1 1/2 pounds Asparagus bottoms trimmed
1 medium Onion roughly chopped
4 tablespoons Butter
4 tablespoons Flour
4 cups Chicken broth
1/2 cup Heavy cream add more as necessary
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions
Chop asparagus into 1" pieces. Set tips aside and saute or steam separately if you wish for them to remain whole. In a 3 quart sauce pan, saute onion in butter over medium heat until soft, 3-5 minutes. Stir in asparagus, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, raise heat to high until boiling. Lower heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and puree soup with a blender, or immersion blender. Add asparagus tips,cream, salt and pepper, and heat soup until hot, but not boiling. Serve, and garnish with asparagus tips, or parmesan cheese.

This recipe works fine when cut in half.
Rob Howery
Cuisine : Uncategorized
Main Ingredient : Asparagus

img0512c.jpg

FryBoy

Looks and sounds great! Thanks.

On behalf of us old coots, please use BIGGER TYPE next time; instead of "1 medium Onion roughly chopped," I thought it said "1 medium Orange roughy chopped," which would probably ruin the soup. ;-)

Orange_roughy_TW_400px.jpg

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
HAHA! No problem! I usually just copy and paste this from my recipe software.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I need to try this, Rob. Asparagus is my favorite veggie, but I've never had asparagus soup before. I can't wait to try it.

BTW, did your kids like it? My 7 year old avoids green stuff right now, but this looks like something he would try.

Love Cream of Asparagus Soup - & the season is upon us!

One tip: if you're using very large/thick asparagus that might be a bit fibrous, you may want to run the soup through a strainer after pureeing to remove any large strings.

FryBoy

Nice sized, very fresh, California-grown asparagus was 87¢ per pound at Von's on Friday. Cheapest I've seen it in many years.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I need to try this, Rob. Asparagus is my favorite veggie, but I've never had asparagus soup before. I can't wait to try it.

BTW, did your kids like it? My 7 year old avoids green stuff right now, but this looks like something he would try.

This was just for me. DW wouldn't touch it, and the kids were with bio-dad this weekend. Our girl would probably like it, and I'd say 50/50 on whether the boy would like it.