Polish Vegetable Salad

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have the great fortune of working with a man from Poland. Since half of my family was Polish, my co-worker and I talk cooking.

When we talked about our plans for Easter, he told me about Polish Vegetable Salad, which he said could be the national dish of Poland. (How have I never heard of this???) There are many variations to it, but it's essentially a potato salad with extra vegetables in it.

DELICIOUS! I will always make it now!

Here's how I made ....

Polish Vegetable Salad

3 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, then diced
2 carrots, boiled, peeled, then diced
half a raw onion, diced
2 hard boiled eggs, diced
3 Polish pickles in brine, diced
1 apple, peeled and diced
1 cup frozen peas (cooked)
enough mayo just to coat, or to taste, maybe 2/3 cup

For some reason, it's important to scrub, but not peel or cut the potatoes and carrots (and parsnips, if you want) before boiling. Cook till tender, THEN peel and dice.

Mix with the rest of the stuff and toss lightly with mayo. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Good cold or at room temp.

Served with Blue Seal kielbasa (the BEST, from Chickopee, MA), hard boiled egg, horseradish and Polish rye bread from Pittsfield, MA.

Lee

Attachments

• Polish pickles.JPG
    Polish pickles.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Polish vegetable salad.JPG
    Polish vegetable salad.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Blue Seal kielbasa.JPG
    Blue Seal kielbasa.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 154
  • Blue Seal kielbasa, cooked.JPG
    Blue Seal kielbasa, cooked.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Polish Easter plate 4-15.JPG
    Polish Easter plate 4-15.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 145

homecook

That meal looks delicious and familiar!! We Polacks have made our potato salad this way for years, minus the peas because too many did not care for them.

As for boiling the potatoes with the skins on, I've always done this as my Babcia taught me that way and I still do it. Also with my "washing machine" potatoes. lol

homecook

LOL.......I thought all Polish people had this recipe.

Lee, I'll have to dig up some other recipes you probably didn't know. hahaha

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tried this tonight. A big hit with everyone. Awesome. Thanks Lee!!!

We did not find Polish pickles. DW used Valisic Dills and it worked. What is the difference with Polish pickles?

Attachments

• image-640291967.jpg
    image-640291967.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 118

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, Barb (homecook) might be a better person to answer this, but the Polish pickles are in salted water (brine) and not vinegar.

I think you can use any kind of pickle you like, though, Doc. Even sweet Bread and Butter pickles might work, though not traditional.

Glad you liked it! I will tell my co-worker!

Lee

P.S. Doc, did you add the apple?

homecook

My understanding is the Polish pickle is pickled longer and has more garlic added along with mustard seeds. I don't imagine a big taste difference with it being added to the salad. I'm no expert. :)