Creamed Artichokes and Crab

homecook

12 artichoke bottoms
1 large can crabmeat
1/2 cup grated cheese of your choice (I've used provolone, cheddar, montery jack, gruyere)

Place artichoke bottoms in a square or oblong buttered baking dish. On each one place crabmeat and cover with rich sherry cream sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Sauce

6 T. butter
6 T. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
2 cups hot milk
1/4 cup sherry

Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour with a whisk, allowing flour to cook for a minute. Add hot milk gradually, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper and sherry. Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh man, Barb, this sounds delicious! I get something similar at a restaurant in Port Aransas and I order it every time. But this sounds even better! Thanks.

BTW, what are artichoke bottoms and how do I cut it to get them? I think the dish I order is made with the hearts.

homecook

Oh man, Barb, this sounds delicious! I get something similar at a restaurant in Port Aransas and I order it every time. But this sounds even better! Thanks.

BTW, what are artichoke bottoms and how do I cut it to get them? I think the dish I order is made with the hearts.

That's what they are Terry, the hearts. I guess you can call them either. I can buy them here in a jar or can. I suppose you could take the time to cut them out of a fresh artichoke..........I'm too lazy. LOL

Deelady

If I remember correctly Trader Joe's sells them frozen in bags so you can just take how many you want.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's what they are Terry, the hearts. I guess you can call them either. I can buy them here in a jar or can. I suppose you could take the time to cut them out of a fresh artichoke..........I'm too lazy. LOL
My face is red - I should have known that. And canned hearts are perfect with me!:chef: