Need a good 10" SS Pan

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I need a new 10” SS pan. Preferably one with a lid, but that isn’t so important since I have several lids that will work on a 10.

A few years ago, I overheated my main SS pan (a tri-core 12”). I put it on the eye to heat up and got distracted. When I came back, it was blazing hot. So I put it under the sink in some cold water to cool it off.

CRAP!

That caused the layers to buckle and peel apart. Ruined the pan.

I replaced it with a 12” SS from BB&B. Cheap thing. Thin. But it is a fryer as well, and has a lid.

Now, after all this time, I want a good 10” SS pan for everyday use.

Any recommendations on a good 10”SS pan? I’d love it if I can get it on Amazon. I see several there now, but I’m looking for TNT testimonials for the pan. If you have a recommendation, please shout! Thanks! :thumb:

GotGarlic

All-Clad is top of the line, of course. But DH gave me a set of Calphalon SS pots and pans for Christmas a few years ago and I love them all. I think they're as good as All-Clad and if I needed a new SS pan, that's what I would buy.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I need a new 10” SS pan. Preferably one with a lid, but that isn’t so important since I have several lids that will work on a 10.

A few years ago, I overheated my main SS pan (a tri-core 12”). I put it on the eye to heat up and got distracted. When I came back, it was blazing hot. So I put it under the sink in some cold water to cool it off.

CRAP!

That caused the layers to buckle and peel apart. Ruined the pan.

I replaced it with a 12” SS from BB&B. Cheap thing. Thin. But it is a fryer as well, and has a lid.

Now, after all this time, I want a good 10” SS pan for everyday use.

Any recommendations on a good 10”SS pan? I’d love it if I can get it on Amazon. I see several there now, but I’m looking for TNT testimonials for the pan. If you have a recommendation, please shout! Thanks! :thumb:
I have this one and LOVE it. I sear on stove then pop in the oven to roast and finish cooking. Remove meat and then on stove to make the gravy with the pan fond. I love it!!

Cuisinart MultiClad Pro 5.5-qt. Stainless Steel Saute Pan MCP33-30H
Overview - Online stores - Details - Related items
okcisQW2oKIxHiTvmmUyUpDtD1p5SYK5Qnc2dWGPLhkmC6DFbwKzik1M8l0psQHR-_VrgkRzGJbW6PP_LUVX9Rz2kR2kFCgl3ZUF4T2V9PtSuYFB1W2HNg2c2xr9LVWV591SestqinIbtA8odJb7PKi95I1c3AoUtH2GeIZ8uKa6D01sh_hJXdKMKBQqpZj1MA

$80 online
No other classic cooking method lets you so perfectly prepare as wide a variety of foods as the simple saute. The name evokes memories of perfect repasts in elegant little bistros, but the saute's talents extend far beyond the elegant.

I just measured it and it's bigger than you want at 12".

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Yep, I agree with SS. If you can spend the extra bucks, there's nothing better than All-Clad IMHO.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have 1 All Clad pot and IMO it wasn't worth the money. The design stinks - the handle is so long it tips over and spills whats in it all over the stove etc. I spent big bucks on it and never use it because every time I did I wasted money on spilled food.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Do you guys have the All-Clad SS pan? Do you use it a lot? What are your thoughts on it (handle, lid, cleaning, heat transfer & retention, marring & scarring, etc)?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I have 1 All Clad pot and IMO it wasn't worth the money. The design stinks - the handle is so long it tips over and spills whats in it all over the stove etc. I spent big bucks on it and never use it because every time I did I wasted money on spilled food.

Thanks Peeps! THAT is what I'm looking for in a review! :thumb:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I use my pan all the time. It is heavy bottom, nice handle and helper handle, well balanced and lid fits nicely. It's about 6 years old and still looks almost new.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps! THAT is what I'm looking for in a review! :thumb:
I only have the 1 pot. It's 1 or 1 1/2 qt starter pot which was very pricey for the small size. I wanted to try 1 out to see what everyone was raving about. HATED it because it tips over to dang easy unless it is filled to the brim! I never tried a pan because those are big bucks. So I can't comment on a pan.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all.

I'm wondering about All-Clad? Calphalon and Cuisinart make similar pans. What are you paying for when you pay the All-Clad premium? I'm leaning towards a Calphalon SS pan right now. I like the handle (oven safe) and how it's attached. Price is good as well. Is there really THAT much difference? I'm frugal, but still want a good pan. :pat: :yum:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks all.

I'm wondering about All-Clad? Calphalon and Cuisinart make similar pans. What are you paying for when you pay the All-Clad premium? I'm leaning towards a Calphalon SS pan right now. I like the handle (oven safe) and how it's attached. Price is good as well. Is there really THAT much difference? I'm frugal, but still want a good pan. :pat: :yum:
The cuisinart is oven and broiler safe BTW. I handles are very securely attached.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have a whole set of All-Clad. I started out with a 7 piece set and have added a few pieces over the years. I've had the original set about 10 years and wouldn't trade it for any other brand. I've never used the Cuisinart or the Calphalon so I can't compare them...they may be just as good...I'll never know because I absolutely LOVE my All-Clad.

The handles fit comfortably in my hand. They are oven safe and the handles stay cool when using the pan on the stove top. I've never had a problem with warping and I have heated them to pretty high temps from time to time :lol:.

Before I had the All-Clad, I had a cheap set of Revereware. DH bought me the All-Clad as a gift.

As for the cleaning, just keep plenty of Bar Keepers Friend around. For tough stuff, I have found that Dawn Power Dissolver works great too.

Last edited:

Norm

I do not like All Clad either because of the handle. If I pick it up without thinking about it, its likely as not to twist in my hand and dump out the contents.

I have two stainless pans that I do like. One is made in France by Sitram. The one I have is called Cybernox. It is about 10 inches. I have a 12 inch Tramotina and a 3 quart sauce pot by them too. Both are excellent. Cooks Illustrated rated them just below All Clad in quality and above them in value because they aren't even close in price.

GotGarlic

My All-Clad 3.5-qt. saute pan was the first good-quality pan I've owned. I was surprised at how much better it is for cooking than the Farberware I used to use - I just didn't realize at the time there was such a difference in the way pans work and having the All-Clad inspired me to become a better, more creative cook. It heats evenly and has a helper handle, so it's easy to move. The handle is securely fastened and oven-proof.

That said, DH gave me for Christmas a few years ago a set of Calphalon pans that includes a 3.5-qt. saute pan, and I love them. The Calphalon saute pan is deeper and not as wide, so I use it more for sauces than the other, but they work equally well, imo. The set also includes two skillets and three sizes of saucepans. I don't use the skillets as much because I like the deep, wide saute pans better; I have no problem with the handles on the saucepans, which I use regularly.

Either make a sauce or use Barkeeper's Friend to keep them nice and shiny :smile:

Carolina Cooking

IMG_0138.jpg

Here is my All Clad. I hate it with a passion. The handle is to long & its to thin & not solid at all. You have to grab it all the way to the end for it to be solid.

Every thing I put in the thing stuck to it. :glare: Huge PIA to clean.

I took it OUT of my kitchen. It has a resting place all to itself till I can sell it at a yard sale .

Oh Ya I hate it..

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I gone to the All-Clad chef's pans instead of the frying pans, just like them better. Here is a good price on a 10 frypan with lid by AC.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Clad-Stainless-Steel-10-Inch-Domed/dp/B002HDPZWG/ref=pd_sim_k_5[/ame]

Oh and the handles can be uncomfortable from some especially with smaller hands. I also have some by Enamelware that are made also by all clad but glass lids and one of the most comfortable handles I've felt on pans. No difference in how they cook that I've found as both are tri ply designs and cook evenly across the whole pan.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
like i say, i'm a stickler. gotta know how to treat that clad properly. ;)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Luvs stainless is fairly easy to keep looking good. I pour a bit of water in mine once I'm done cooking and leave it on the stove on lower heats. I then wipe mine out while hot with a damp towel (paper) then once cool wash it with Bar Keepers Friend. Mine are a few years old and still look new.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
oh, thx, joe~ i know. i was raised thru-&-thru on clad. some of my Dad's is 1970's & shines on~

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
What JoeC said. Plus, and it's a big +, All Clad SS heats more evenly on induction burners, probably on all types of burners, but I can "see" the difference with induction.

Leni

I'd go to the local store/mall and try handling them to see how they fit your hand etc. I have Calphalon which I love but it's not stainless steel. My local Bed,Bath and Beyond always has a display of the brands mentioned. I've picked them up and played with them to see how I liked each one.

High Cheese

Saucier
I bought 2 10" AC fry pans from Cookware N More for about $100 for the pair. They sell AC irregulars at a big discount from retail. One pan I never found the problem with it, the other has a small nick in the handle and the handle itself is slightly twisted. I could care less, the pan itself works perfectly. I've used them on the stove, in the oven and on the grill without issues. I never thought the handles were uncomfortable and they never fell out of my hand or anything. I also have a 12" Cuisinart pan that works well too, but it has a disc bottom, not clad. I also have other brands SS pans. Anyone that blames a certain brand for food sticking just doesn't know how to cook on SS.

I also have an AC 12" non stick pan that has held up to my using non coated tongs and other stuff I should have been doing. lol

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/ There's a special at the bottom of the home page.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
IMG_0138.jpg

Here is my All Clad. I hate it with a passion. The handle is to long & its to thin & not solid at all. You have to grab it all the way to the end for it to be solid.

Every thing I put in the thing stuck to it. :glare: Huge PIA to clean.

I took it OUT of my kitchen. It has a resting place all to itself till I can sell it at a yard sale .

Oh Ya I hate it..

We have a Pay It Forward/Advertising section on the forum. I bet someone would be tickled pink to take that little jewel off your hands :brows:.

Carolina Cooking

We have a Pay It Forward/Advertising section on the forum. I bet someone would be tickled pink to take that little jewel off your hands

:yum: that happened right quick this morning after I posted. It may be sold. I never even thought to do that. :wink: