Karen's Minestrone Soup

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Here's a recipe for minestrone soup that I have developed over the years. You can use any kind of small dried bean, but I wouldn't use limas. And today, I'm adding ricotta meatballs, but it's good without any added meat. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I'll try to remember to get one today.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]KAREN'S MINESTRONE SOUP[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup dried kidney beans[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup dried garbanzo beans[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Quick soak the beans (bring to a boil, let boil vigorously for two minutes, cover and let soak for two hours)[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4 slices bacon, diced[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4 cloves garlic, sliced thin[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 medium onion, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 stalks celery, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 medium carrots, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 cups diced tomatoes with juice (canned or fresh)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 cups beef or vegetable broth[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Parmesan cheese rind(s)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 tsp Italian seasoning (oregano, basil, thyme, fennel)[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Saute bacon until crisp, remove from pan, crumble and set aside. Add olive oil if necessary and soften vegetables over medium high heat. Add seasoning, tomatoes, broth, cheese rind and beans to pot. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for two hours, until beans are beginning to soften.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]ADD:[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1/2 inch lengths[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1/2 cup diced zucchini[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup thinly sliced cabbage[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup dry small pasta [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]salt and pepper to taste[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Bring back to boil and simmer for another half hour. Add the crumbled bacon back to the pot. Serve with additional grated Parmesan. [/FONT]

Last edited:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
This sounds really good, and I'm not a big minestrone (GASP) fan. Will have to give this a try to see if it changes my perspective on it.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
One of the things that makes this version stand out for me is using the Parmesan rind...I scored some Parmigiano-Reggiano at Costco last week (not always easy to find here), and I think it makes a big difference. Smells good while it's cooking!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
The soup turned out great...

004.jpg
010.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This sounds really good, and I'm not a big minestrone (GASP) fan. Will have to give this a try to see if it changes my perspective on it.

Yeah, but Sattie, Karen puts BACON in hers! :biggrin:

Lee

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Let me get a "WHOOP WHOOP" for bacon! That was one of the ingredients along with the meat balls that got me interested!