Windows Vista Service Pack 2

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks, but I live in a Mac home. Do you need to buy a bigger drive for these SP's or do they automatically come with one?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Oh the joys o the PC wars. I, and most of my customers, have successfully avoided Vista. I can still get and sell XP, fortunately.

Funny thingis that I was forced into installing Windows server 2008 last week. The bg laugh is that the service pack that you pointed out is for BOTH Vista and Server 2008. That speaks volumes.

Kei - Windows 7 Release candidate 1 is available for download

Kei

Oh the joys o the PC wars. I, and most of my customers, have successfully avoided Vista. I can still get and sell XP, fortunately.

Funny thingis that I was forced into installing Windows server 2008 last week. The bg laugh is that the service pack that you pointed out is for BOTH Vista and Server 2008. That speaks volumes.

Kei - Windows 7 Release candidate 1 is available for download
Yes but I was going to wait. I figured they would make a few more tweaks on it even though it is a release candidate. I probably should download it anyways just to see if it's worth getting.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I always liked XP and Media Center. I was thinking of going back to them when the kids computers got here loaded with Vista basic cause they sucked, but then mine got here with Vista Premium and it has run well from the start so I am thinking I will just upgrade them to match mine.
No problems with Premium yet; knock on wood, fingers crossed throwing salt over my shoulder LOL.

FryBoy

Microsoft: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

My desktop is a Dell Studio 540 with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor (4 processors, 1333MHz system bus, 6MB L2 cache, 2.33 GHz per core), 8GB of RAM, and two 640GB SATA RAID drives. It came with Vista 64-Bit, SP1 installed (I needed a computer fast as my old one died, and I didn't have 3 to 4 weeks to order one with XP directly from Dell and instead bought this one from Best Buy -- which means BB handles the warranty -- not a good thing).

Anyway, I downloaded Vista SP2, not a big deal because I have a 10MBPS cable connection. But it would NOT install, giving me an obscure error message that seemed to indicate that something was missing from my hard drive. Surprisingly, at least to me, since it's a security update, Microsoft provides free support. To make a very long story short, I've spent the last two days on the phone and via Internet connections with tech representatives and software engineers in India. They've been amazingly good and extremely patient -- I must have taken at least 8 to 10 hours of their time so far. And they speak English very well, albeit with a thick but understandable accent.

After trying several different ways to install the damn thing, we gave up and decided to do a system repair, which reverts the OS to the condition it was in when the computer was new. In theory, that should repair or replace or install whatever was missing and causing the problem.

However, that was yesterday, and the repair was to be done today. One step had been for me to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2009. I decided that if I was to use the computer last night or this morning to check my e-mail, I should reinstall Norton. No go, would not reinstall. I tried NAV, Kaspersky, and ZA but one of them would install. Finally I was able to get McAfee to work.

The software engineer called at 9:30 a.m. It's now 5:45 p.m., and I was on the phone or web with him most of the day. We got the repair done, but now I need to reinstall about a dozen drivers. The computer couldn't even see the network after the install, nor was the display driver to be found. The driver for my chipset has been running nearly 2 hours! He's calling me again at 9:30 tomorrow morning.

This thing is apparently another POS from M$, but I must say I've been impressed with the free help they've offered. Too bad it's necessary.

I'd switch to MAC, but it doesn't run the software I need and prefer.

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
old joke about windows..lol

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1. They replicate quickly. ... Okay, Windows does that.

2. Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so. ... Okay, Windows does that.

3. Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk. ... Okay, Windows does that too.

4. Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. ... Sigh.. Windows does that, too.

5. Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. ... Yup, Windows does that, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus. ... It's a bug.