Oatmeal Date Bars

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Memory Lane.

I remember a treat my mother used to make when I was a kid. It was an oatmeal sandwich cookie/brownie type thing with a date filling. They were cut into bars, like brownies. I'm quite sure she made them from a boxed mix.

I have a real hankering for these, but I don't think I've ever made them. Does anyone have a TNT recipe for these old fashioned favorites of mine?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I used to make something similar for my boys.
Back then I could swear I got the recipe from the original Moosewood cookbook.
Pie Susan posted a recipe on here a while back that sounded pretty close, and they were good.
However.. the second one here IS the one I was looking for.

http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/oatmeal-date-sandwich-cookies.html
----------------------------------------

http://www.familyoven.com/offsite?r_id=126431&u=http://www.recipezaar.com/68926

picLZ2FWq.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Karen, I found your recipe for these date squares elsewhere on the net, and I made them today. They were exactly what I was looking for!

I took pics. Would you mind if I share your recipe here? Or would you share it?

Attachments

• date bars 011.jpg
    date bars 011.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 724
  • date bars 007.jpg
    date bars 007.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 320

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, SS - I was just looking it up to post it! But I can't find it on my computer...the last time my hard drive went south, my backup restored all of my recipes except the cookie folder! So if you have it, by all means post it. They are Jerry's favorite cookie, and our friend Sean also loves them. Looks like they turned out great. I'm glad you like them.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks, Karen! They were great!!!

The only thing here that isn't verbatim is the cinnamon. The instructions said to add the cinnamon, but the ingredients didn't list it with a quantity. I arbitrarily chose 1/2 teaspoon, and it seemed to come out OK. If it should be something different, let me know and I'll edit.

Mexico Karen's Date Bars

Filling
1 pound dates, pitted & chopped (see Karen's comment below about the quantity)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons orange zest

Oatmeal Crust
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 cup chopped (lightly toasted) walnuts
1 cup butter, melted

1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions
In a medium saucepan bring the dates, sugar, water, lemon zest and orange zest to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together the rolled oats, flour, baking soda, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the walnuts and melted butter. Mixture will be somewhat crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the date filling evenly over the crust. Crumble the rest of the crust mixture over the filling, and pat down slightly.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Cut into bars while warm. Dust with confectioners; sugar when cooled.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks Sass & Karen!

Now I've had 2 TnT date recipes from you wonderful cooks, and I STILL have a pound and a half of dates left.

My mom's Date Cake takes about 1/2 pound, so I still need ideas for another pound! Anyone? Maybe something that's not a dessert?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ooooooooo boy! Those look like big gooey pieces of heaven!

Nice job, SS and Mama!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I think the reason the cinnamon was not listed in the ingredients is that I don't add it - we love cinnamon, but Jerry prefers these bars without. Then, I forgot to take it out of the instructions. Last time I made these, I used about two cups of dates (the recipe calls for a pound, which might equal more than that). More than that, and they didn't seem to hold together really well.