Fresh Hash Browns with Onions

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hash Browns have been the bane of my cooking career for some time. I’ve tried many a technique, but none resulted in the perfect hash brown “cake” that I wanted. Then I saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown, and he used a little flip technique that has changed the way I make Hash Brown. Finally, I’ve beat them!

This recipe is enough for 2 good hash brown. Double, triple, etc, as needed.

Fresh Hash Browns with Onions

Ingredients

2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and shredded (use a box grater)
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
Olive Oil

Procedure

In a large bowl shred/grate the raw and peeled potatoes. Now get a paper towel and put all of that shredded flesh in it. Next, wrap tight and squeeze several times to get the excess moisture out. Clean and dry the bowl and then return the squeeze dried potato flesh to the bowl.

In a small pan (such as a non-stick “egg” pan), add some Olive Oil and the onions. Sautee until translucent, about 6 minutes. Once done, pour them into the squeeze dried potatoes flesh. Now use a spoon to stir and incorporate the onions and oil into the potato flesh.

Add another tablespoon of oil to the small pan. Now, grab the potato flesh and form into a patty like you would a hamburger. Slip the patty into the pan, and use a spoon to push the shape together as needed. Cover the pan with foil and allow to cook 6-8 minutes or until nicely browned.

Now, the big trick!

Get a plate, as flat as possible, and cover the top of the pan (remove the foil first). Pick the whole construct up, holding the plate tightly against the top of the pan, and then flip it all over so that the hash brown flips onto the plate. Now return the pan to the heat, then slide the hash brown off of the plate and back into the pan (if needed, spray the plate with Pam to help the slide). Cover the pan again with aluminum foil and cook another 6-8 minutes or until done. If you like, you can flip it one more towards the end using the same plate trick. When ready, slide it out of the pan and serve.

The freshly shredded potatoes, squeeze dried.
Step_1-60.jpg

The onions sautéing.
Step_2-59.jpg

Add the onions to the potatoes.
Step_3-52.jpg

Form a patty and slide it into the pan.
Step_4-47.jpg

Use a plate for the “flip trick” and then cook the other sides (covered).
Step_5-40.jpg

Plated!
Step_6-35.jpg

Time to dig in!
Step_7-27.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ummmm, sounds good Keltin. I'm guessing you've tried flipping them with a spatula and they fall apart.
I love hash browns and those sure look good. Your making me hungry ...and it is about time for breakfast. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Love hash browns and this is pretty much the same as my ingredients too. I do flip with a large spatula though.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yep, I tried flipping with a spatula, and they always came apart on me. I really was going to give up on fresh grated Hash Browns until I learned this flip trick. I've actually got a small, flat "cookie" sheet that came with our toaster oven. It's roughly 12 inches square and works great for this.

Last edited:

Blues Man

man those look good. I too have always struggled to make great home-made hash browns. I will try these with the plate method.

Thanks.............

lesley

Keltin

My 1st memory on visiting the US was Hash Browns!!

I just adore them, I so glad you posted this! We never get them the same here, but I've copied & pasted!!

Cheers..:respect:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I put some flour in my hash browns and it's just enough to keep them from falling apart when flipping them. I also have developed a technique for flipping things with a spatula that don't usually flip well (eggs and hash browns to name two). It's an upwards motion with the spatula under the item, and then quickly dropping the pan while flipping the item in mid air to be caught by the waiting pan below. I will say it is easier said than done, but once you figure it out it works pretty darn good. Then there is always the pan flip that you see chefs do so proficiently on TV.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I put some flour in my hash browns and it's just enough to keep them from falling apart when flipping them. I also have developed a technique for flipping things with a spatula that don't usually flip well (eggs and hash browns to name two). It's an upwards motion with the spatula under the item, and then quickly dropping the pan while flipping the item in mid air to be caught by the waiting pan below. I will say it is easier said than done, but once you figure it out it works pretty darn good. Then there is always the pan flip that you see chefs do so proficiently on TV.

I've got the pan flip down pat for fried eggs. Works perfectly. I tried it ONCE with Hash Browns....I don't want to talk about it! :yum::yum::yum::yum: