NCT Member Spotlight: LeoLady

Lefty

Yank
Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.

I am the proud auntie of two wonderful nieces. One is working on her doctorate on an academic fellowship. The other is a honor roll high school student and cheerleader. I have a beautiful black arabian mare named Ashen; and a white, black, and ginger calico kitty named Calico.

What part of the world do you live in?

Kansas

How did you find the NCT community?

I was pmed by a member of another board.

Do you have any hobbies besides cooking?

I collect cooking equipment, sew, do crafts including rug braiding, read, and volunteer twice a month at the senior retirement home nearby.

If you could choose any profession or occupation, what would it be and why?

I am a retired social worker and I would not have it any other way.

How and why did you choose your Username? What does it mean?

I am a leo, a lady, and a former social worker.

What is a typical day like for you?

I generally have a project waiting for me everyday, whether it is cooking, sewing, or whatever.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

My work with abused/neglected children.

Give us 5 words that describe you.

Kind, caring, creative, intelligent, and loyal.

Name 5 things that would be on your "bucket list".

Create and teach in a program for kids that teaches life skills like cooking, sewing, gardening.

Assist my nieces to become the best women they can be.

Contribute to my community.

Help to heal my significant other.

Make a positive difference in the world.

Name 5 things you can't live without.

My 30's chrome model G KA mixers
My vita mix 4000 blenders
My robot coupe commercial food processors
My vintage maple butcher block table
My crown american 6 burner, 2 oven gas range

Who is your role model and why?

Edna Lewis. Because she was the absolute essence of a traditional black chef.

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.

That I can't swim.

What would the child you once were think of the adult you have become?

I think the child would be proud of the adult and what she stands for.

What is the best moment of your life so far?

Finding out that my long lost love still loves me.

How and at what age did you start cooking?

My mother taught me basic cooking and sewing skills starting when I was about 6 years old.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?

I make a great beef stew!

What is your favorite spice?

It is a combination of spices called "soul food seasoning". It is similar to seasoning salt but much better.

What 2 cooking tools/gadgets/appliances would you swap from your kitchen and what would you swap them for?

I would swap my toaster and my stick blender for a small commercial robot coupe stick blender.

What is your favorite restaurant meal?

I love to have seafood -- scallops, crab, lobster, shrimp, etc.

What would your last meal be if you could choose anything at all?

Seafood prepared well! Add a good tossed salad, baked potato and sour cream, and tasty fresh bread and butter and I will be in heaven.

If you could host a dinner party with 6 well-known guests, living or dead, who would they be and what would you serve?

Edna Lewis, Isaac Hayes, President Obama, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and Thurgood Marshall.

I would serve soul food!

Who would you most like to prepare a meal for and why. What would you serve?

I would like to fix a meal for my SO. I would serve some great creole food, since he has a creole background.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?

Edna Lewis

100 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?

I want people to remember a kind, generous person who lived to bring beauty to others.

LADYASHEN.jpg

Calico

calico-cat-2.jpg

SILVERKITCHENAIDG4.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! Great spotlight LL. Good job. Sure sounds like your nieces are well on their way to being the best women they can be thanks to your example and leadership. You've shown them the way. Way to go. :thumb:
Social work is tough work. I admire you for your dedication and love of your job.
Thanks for agreeing to do a spotlight and allowing us to learn more about our one and only LeoLady. :thumb: :D :tiphat: :clap:

K

Kimchee

Big gold stars and pats on the back to you!
Working with abused children....the world needs more like you. :)

Deelady

"I want people to remember a kind, generous person who lived to bring beauty to others. "

I think that goal is already much accomplished!:) And I believe Kimchee said it best...the world does indeed need much more like you in it!
Thank you for sharing with us :)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
"Create and teach in a program for kids that teaches life skills like cooking, sewing, gardening."

I am with you on this - it's something I would love to do myself. I already help teach kids to cook, love to do the rest as well.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the pics LeoLady.
Lady Ashen is beautiful, as is calico (very kewl unique markings on him).
That KitchenAide is also very very nice looking.
Thanks for the pics!!!!! :thumb: :D

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I didn't know about all the work you do with children, LL! And kuddos to you for being a social worker. They are unsung heroes. Overworked, underpaid, and unnoticed, usually, (til something goes wrong) - they are often the only advocate an abused or neglected child has. Thank you so much for sharing your life with us.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wonderful spotlight LL. It's nice to get to know you better.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love your list of famous folks--quite eclectic! I bet Edna Lewis would love your cakes and pies. She was quite a lady and I admired her very much, too. Great to see more photos of Ashen and your calico furbaby. Now more folks, know what I know--that you are a kind, giving person who has tried to make a difference and give voice to those who do not have a voice. Kudos!