Crab Cakes

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well being from Florida I really never tried crab cakes until recently since stone crab claws and Florida lobster are so abundent there and excellent I might add.

Well I gave them a try about a year ago since I can get good quality canned crab meat here in Kentucky. I looked as several recipes and came up with the following taking parts that sounded good to me.

Crab Cakes
1 lb jumbo lump crab
3 Tbsp Whole butter
1 c Onion, chopped
1/2 c Green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c Green onion, chopped
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Old Bay® Seasoning
1 or 2 tbls fresh parley or cilantro or basil or dill or a combination
1 Egg
1 c Bread crumbs (1 to 1 1/2 c) (I like panko, Japanese Bread Crumbs)
3 Tbsp Olive oil

1. Heat the butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and green onion. Cook until tender, then remove from the pan and cool completely.

2. In a large bowl, combine the salt, cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, cilantro/parsley/basil/dill and egg. Mix well. Add the cooled vegetables and crab. Be careful not to break up the lumps. Thats why you pay the big bucks. Use hands. Then add the breadcrumbs in tablespoon batches. You just want them to absorb the liquid. Form the crabcakes. I like mine about 3 inches in diameter and and 1 1/4 inches thick.

3. Refrigerate for at least an hour. This helps hold them together.

4. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté the crab cakes until golden brown on both sides.

5. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or tartar sauce.

Yield: 12 Cakes

I served with fried Maui onions (petal cut), over yellow rice and mixed vegetables of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots (steamed).

Attachments

• CrabCakes3.JPG
    CrabCakes3.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 179

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
JoeC you are a GOD!!!!!!! That looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Do you have a local place to get your Japanese bread crumbs?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a small Korean market typical of most Asian markets. I buy panko, which is a really soft fine bread crumb but gives a real crispness to fried foods. I've gotten it in plain and honey with is a bit sweeter but not a lot. I have seen the plain in some local grocery stores with good international foods sections.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I had never eat one myself until I made this. It was my first try at it but I modified the recipe a bit using panko instead of regular bread crumbs. It has now become a once a month dish for my wife and I.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I made a batch of crab cakes up for tonights dinner. At any rate I thought I would try a recipe that caught my eye awhile back from Paula Dean. At any rate this is excellent though I don't like buttermilk in stuff like this I used sour cream in stead of it. Took at a taste after I made it and loved it.

Lemon-Dill Sauce Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Lemon Dill Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise (I also used Miracle Whip)
1/4 cup buttermilk (I substituted sour cream for this)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I made a batch for dinner tonight and decided to make a home made sauce rather than open a bottle of store bought tarter sauce. The one by Paula Deen would also be great for a tuna fish sandwich as the mix in place of what ever else you normally mix with it. It is real fresh and clean tasting especially with the minor changes I made such as the sour creme instead of the butter milk. I have the rice and vegetables going as we speak with the cakes going in the pan as soon as the rest is done.