Thursday 8/25/2011 What's cookin'?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have some lovely asparagus and some English muffins (not easy to find here), so I'm thinking I might make some shrimp Eggs Benedict for dinner, with a side of asparagus. I also have a big bag of real yellow lemons to make some hollandaise. Anyway, that's the plan for now.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Shrimp Eggs Benedict sounds interesting, can't wait to see it!

I'm going to do something with won ton wrappers and ground pork.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'll be making this up as I go along...let me know how many eggs to cook, mama! I'd be SO happy to set an extra spot at the table for you.

The plan is chicken rollatini/involtini stuffed w/ prosciutto or salami & mozzarella or provolone (whatever grabs me at the deli), orzo & brussels sprouts.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We had pan fried burgers, mashed red skins & gravy, steamed broccoli and carrots. No pics tonight.

Embryodad

Hot....Hot....Hot!!!

Wow!...Just the way I like it.

Sausage Cacciatori.....

Hot Italian sausage..( Browned and then each link cut in three diagonal pieces)/ green peppers / long hot red peppers seeded / sun dried tomatoes / celery pieces / onions cut thick N. to S. strips . Kicked it up with hot salsa, and hot sliced cherry peppers. No Patati.. I am not a potato lover with sauce. DW is, but she would never eat this flame thrower.

I ate a small portion to taste and dunk the bread roll till it was all gone to the tummy.

It's all mine or DD's because no one else will eat that hot and firey.

Tomorrow I am gonna make some Mastacciolli macaroni's and layer the cacciatori on top..and then top with cheese, and under the broiler till the cheese gets browned and bubbly. OOoooooo!!!!!

Ooops! ...Here is a picture I took...

2309ed9a.jpg

Nancy-MD

Everyone's meals sound good and Jimmy, that sausage looks delish but it would be way too hot for me!

I made lentil and split pea soup and cornbread.

Attachments

• lentil soup with cornbread.jpg
    lentil soup with cornbread.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 130

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Jimmy your pic looks yummy but it would probably be a bit to hot for me also.

YUMMY Nan soup Nan. Are those hot dogs in there?

Last edited:

Embryodad

Everyone's meals sound good and Jimmy, that sausage looks delish but it would be way too hot for me!

I made lentil and split pea soup and cornbread.

Nancy...for you, I would make it Mild.. I just made it that way cause DW is down south jersey on her uncles farm house.

Or Tina..

AllenOK

I'm going to blacken some pork chops, and serve with a mushroom rice and a veg of some sort.

Embryodad, that sausage dish looks delish!!!!

Lifesaver, as much as I would love that platter of fruit myself, it would last about 10 seconds around my kids.

Embryodad

I'm going to blacken some pork chops, and serve with a mushroom rice and a veg of some sort.

Embryodad, that sausage dish looks delish!!!!

Lifesaver, as much as I would love that platter of fruit myself, it would last about 10 seconds around my kids.
Thanks AllenOK...

I could go for some chops and rice soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Is that similar to a braciola?

Very similar, yes. Rollatini & involtini are flattened/thin slices of meat (chicken, veal, eggplant, etc.) filled & rolled.

The inspiration for the salami & cheese-stuffed rollatini came from here:
(It's a little over the top, but I will tweak to my taste.)

CropSize2.jpg

http://www.margheritabrand.com/promo.php

The eggplant Parmesan w/ pepperoni (different recipe), also caught my eye:

eggplant_parmigiana_pepperoni.jpg
http://www.margheritabrand.com/eggplant_parmigiana.php

There are some nice-looking recipe ideas.

Stromboli is different -- coldcuts encased in dough.

homecook

Jimmy, that looks like my kind of meal!!! Yummmm :readytoeat:

Nancy, that soup looks delicious, nice and comforting....,.now I've got a taste for soup.

LS, with this weather lately....perfect!

Fried catfish, french fries and cucumber salad.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 113

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Jimmy you rpic looks yummy but it would probably be a bit to hot for me also.

YUMMY Nan soup Nan. Are those hot dogs in there?
I believe those are slices of "Tube Steaks!" :bonk::yum:

Dinners look good and also would like to book a ticket to Mexico with Mama. Jimmy, I used to be able to endure the hot, hot food, but, alas, the old digestive tract no longer tolerates it well.

We both had 10 hour+ days so we met a local haunt that has great burgers. Had a new, gum chewing server who couldn't grasp that DW wanted the double burger ( two 1/4# patties), but with only ONE pattie and top/bottom bun, cooked medium. (The don't have a kids menu or a 1/4# burger on the menu) Server brings two, very well done 1/2# burgers with toasted buns that were both burned. DW sent hers back, requesting what she originally asked for, a 1/4# burger. Server takes it back to the kitchen and returns with the original big burger, then says they don't have anything smaller. Then it got ugly.:hide: DW asks if they have double burger today, and the server says yes...wrong answer!!!! :shitHitsFan: Server walks away and disappears into the kitchen and does not return. DW now fuming, and I'm waiting for her to explode. I flag another server who has taken care of us many times, explain what happened and ask for the check so we can pay and leave. She asks if we want to take home the leftovers and I say no, the food was not prepared as we asked, so we just want to pay and leave. She says our meals would be comped by the house, and apologizes. She then said that the old cook left to open his own place, and there is a new cook in the kitchen, and the server is his girlfriend...a recipe for disaster. Guess we scratch this haunt off the list.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh brother!!! Let me know the place Joe. I hope it's no where we've been going to.......:sad:
Newtown Cafe, on Lake Shore West of 306. It was always a favorite of ours. The burgers had zero flavor as well as being over cooked. I figure they must have gone to a lean burger for the health conscious..no fat, no flavor IMO.

homecook

Newtown Cafe, on Lake Shore West of 306. It was always a favorite of ours. The burgers had zero flavor as well as being over cooked. I figure they must have gone to a lean burger for the health conscious..no fat, no flavor IMO.

That is unreal. We go there all the time! We were there a few weeks ago for the mussels....they were always the best! The first order I got was tasteless. I told the waitress and she said she'd tell the cook and bring out another order. Right!! I think he put triple the amount of garlic and that was all you could taste. They comped that meal too. We were there again and they were out of the mussels so we have a free meal coming to us. lol I'm not sure we want to go back....they've got to be losing money on all the meals they have to comp. lolol

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That is unreal. We go there all the time! We were there a few weeks ago for the mussels....they were always the best! The first order I got was tasteless. I told the waitress and she said she'd tell the cook and bring out another order. Right!! I think he put triple the amount of garlic and that was all you could taste. They comped that meal too. We were there again and they were out of the mussels so we have a free meal coming to us. lol I'm not sure we want to go back....they've got to be losing money on all the meals they have to comp. lolol
The cook is a young skinny kid who I never saw before. We come in the side door and you can see right into the kitchen, so I knew something was up when i did not see the usual guy back there.

homecook

We'll probably go back for our free mussels and see how it goes.....I don't have high hopes. We really liked that place before they changed hands.....

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Joe - somebody had to come up with this one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8[/ame]