Lasseiz le bon temps roulle!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
16 hours from now and Lou and I will be jet bound for the Satchmo Summer Fest in the Big Easy.
We have some firm plans and some loose plans...
Friday we expect to have lunch at Mother's for the famous Ferdi, dressed, of course. We're doing the Satchmo strut crawl Friday night which is entrance to about a dozen jazz clubs on Frenchmen Street - looking to see Leah Chase, Ellis Marsalis, Charmaine Neville, and about 5 other bands we've got an interest in seeing. That ends at 2am.

Saturday is brunch at Elizabeth's (their bar opens at 9!) and then back into the Quarter for the outdoor music associated with the festival. 3or 4 stages all playing all the time..well, from noon ti 7pm, anyway. We're seeing John Boutte at dba back on Frenchmen street at 7pm...at some point in time, we'll fit a couple more meals in.

Sunday Croissant D'Or for the best pastries in the world. The almond croissant is what dreams are made of. More music for the festival through out the day. We have early dinner reservations at Upperline and then Preservation Hall for some more jazz.

Monday is the street car out of the Quarter to Camilla Grill. It's a place that you have to experieince to appreciate. You can have your eggs grilled in butter or butter substitute, and they have no reservatons about putting this substitute right there on the table, with you. Great pecan waffles. We have 5:30 dinner reservations at Cochon and then plans to see Charmaine Nevile again at Snug Harbour. If it's not too oppressive, we want to ride bikes over to City Park at some point.

Tuesday is back at Croissant D'Or and then an attempt to get into Willie Mae's Scotch House for the best fried chicken in the south. 7pm dinner at Pascale's Manale for bbq shrimp. The Rebirth Brass Band plays at the Maple Leaf at 10pm.

Before we leave on Wednesday afternoon, we have to go to Port of Call to get 6 orders of burgers and baked potatoes to go...because everyone we know wants a burger.

Either my liver is going to explode from all the drinking we plan to do or I'm going to gain 10 pounds from all the good food we are predicting.

Don't know if I'll be able to post any pictures from down there...if not, you'll all just have to wait till we get home, and then probably wait till the weekend, too!!

LASSEIZ LE BON TEMPS ROULLE!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I would wish you a fantastic time, but you seem to have done that for yourself already. Looking forward to the pictures...at some point. Any room in your luggage for a stowaway?????:wub::yum:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great! And I think I recognize some of those names from when DW and I went down there, but that was almost 10 years ago!
I do remember taking the street car out to the Garden District, what a beautiful neighborhood!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
WooHoo! I'm so excited for you, VB! I know you and Lou will have the best time ever. (I can't wait to see the pics.)

GotGarlic

Sounds great :smile: You've probably done this before, Vera, but the one and only time I've been to New Orleans, we toured one of the above-ground cemeteries with the elaborate tombs. I was helping to chaperone a group of teenage exchange students - it was fun and nerve-wracking at the same time :shock: I loved New Orleans and can't wait to go back. Have a great time.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Everyone!!
We got back later than expected. Its always Newark airports fault! Went into work yesterday to another headache. I expected mountains of paperwork to sift through but I didn't expect the one person who's been handling the cold catering to call out sick the day I return, leaving me with a party for 30 people, 8 different food items, due at 11am completely unprepped. I'm bushed!
So, the trip was magnificent and I have tons of pictures but I've got to sift through them first. I'll start posting stories and pictures this weekend.
xoxoxoxox