MexicoKaren's wonderful art!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am a huge fan of MexicoKaren's artwork!

Recently, she mentioned that she has just finished several pictures, and I asked her for the link to her online "gallery".

She gave me permission to post the link in our public forum.

Enjoy!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/casabucerias/sets/72157600413227515/

Lee

P.S. I have a bunch of favorites, but "Mer Kitties" may be my very favorite!

The newest pictures are at the end.

Deelady

Wow Karen! They are beautiful! So vibrant and full of life and imagination! They are wonderful!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
They're ALL beautiful! I don't think that I can pick a favorite. You are VERY talented Karen!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Karen, they're wonderful!

I want to see them all in real life. You are blessed with a fabulous talent.

I recognize your new avatar. It's John's remembrance.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thank you all so very much. I feel very lucky to have the time and energy at this point in my life to express my love for Mexico and all the wonderful warmth and colors. I so appreciate your kind words. Special hugs to you, Lee.

GotGarlic

It's so great to see so many of your beautiful painting all at once, Karen. I love the colors and imagery of Mexico, too. I was really bummed when our new kitchen knocked a small Mexican dish I kept garlic in off the counter and broke it. Oh well, one more reason to visit Mexico again! We stayed in an all-inclusive resort in the Mayan Riviera about 10 years ago and I got the dish while we were there.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
GotGarlic said:
Oh well, one more reason to visit Mexico again!

Now you have two reasons - you have a friend to visit here! Next time, come to the west coast of Mexico and stay in Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta or Bucerias...all in our neighborhood.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Karen, what is gouache?

Also, what is the significance of the skulls?

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
QSis said:
Karen, what is gouache?

Also, what is the significance of the skulls?

Gouache is a type of watercolor, but it has added binders and gums to make it more saturated with color, and also opaque. It dries quickly to a matte finish, so it is perfect for detail work. Alot of graphic designers use it because of that. It is sold in tubes, just like watercolor or oil paint.

Harder to explain the skulls - they are an ever present element of Mexican arts and crafts. Mexicans celebrate the Day(s) of the Dead (November 1 and 2), and do not have the fear of death that we have in our culture. They celebrate all phases of life, including the end of it, with a great sense of affection and humor. This really appeals to me, at this phase of my life, and my paintings with skeletons and skulls always seem to sell very quickly.

GotGarlic

Gouache is a type of watercolor, but it has added binders and gums to make it more saturated with color, and also opaque. It dries quickly to a matte finish, so it is perfect for detail work. Alot of graphic designers use it because of that. It is sold in tubes, just like watercolor or oil paint.

Harder to explain the skulls - they are an ever present element of Mexican arts and crafts. Mexicans celebrate the Day(s) of the Dead (November 1 and 2), and do not have the fear of death that we have in our culture. They celebrate all phases of life, including the end of it, with a great sense of affection and humor. This really appeals to me, at this phase of my life, and my paintings with skeletons and skulls always seem to sell very quickly.

That imagery was fascinating to me. I hope you don't mind, Karen, but below is a photo I took at Chichen Itza of a wall of skull carvings. That imagery has been around for a long time.

Attachments

• mexican-skulls.jpg
    mexican-skulls.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 102

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Wow Karen!
I love them all, but my pick would be St. Francis of Assisi!
I also had a look at some of the other pics..
The goats looking for tortillas is adorable lol

Guts

wow I had no idea Karen beautiful. I really like this one

Attachments

• 763793336_cba4b0dae5_s.jpg
    763793336_cba4b0dae5_s.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 116

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Guts, Sass and Peeps! The St. Francis painting is one of my favorites, too, Sass. I sure did have fun painting it, especially knowing that it was for my sweet sister.

GotGarlic said:
That imagery has been around for a long time.

Yes. it has. Many of the customs and beliefs here pre-date the colonial/Christian era, and most of their rich culture has an intriguing mix of Catholic and pagan. I have seen pictures of that wall, and have never been to see it, but I hope to get there someday.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

For those of you who have not seen Mexico Karen's work, just click on the link in the first post and enjoy!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thank you so much for the encouraging words, Lee. I surely do have a good time at it...

XOXOX
KK