anybody ever grill romaine lettuce?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i stumble upon this post on another forum and his food looked so good..anybody ever do this?

DSC_0001-59.jpg

DSC_0003-47.jpg

DSC_0005-29.jpg

DSC_0010-26.jpg

GrillinFool

I've heard of someone doing this. Slather it with some sort of sauce, straight on the grill for just a few seconds....Hmmmm.....Gotta look into this....

suziquzie

Hey, thanks for the reminder!!
I've seen it, always meant to.... and forgot about it. :oops:

I have an extra head of romaine in the fridge I was afraid would be compost before I got to it.... now I know!!!:chef:

GrillinFool

What kind of sauce do you slather it with?

I don't know. But I would be that Caesar Salad Dressing would be pretty stellar....I may have to try that this weekend. Just doing brats on the grill, but I may do this just to try it and if it's any good, put it on the site.

I think what I saw they sliced it in half lengthwise making one head into two long half heads....

lilylove

Gonna have to try this. Paul does the grilling but heck... I can prbly grill a piece of lettuce! :)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I don't know. But I would be that Caesar Salad Dressing would be pretty stellar....I may have to try that this weekend. Just doing brats on the grill, but I may do this just to try it and if it's any good, put it on the site.

I think what I saw they sliced it in half lengthwise making one head into two long half heads....

yup thats what this one was done with after it came off the grill

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks great to me! I'd like blue cheese dressing on it. Or, maybe Caesar dressing and some parm cheese sprinked over it.

I think I'll grill some this weekend if we have steaks!

Lee

GotGarlic

Rachael Ray had a recipe for that once - we've made it several times. Just cut the romaine in half lengthwise, brush lightly with olive oil, and grill just long enough to get some char. She topped it with sliced tuna grilled rare and bleu cheese dressing - DH likes it that way, but I prefer it with Italian dressing, so I guess your favorite dressing would work fine :smile:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've done it lots of times, but I only brushed the romaine with olive oil before grilling and then dressed it afterward. I love it!

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never done it with romaine lettice but have with bok choy.

GrillinFool

I've done it lots of times, but I only brushed the romaine with olive oil before grilling and then dressed it afterward. I love it!

I can see that. Not sure what the reaction the caesars dressing would have to the heat. So char it, and then slather with some dressing...Hmmmm

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Well, yeah. I dunno about everyone else, but that's what I meant, LOL!

Lee

suziquzie

It was really good! Made it last night.
Sorry, didn't get a pic.
I didnt dress it at all, just did what I do with zucchini.... drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper..... grilled.... then I just grated some parmesan over it.
Pretty tasty!

GrillinFool

It was really good! Made it last night.
Sorry, didn't get a pic.
I didnt dress it at all, just did what I do with zucchini.... drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper..... grilled.... then I just grated some parmesan over it.
Pretty tasty!
Thanks for the update. Gonna give this a whirl on Sunday

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have seen it done with bok choy like joec does....never done either

see what i started?..lmao:twak:

High Cheese

Saucier
I did some last night along with marinated chicken breasts and sauteed haricots. I like the taste, reminds me of a cooked greens like collards. I just drizzled with OO, seasoned with salt/pepper and finished with parmesan.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I did some last night along with marinated chicken breasts and sauteed haricots. I like the taste, reminds me of a cooked greens like collards. I just drizzled with OO, seasoned with salt/pepper and finished with parmesan.

yup and yours looked awesome... might give it a shot this weekend, but right now i have a new toy to play with..lol

GrillinFool

We did this tonight. Sliced it in half, slathered it with OO, threw on some fresh cracked black pepper, coarse salt, and granulated garlic. Then pulled it off and put some fresh grated romano (parm, or asiago would work well too). It was stellar...The smokiness of the lettuce along with the hard grated cheese was perfectly paired...

GrillinFool

very nice write up complete with pics... now i need to get of my sick ass and go get some lettuce to do this..lol

Expect to catch a lot of grief. I had people giving me all kinds of grief. Laughing and saying, "Lettuce? HAHAHAHAHA On the grill? HAHAHAHAHA."

But then it was gone in like 2 minutes. I wish I had called all the jokesters down to the grill before it was gone so more people could've tried it...

But I gotta say that this may be the easiest dish I have ever done...Nothing to it at all