Cream of Asparagus Soup TNT

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Cream of Asparagus Soup TNT
This soup is amazing. I have even used skim milk and a bit of cornstarch to thicken instead of the heavy cream to lighten the recipe. However, I have always reheated the soup in a bain marie.
Based on a recipe by Norman Kolpas
Ingredients:
1/4 cup sweet butter
1 mild onion, finely chopped
4 cups homemade chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 celery stock with leaves, finely chopped
3 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces, tips reserved
2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 Tablespoons fnely chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried (I prefer fresh)
2 cups heavy cream
salt and white pepper, to taste

Directions:
In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium low heat and then add the onion and celery and saute until translucent. This will take 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, the asparagus stalks and about 2/3 of the tips, the potatoes and the basil. Reserve the remaining tips for garnishing the soup. Raise the heat and bring the ingredients to a boil and skim away any froth that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer gently until the asparagus and potatoes are tender. This will take about 20 minutes.
Puree the soup either using a food mill, food processor or blender. Return the puree to the pan and stir in the cream. Season to taste with salt and white pepper and warm over low heat being sure to keep the cream from curdling.
Meanwhile in a smll saucepan filled with boiling water, add the reserved asparagus tips and cook for about 3-4 minutes until they are tender-crsip. Drain well and garnish bowls of soul with them.
When reheating this soup, one must use a bain marie or the cream may curdle.

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
It is excellent and I have found that skim milk and cornstarch in a slurry works well to thicken the soup. As it has pototoes and their starch will also thicken the soup, I don't see why you need all that cream unless of course, you want it. Nothing wrong with that but I am so use to cooking healthy--I had to as a caregiver.

The only time I go crazy with calories is dessert.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I'm probably going to make this soon. We got about 3 lbs of asparagus from DW's grandparent's garden. I see cream of asparagus soup and battered asparagus in my future!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
It is excellent and I have found that skim milk and cornstarch in a slurry works well to thicken the soup. As it has pototoes and their starch will also thicken the soup, I don't see why you need all that cream unless of course, you want it. Nothing wrong with that but I am so use to cooking healthy--I had to as a caregiver.

The only time I go crazy with calories is dessert.

I agree. Most "Cream of ..." soups I've made start out with a roux that adds flavor and body to the soup. You could cut a lot of the cream that way...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmm potatoes and asparagus together in a creamy dreamy soup!
Sounds fabulous Susan :)