Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire / Primitive Cooking Forum

Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Soup Chef

Rustpot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Restoring Cast Iron stuff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Stomach View Post
I've been interested in Cast Iron Dutch Oven (DO) cooking ever since I was a Boy Scout Leader. We had a few recipes that were basic, easy and generally involved sweets. The purpose was to introduce the DO cooking to Scouts, if they were interested, then off they go, a budding young chef!!

So....I am going to do a continuing thread from acquiring some cast iron, refurbishing it, seasoning it and cooking a first meal. (Hopefully we won't be getting into stomach pumping 101).

Disclaimer:
I know nothing about cast iron cooking, I know nothing about aquiring used iron, I know nothing about refurbishing cast iron and I know nothing about seasoning cast iron. BUT, I know how to purchase books, and I know how to learn from others (Net Cooking Talk members).

That being said, It is my intention to use techniques from several different sources, share by posting what I've done and learned, and hopefully get input from others using this forum.

So, feel free to interject anytime with any input that you'd like to share so that we all can learn this old art form!!

Scotty
I remember my Grandmother cleaning her cast iron pot's & Pans by Building a fire in the back yard and laying the cast Iron right in the fire and letting the fire burn out, then wash, dry, and [season them] oil them up and heat them in the oven for one hr.

I have bought many Cast Iron pot's & pans at flee markets and do what my grandmother did and they come out like brand new cast iron pans. One time I bought at a flee market a frying pan [very cheep] that had a buildup of hard grease on it. After firing the frying pan it come out as clean as if it was brand new. The more one uses his or her cast iron the blacker & better it get. My cast Iron is better than non stick pans. Hope this helps.

Be always at war with your vices at peace with your neighbors and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,195 Posts
lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo

I have been wondering if running cast iron through a self cleaning cycle in the oven (maybe an hour) either before or after oiling (or both) would work/help to season. Any thoughts?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Soup Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbopeep View Post
I have been wondering if running cast iron through a self cleaning cycle in the oven (maybe an hour) either before or after oiling (or both) would work/help to season. Any thoughts?
I have heard people say that it works very well. I have never did this myself. I would say befor oiling as it should clean the cast iron then oil the cast iron then heat oven to 350 or 400 to open the pours of the cast iron to let the oil soak in and season the iron.

Be always at war with your vices at peace with your neighbors and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Restaurant Chef

lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustpot View Post
I have heard people say that it works very well. I have never did this myself. I would say befor oiling as it should clean the cast iron then oil the cast iron then heat oven to 350 or 400 to open the pours of the cast iron to let the oil soak in and season the iron.
Thank you

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Soup Chef

Norm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Two things.....

A picture of that skillet would be neat,

and I visited your blog in your signature line, how cool, some very nice looking dishes there!!! And thats funny, "that skinny chic....." she has some good looking (fattening) stuff too!

thanks
Scotty
I apologize for not answering your post sooner. I have not been around very much lately and honestly did not see it until now. Thank you for your comments. That skinny chick is an old friend and a remarkable baker.

Here is a picture of the pan that went through the dishwasher then got re seasoned. I took the handle off, of course.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Soup Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
I apologize for not answering your post sooner. I have not been around very much lately and honestly did not see it until now. Thank you for your comments. That skinny chick is an old friend and a remarkable baker.

Here is a picture of the pan that went through the dishwasher then got re seasoned. I took the handle off, of course.

That is a nice cast iron fry pan. I like the long wood handel.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Soup Chef

Norm is on a distinguished road

Thank you. The wood handle is what caught my eye when I saw it at the antique store.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Salad Chef

Fe Stomach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbopeep View Post
One of the articles I read, forgot where I read it, suggested that using the cleaning cycle for the initial "firing". So, I did it with a 4" pot, smoked up the house something terrible, but it did a good job making an even patina.

Scotty
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Restaurant Chef

Quote:
One of the articles I read, forgot where I read it, suggested that using the cleaning cycle for the initial "firing". So, I did it with a 4" pot, smoked up the house something terrible, but it did a good job making an even patina.

Scotty
Cool. I have some old slope sided small pans not very deep that were in bad shape and I packed them away because I needed large deeper skillets. I may dig them out and give it a shot.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Here is another link to help with care of cast iron. Lodge brand but works for all.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-car...e-and-care.asp

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Tractor Talk Forums +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++

Tags
cast iron care