for cream cheese filling:
In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the first six ingredients on medium speed until smooth. Then, stir in the mini chocolate chips.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese filling onto the center of each cupcake. Bake the cupcaes for 20-25 minutes (watch the time, they may get done sooner), or until cupcakes spring back when lightly toughed. Let the cupcakes cool in the muffin pans for 5 minutes and then very carefully unmold to cool completely and place on wire racks. (They will be hot, I use an offset spatula to help me).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, Susan, I want to make these, but am not sure I'm picturing this.

When you spoon the T of cream cheese filling onto the batter, does it then sort of melt and spread to cover the top of the cupcake? Which then becomes the bottom after it's baked and turned upside-down?

When you say "unmold", do you mean "take them out of the muffin pan and pull off the paper liner"?

What if my muffin tins are non-stick? Do I still have to use paper liners?

Finally, I LOVE coffee and chocolate flavors together! How could I work some espresso powder into the cupcake batter to make it even more mocha-y?

Yummm!

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Okay, Susan, I want to make these, but am not sure I'm picturing this.

When you spoon the T of cream cheese filling onto the batter, does it then sort of melt and spread to cover the top of the cupcake?

No, some of the cream cheese batter remains on the top but it sinks into the middle of the cupcake.

Which then becomes the bottom after it's baked and turned upside-down?

Black Bottom refers to a dessert that has chocolate in the bottom or lower layer. For example, here are black bottom pies and a black bottom tiramisu. The chocolate cupcake part is the black bottom the cream cheese falls into the middle but a bit shows through on top. You do not turn them upside down. You eat them right side up.

When you say "unmold", do you mean "take them out of the muffin pan and pull off the paper liner"?

Take them out of the muffin tin. I highly recommend paper liners, as these will stay fresher longer that way.

Finally, I LOVE coffee and chocolate flavors together! How could I work some espresso powder into the cupcake batter to make it even more mocha-y?

They are very mocha-y already. Why not make a batch as written and see for yourself. You can always add more espresso powder in another batch but for me the balance of flavors is perfect.

Yummm!

Lee

Enjoy!
Pie Susan

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Lee, you want to you find:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medaglia D'Oro Caffè Espresso Instant[/FONT]
It has a strong coffee flavor. It comes in two oz size jars and is a fine grained instant espresso powder. Maida Heatter uses it when she speaks of baking with coffee powder.
http://www.medagliadoro.com/