Windows 8 Tips

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've read of quite a few folks suffering with or fighting Windows 8 since it came on your new computer. I don't have it yet, but eventually I'm sure I will. So lets share tips to help ease the collective pain for all.

Here is one I ran into today. Seems many folks miss the old start menu functionality. Well, it's not completely gone .....

right-click the Start button.

When you do, a bare-bones “contextual” menu will appear, complete with many of the shortcuts that used to sit in the Start menu—everything from “Programs” and “File Manager” to “Control Panel” and “Run.”

Select “Search” to quickly open the Windows 8.1 search panel on the right side of the screen, or “Shut down or sign out” to choose an options for snoozing, locking, or powering down your system.

Ian M.

Okay group, I've read all the rants about windows 8 and agree wholeheartedly with what everyone has to say - but I'll go you one bigger and more annoying thing even than that - has anyone had the experience of trying to type on the new curved, split keyboard? What a PIA!! I was told by the salesperson that these were designed primarily for people who do a great deal of work on a computer and these are supposed to hold your wrist at an angle to avoid carpal tunnel. Right!! But the position is awkward and your fingers never are where you think they are - when you get done typing it looks like you were writing in Sanskrit!! There's a one inch riser on the front side of the keyboard which creates the odd angle of the board - such a pain that we immediately removed it (thank goodness the bloody thing unscrews, just before I did) and comes off. That gave me at least a flat surface keyboard - after a fashion - but it's still curved across the top and the keys are split across - half the letters on one side of the board, the other half on the other side. It gets confusing until you get the hang of it.

To say I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it - may give you a clue as to what I think of it!

Ian :bonk: (for getting myself talked into buying this thing!)

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
seems people luv' or people hate 'em - not a lot a middle ground.

I think you have to "adapt" to them - the odd now&then usage is really ugly....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
These are not required for win anything.

I love my logitech kb with the backlit keys. I work in a dark room with just the screen on and the kb lit when i am not on a handheld.

K

Kimchee

My best tip for windows 8 so far is netplwiz.
Right click the windows icon in the corner and pick Run.
Type in netplwiz...
and you will be able to bypass the bothersome sign in screen forevermore.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My DD's pc is still win 8, no 8.1 update yet. Does she need it? Because it says she is all up to date no new updates available.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Anyone know if the 'snipping tool' made it from win7 to win8? I find it very handy for screen capture and it's loaded as part of the OS.
To see if it is in Win8 go to Run, and type in snipping tool it should come up and let you drag a rectangle area and save it. easy peezy. I hope it's in win8 too.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
8.1 probably shows up as an 'optional' update - vs. the 'required' updates which (can) happen (if selected) automatically.

she may or may not "see" it, depending on how she is accessing the MS Update function.

>>need it?
technically no. practically, that's a definite perhaps maybe.
it's a huge 'update' - in theory is was for the interface only, however it is so big many nerds are of the opinion MS updated a whole lot more than they are admitting to.

she should be aware, installing 8.1 means getting a new interface and re-re-re-re-learning all the usual and common stuff she just re-re-re-re-learned going from WinXX to Win8 - so plan accordingly. updating the night before the thesis is due, not a good idea.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Okay group, I've read all the rants about windows 8 and agree wholeheartedly with what everyone has to say - but I'll go you one bigger and more annoying thing even than that - has anyone had the experience of trying to type on the new curved, split keyboard? What a PIA!! I was told by the salesperson that these were designed primarily for people who do a great deal of work on a computer and these are supposed to hold your wrist at an angle to avoid carpal tunnel. Right!! But the position is awkward and your fingers never are where you think they are - when you get done typing it looks like you were writing in Sanskrit!! There's a one inch riser on the front side of the keyboard which creates the odd angle of the board - such a pain that we immediately removed it (thank goodness the bloody thing unscrews, just before I did) and comes off. That gave me at least a flat surface keyboard - after a fashion - but it's still curved across the top and the keys are split across - half the letters on one side of the board, the other half on the other side. It gets confusing until you get the hang of it.

To say I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it - may give you a clue as to what I think of it!

Ian :bonk: (for getting myself talked into buying this thing!)

i luv mine, tho its design is a 'lil different than other ones. my on-screen keyboard that u click on via mouse is okay, too.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kewl. Good info, some stuff I sure did not know about the snipping tool. Glad it is carried over to win8. :thumb: Thanks CM

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yesterday, I got an e-mail confirmation from Hewlett Packard, saying that they've reintroduced Windows 7 back into some of their pc's, in addition to still offering Windows 8 in some of them.

I think that this move helps give prospective customers the better option to choose between the two operating systems, instead of just being forced into getting a pc featuring Windows 8!

And I still want a laptop featuring Windows 7.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Chowder - I updated all my machines to 8.1. Just for curiosity, I tried to back out and found out that there is no uninstall option for 8.1. It is indeed a new O/S

Sherm - .........

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the MS blurb sez Windows 7 - but just checked on the W8 machine -

Win+R key - brings up the "Run" box - enter psr - brings up the step recorder.

brothjoke

Cheers for the tips. I couldn't believe they removed the Start button!!? Thankfully you can get third party buttons now. I think it's back on 8.1 though.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The start key is back on 8.1 it takes you to the tiles screen though.

Right click the start key and you get a techie helpful menu.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
last I heard - subject to changes ala minute....

8.1 was offered as an 'optional' update.
it's there but does not install automatically.

do not be misled thinking it 'restores the screen' ala prior version of Windows.

it does, and it does not. it's a mix of cobbled up user demand for a Start button and Win8(.x) theory of ceramic - aka very dense and very hard - tiles.

before even thinking about going to the 8.1 update, check with the PC's maker web site for tips, tricks, warnings, etc.
updating to 8.1 has a not-so-good-success track record on all machines / configurations.