Fluids?

FryBoy

Drink only a small amount, like an ounce, at a time, but repeat it often, like every 15 to 30 minutes. Drink water or diluted juices, nothing heavy or sweet or bitter. Room temperature or slightly warm is best, not ice cold or steaming hot.

chowhound

I have no idea what you are even talking about.... "push fluids"?
Is this a cooking question like the forum states?

FryBoy

"Push fluids" is the same as "force fluids," meaning a medical order to drink a lot of water.

Bilby

Yeah you just have to sip slowly and very very frequently. Sucking ice is good. Try a little weak tepid tea (no milk). Suck on a bit of lemon/orange etc. Have a bit of jelly and let it slowly dissolve in your mouth. Bit of melon - esp watermelon - to suck on. (You aren't trying to get the food down with the fruit, only the liquid in them.)

The key thing is to not get dehydrated. So each time you go to the loo, vomit or have a heavy sweating session (if you have a temp or are still being active), ensure you have a few more sips.

The Gastrolyte drinks and popsicles are good to keep your electrolytes up and will help keep you dehydrated.

If you can have a mouthful of soup or even a stock cube dissolved in warm water, it will help keep your strength up too.

Personnally, I find water can be too hard on the stomach in these situations, and prefer some stale lemonade (like Sprite) or the weak tea or the fruit/jelly.

And if you get a craving for something to eat, follow it (even if it something that you would normally avoid) but just don't have much of it. Just peck at it. Sometimes when I am sick, I crave fat - the purer the fat the better - so I get tomato sauce sandwiches made with lots of butter or KFC and just eat the skin. I know it doesn't sound good (on so many fronts) but it keeps that sick feeling at bay at those times. (All to do with my kidney failure too I might add!) Point is, your body knows what it needs, so listen to it.

phreak

If you are being told by a medical professional to push fluids as you say and you can't hold them down you need to contact that medical professional immediately.

Lefty

Yank
If you are being told by a medical professional to push fluids as you say and you can't hold them down you need to contact that medical professional immediately.
That is what I would say. You will end up severely dehydrated and that will cause a lot of problems. Please call your Doctor ASAP!!!

pugger

Assuming this is a serious question, your doctor can give you an I.V. or have one given to you. This should give you the fluids you need, obviating the need for you to "push them"

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i find small amounts of gingerale heated till just warm works well when i need fluids and my tummy is not good.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This always works for me! :thumb:

1zvxrnk.jpg