Speciality Breads

Good morning, All: With Christmas racing down on us in two days, I got pressed into service by both my husband and my mother to do things to help out for the season. To begin with, this morning, Ian is working the breakfast shift and they're having a kid's breakfast party at the resort, complete with Santa and all the fixin's. My son and I have to dress up as Elves and help serve breakfast to an entire room full of children, mostly children of employees, who are being treated to a great party this morning in observance of the holiday. Then, as soon as I get back home I am going to be finishing up some baking that was begun yesterday, making bread to take to my parent's house on Christmas Day for the family get-together. Unfortunately, there's not going to be any photos of the breads I've made and am making today because Ian's been so busy getting his own job together that there's been little time for doing things like that but I promise the next time I do breads there'll be pictures of the results. But, for the bread bakers on the forum, I wanted to post the recipes for a couple of my favorites:

First of all, Bishop's Bread

Ingredients:

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 plain Hersey bar, broken
1 small jar glace cherries
1/2 cup dates, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease 1 loaf pan
Mix sugar and eggs. Add flour, baking powder, broken chocolate, floured, chopped dates and nuts. Mix well. Add cherries, with juice and mix well.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 45 minutes until done. Cool in pan for ten minutes and then turn onto rack to cool completely. This is a delicious, pretty and easy holiday bread to make. Enjoy.

The second bread is a bit more complicated and requires saffron which is somewhat difficult to obtain:

Swedish Saffron Buns

Ingredients:

2 pkgs. active, dry yeast
2 cups milk, heated to 115 degrees
2 tsp. saffron, lightly crushed
3/4 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar
6 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
3 eggs
12 tbls. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes and softened
canola oil for greasing.
raisins for garnish

Directions:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle, mix together yeast, milk, saffron and 1 tsp. sugar, let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining sugar, along with the flour, salt, and 2 eggs. Mix on low speed until dough forms and gathers around the paddle. Replace paddle with dough hook and add butter, knead on medium high speed until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, 8 minutes. Transfer dough to a large bowl greased with oil, turning dough to grease all sides, and cover, let rest in a warm place until doubled in bulk, one hour.

Divide dough into 32 pieces and roll each piece into an 8" long rope. Form each rope into an S shape and then roll each end into a light spiral. Place shaped dough pieces 2: apart on greased baking sheets, cover and let rest in a warm place for 30 minutes to allow to rise.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover the dough pieces and place a couple rasins at the center of each of the spirals. Lightly beat remaining egg and brush each bun. Bake until tuns are golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer buns to a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. These are wonderful!

Last but hardly least,

Eggnog Bread

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup dairy eggnog
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. rum extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease bottom of loaf pan
Beat eggs, add sugar, eggnog, butter, rum flavoring and vanilla
Blend well, add flour, baking powder and nutmeg
Stir until just moistened
Pour into greased pan
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
Cool 10 minutes
Remove from Pan and place on wire rack to cool

Serve warm with lots of butter. This is simply to die for! Enjoy

Wishing everyone a wonderful and happy holiday and a joyous New Year in 2013. Here's to many more great recipes to share and lots of good eating.

Ian and Fallon - Kieran, too.

Ian asked me to please post his recipe for our traditional Scottish Shortbread he loves so much. It's quick, easy and requires only three ingredients:

Ingredients:

2 cups, (1 pound) butter (be sure to use real butter, not margarine, to get the true wonderful, buttery taste)
1 cup brown sugar
4 cups flour

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Grease and flour baking sheets
Cream butter and sugar together. Gradually add flour and mix well
May be rolled out or baked in a pan
If rolled out, use cookie cutters or round biscuit cutter to make desired shapes.
Bake for 30 minutes until just slightly golden brown.

These are so good you just can't stop munching on them! And never, EVER ice shortbread cookies! Enjoy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Copied and saved the Eggnog Bread and Scottish Shortbread, Fallon.

Can't wait to try the former, and I've always adored the latter!

Thanks!

Lee

chilefarmer

Wishing I was there to do a taste test. Sounds wonderful. Saving the recipes for sure, Thanks. Merry Christmas Y'all. CF