Need advice in grilled Pizza

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama's grilled pizza looked os good I am going to try.

I got the makings.

Here are my questions,

1) Indirect heat or direct?
2) grill the crust separately then top or all together?
3) Spread some olive oil on the grill, Correct?

Thank You

Andy

Off to light charcoal and chop veggies. I will check back in a bit.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I use direct heat. The most important thing is to have your sauce and all your toppings ready to go, because it happens fast.

Oil the crust, and put it oiled side down over direct heat. Quickly oil the top.

When the bottom is lightly charred, flip it over and quickly spread the toppings. Close the lid to help the cheese melt.

The whole thing only takes a few minutes if you have a thin crust, longer depending on the thickness of the crust.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use direct heat. The most important thing is to have your sauce and all your toppings ready to go, because it happens fast.

Oil the crust, and put it oiled side down over direct heat. Quickly oil the top.

When the bottom is lightly charred, flip it over and quickly spread the toppings. Close the lid to help the cheese melt.

The whole thing only takes a few minutes if you have a thin crust, longer depending on the thickness of the crust.

Exactly!

So good, Andy - go for it!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I went for it. It was a smash hit. The key thing, at least for me, was having everything ready. It really does happen really fast.

I have enough ingredients for another one this week. I will try to post pix of that one.

Thank you everyone.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've discovered it helps to do this before cocktail hour gets too far underway:kiss:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Yeah! I'm glad it turned out well! You definitely have to have all of your toppings ready before you get started. I don't think I'll ever go back to a regular oven baked pizza. Can't wait to see the pics!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a temperature setting. I have a Weber Kettle and I placed the charcoal baskets directly under the dough. I did consult one site that said that a gas grill should be on high.

SilverSage's advice to have everything ready is paramount. As she said, things happen really fast.

BTW the Pizza was outa sight.

Mama, Ummmmm about the pix. It didn't last long enough for pix. The saving bit is that I have enough to make another and I will try to photograph that one.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I put mine on high, oiled the grates, put the dough on, brushed the top lightly with olive oil and when it got some nice grill marks, I flipped it, topped it and then closed the lid to melt the cheese.

It really does taste incredible!

K

Kimchee

So if one is using a quickie pizza dough, does one cook or partially cook it first in the oven, or does it go on the grill raw?
I have a Pillsbury Pizza Dough just waiting!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Roll it out, oil the dough lightly, oil thr grill, slide it on, cook till the bottom just starts to turn color, take it off, flip it cooked side up, top it. put it back on lid on and finish.

Watch carefully, it goes fast.

K

Kimchee

Thanks! I feel much more confident now. This is kinda scary... pizza and grilling, two favorites!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
It's all Mama's fault LOL She posted that pizza and I just hadda have one. There are only tow of us here and there were no leftovers.

GrillinFool

You can also put a pizza stone on the middle of the grill, and place the crust, sauce, and toppings on top of that and it makes an incredible pizza...

FooD

Yeah, I've seen lots of folks use pizza stones either directly on the grill grate, or elevated with bricks above the grate. I used to use a stone, elevated, in my Weber kettle but it cracked so I got a Lodge cast iron pizza pan for use inside the kettle and in my kitchen oven as well. The cast iron pan works great too.