Pet lovers - What do you think of this?

chowhound

Re: Pet lovers - What od you think of this?

An expensive "maybe" solution for an owner who doesn't know how to raise a dog. The dog should have been euthanized if it had a bite history. You can bet if it was a pitbull type it would have been.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
In part, I agree with Chow. If the dog cannot be trained, then, what must be,must be. If the owner does not want to put the dog down, then stronger containment is in order, their choice.

I just feel that it is cruel to surgically modify an animal unnecessarily. In this case the surgery may not necessarily solve the problem and further injury to humans could result. Next consider what this kind of a thiing could do to yourself (Not recommending that) You and I have the use of reaon and can understand, they do not. Just my two cents.

chowhound

The funny thing is, there are extremist groups, like PETA and the HSUS, that push to ban removing dewclaws, cropping ears, docking tails or any other form of altering a dog, two of these done at such a young age that the dog cannot literally feel any pain or discomfort. And btw, these alterations are all performance based and done for a reason. Yet a vet can make an exorbitant amount of money altering a dog's mouth when the real problem is in its brain?
This makes no sense to me.

Galvatron

Now this must be the most stupid thing i have read about....surgery to make it so the dog can only suck you to death.

If it's a dangerous animal and it cant be re-trained put it to sleep...lack of training from day one has caused this.

If i was a vet i would not have performed the procedure.....in fact i would have put down the owner.

Lefty

Yank
Now this must be the most stupid thing i have read about....surgery to make it so the dog can only suck you to death.

If it's a dangerous animal and it cant be re-trained put it to sleep...lack of training from day one has caused this.

If i was a vet i would not have performed the procedure.....in fact i would have put down the owner.

I agree. If the owner would have learned what it takes to train a dog from day 1 this would not be needed. A little research goes a long way.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
+1 to what all of you said.

When I was a child and we got a new dog, mom would give it a nice big bone and train it fro day one that they had to give it up. My labs will readily let you have nything that is in their mouth any tie you want it. They will not hurt anyone. I have worked with them on this since they came into the house.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I find this to be utterly stupid. All they did was dull the dog’s teeth......but he still has teeth! He can still bite you, and what’s worse, now that his teeth are dull, he may over compensate by biting harder and latching on and shaking. I really don’t understand how this was supposed to help at all.

The owner should have just bought a baseball bat......and hit himself in the head repeatedly for being irresponsible and off his rocker.

Galvatron

The above answers bring me to ask this...due to you all being normal thinking good folk....a little strange yes but normal....i think???

"should stupid folk be put to sleep"

Natural selection just aint working quick enough.

Vote Galvatron.

Wart

Banned

But it would be a favorite in the bestiality groups ....

:shock:

I tend to agree.

BUT,

We have three cats from the same litter, Mama cat would attack ankles and the hand petting her with tooth and claw.

Of the three cats, one won't get pissed off no matter how he is played with, he just leaves.

THe other male cat will take so much tummy rubbing before he gets aggressive, but he also gives plenty of warning before he gets to the sink the spur claw stage. And since this cat weighs 20++ pounds ....

The female cat is like her mom, she'll 'attack' ankles, grab hold of the hand petting her and give a bite or two, but it has always been more in a way to score points and not true aggression. She has grabbed my arm with the front and raked with the back but has never extended her claws.

From this anecdotal observation (and others) I conclude some of animal behavior is nurture but some is also from nature.

Some of this dogs behavior is training, but I'm sure some is also genetics.

Wellll, Justice System takes a dim view of putting down people. :dizzy:

For $1,600 to have a dog de-toothed? I could get one heck of a firearm for that much, maybe two, guess where the first round would go?

Galvatron

For $1,600 to have a dog de-toothed? I could get one heck of a firearm for that much, maybe two, guess where the first round would go?

I should not answer this as im kinda in a pissed off mood and i dont want to offend you or your cats.....but heres where i stand at this point in time...

i would aim the first round at the mother-in-law.....and my wife says she would help me load the Gun.

Last edited:

chowhound

It's generally thought it's about 30/70 genetics/environment that go into a dog's behavior, so most of this dog's issues did in fact come from the owner, or, it's "environment".
And I'm not trying to be argumentative, but comparing dogs to cats isn't even like comparing apples to oranges, their makeup is that far apart. A cat can be turned loose and revert right back to the wild. A dog will more than likely die unless it hooks up with a wild pack to teach it the ropes. If they don't kill it first.
And this dog in the article isn't even a fear biter, it's out and out aggressive. What did they say, it launches itself at strangers or company?
Hypothesis:
Probably male
Probably intact
Probably a puppy mill (pet shop) dog or back yard breeder dog who's breeders do no temperament testing of the parents before they breed them.
And the owner probably thought it was cute that a six week old puppy was barking and ankle biting at new people instead of being properly socialized.
Just a guess

Wart

Banned
I should not answer this as im kinda in a pissed off mood and i dont want to offend you or your cats.....but heres where i stand at this point in time...
i would aim the first round at the mother-in-law.....and my wife says she would help me load the Gun.

That sounds interesting, Tell us more!

;)

It's generally thought it's about 30/70 genetics/environment that go into a dog's behavior, so most of this dog's issues did in fact come from the owner, or, it's "environment".
And I'm not trying to be argumentative, but comparing dogs to cats isn't even like comparing apples to oranges,

Not to be argumentative or anything ...

I only brought up my cats to illustrate nature and nurture components, comparisons beyond that are constructs of the reader, not this author.

And it's not like I didn't post:From this anecdotal observation (and others) ....

A cat can be turned loose and revert right back to the wild. A dog will more than likely die unless it hooks up with a wild pack to teach it the ropes. If they don't kill it first.

My favorite comparison of dogs and cats is:

A dog owner collapses and dies, when the body is found in two weeks they will also find the corpse of the dog which starved to death keeping watch over it's master.

Same circumstances with a cat, they'll find a cat that didn't go hungry. :dizzy:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
After sifting thru all this I wonder, maybe it isn't the cats and dogs that should be neutered or spayed... it's some of these owners like the one in this article.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
After sifting thru all this I wonder, maybe it isn't the cats and dogs that should be neutered or spayed... it's some of these owners like the one in this article.

exactly.

i have owned breeds that are suppose to be "mean" dogs. proper training, show the dog who is the master right from the start. give the animal lots of love and attention..

next step as Mav said is to spay or neuter the owner who shouldnt be allowed to own a pet:oops:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is an interesting thread, Andy. I'm not sure how I feel about the procedure. I agree that this is a problem with the owners - not the dog. But a dog who bites is dangerous, for whatever reason. I think this procedure in the story is filing down of the canines. Dogs can bite without canines, but they can't do much damage. The canines allow them to rip and shred whatever they are locked down on. Filing them down eliminates that. But it also removes the only defense a dog has to attack from another dog. (They used to pull the canines in extreme cases.)

Since we all agree that the owner is at the root of the problem, what should be done once the problem exists? I'm not sure how I feel about the choice between euthanasia and extreme dental alteration.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thinking over what you wrote Terry. I skimmed the article again. The procedure is called canine disarming, but, Igot the opinion that all teeth were blunted and then filled in. They did say the sharp teeth, they did not say just the canines. Did I miss something?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
This is an interesting thread, Andy. I'm not sure how I feel about the procedure. I agree that this is a problem with the owners - not the dog. But a dog who bites is dangerous, for whatever reason. I think this procedure in the story is filing down of the canines. Dogs can bite without canines, but they can't do much damage. The canines allow them to rip and shred whatever they are locked down on. Filing them down eliminates that. But it also removes the only defense a dog has to attack from another dog. (They used to pull the canines in extreme cases.)

Since we all agree that the owner is at the root of the problem, what should be done once the problem exists? I'm not sure how I feel about the choice between euthanasia and extreme dental alteration.

I beleive in poetic justice... turn the dog loose on the bad owner...

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter