NCT Member Spotlight: High Cheese

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Drumroll, please............ Our latest NCT member to fall under the Spotlight is: High Cheese!

Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.

I was born in 1975. Never moved out of New Jersey, or Monmouth County for that matter. I met my wife, who was originally from the Republic of Georgia, on Yahoo back in 2002 and we married in 2005. She has an 11 year old boy who lives with us now after we completed all the paperwork for immigration. We own the house my parents first bought back in 1971 but we plan on moving to southern NJ for larger property and a quieter neighborhood. Our other family member is my English Springer Spaniel Bloo. Her full name is Bloo Belle of Isabel Flower. I love her like a child. lol My mother started her own company back in 1980 soon after my parents divorced. The company, a courier service, has been a part of the family ever since I can remember. In fact, my uncles also started their own companies, all in the transportation biz. Cab companies, limousine services and car rental companies. After high school I worked full time with my mother which was very hard on our relationship. So I took a 9 year hiatus and worked for a friend of the family as a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic. I learned more from him than all my years in school. Not just about repair, but all things in the Real World. In 2001 my Mom asked if I would like to come back to the company to start taking it over and I agreed. A few years later she was able to retire so now I run the company along with a partner. We have around 10 drivers working for us and have delivered everything from the New Years Eve ball in NYC to crates of human heads donated for medical research. The company has it's ups and downs. It's nice being your own boss, but dealing with a broke down car on a Friday night during rush hour just plain sucks.

What part of the world do you live in?

The Jersey Shore

How did you find the NCT community?

I believe QSis led me here. I then recruited others from Happy Land.

Do you have any hobbies besides cooking?

I have way too many hobbies. I race motocross for one. I got back into racing after a 7 or so year hiatus. I love all motorcycles. I like to weld and work with wood. I used to draw but haven't done anything in years. I would really like to get into glass blowing. I play and collect guitars. I took up golf a few years ago, but racing has consumed all my free time. I also just got into photography. I love gardening and yard work in general.

If you could choose any profession or occupation, what would it be and why?

I wouldn't change a thing. I like the fact that I'm carrying on something my mother started. Hopefully I will be able to pass it on. I like keeping hobbies as hobbies, they stay fun that way.

How and why did you choose your Username? What does it mean?

High Cheese is a slang term for a high fastball. Usually you see a pitcher throw a high fastball for a third strike. They call it cheese because to a batter it looks so tempting but they usually swing under it.

What is a typical day like for you?

I sit at my desk and play on forums in between phone calls. lol

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

I helped with the 9-11 supplies relief effort.

I am also proud of myself for sticking with the racing this season. I finished 2nd place in a series.

Give us 5 words that describe you.

Caring, Creative, Stubborn, Funny, Procrastinator lol

Name 5 things that would be on your "bucket list".

Fly a plane, drink a $2000 bottle of wine, ride a dirt bike in the hills and dunes of California, go 200mph in the 1/4 mile, skydive.

Name 5 things you can't live without.

Only have three: My family, wine and motorcycles.

Who is your role model and why?

I'd have to say my parents. My father because he paid attention to detail. My mother because she's tough and self supportive.

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.

I'm allergic to pot.

What would the child you once were think of the adult you have become?

We would both call each other assholes....for sure.

What is the best moment of your life so far?

Graduating high school.

How and at what age did you start cooking?

I used to make omelets, really just scrambled eggs with stuff in them, when I was around 10-12. I really got into cooking around 2004, never looked back.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?

Eggplant Parmesan or Provencal Roasted Chicken

What is your favorite spice?

Black pepper.

What 2 cooking tools/gadgets/appliances would you swap from your kitchen and what would you swap them for?

Take the food processor for a garlic press. Take the boning knife for a 10" Mauviel fry pan.

What is your favorite restaurant meal?

Whopper with cheese.

What would your last meal be if you could choose anything at all?

My mom's lasagna.

If you could host a dinner party with 6 well-known guests, living or dead, who would they be and what would you serve?

John Candy, Andrew Zimmern, Kathy Bates, and the cast from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I would serve bar food, lots of beer and wine.

Who would you most like to prepare a meal for and why. What would you serve?

My father. He died before I got into cooking.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?

Chef Michel Richard

100 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?

I would like to have a larger immediate family and be remembered as an important figure in the family's history.

My father and I. I actually still have that motorcycle which is in the process of being restored.
Pics002.jpg

Bloo
IMG_1574.jpg

Some art and woodwork
Artwork.jpg

Woodwork006.jpg

P1010022.jpg

Some racing pics
IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent Cheese and good looking wood work and art for sure.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You have such an interesting life, Cheese! Two things strike me: first, I am thinking about that TV show where people tell the cab driver all sorts of crazy secrets and things about themselves. I'll bet you have some incredible stories about your business. (The human heads are pretty freakin' wild!!!) Second, I'm always impressed with step-parents. It's a tough job to be a non-bio parent, but step parents can truly change a child's life. Kuddos to you for this, my friend.

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks.

Yeah, we've delivered some weird stuff. Actually for those noggins, we shipped them out through JFK. Since there was some delay in shipping them out we...ahem, I...had to open the crates and add dry ice to them. It's weird how small your noggin really is when it's off your neck. Like a cantelope. lol I didn't actually see any faces or anything since they were wrapped in blue plastic.

Years ago, we used to have a woman call up who lived in a mental institution. We'd go buy her bags of sliced almonds and Marlboro Lights. lol

homecook

Great spotlight HC!! This says alot.......thanks for sharing.

Who is your role model and why?

I'd have to say my parents. My father because he paid attention to detail. My mother because she's tough and self supportive.

chowhound

I know someone with an old rickety airplane they want to sell... maybe we could get rid of three things on your bucket list with one shot :biggrin:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice interview Cheese! That's great that you are carrying on your family business. Congratulations on your second place finish...that's awesome!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great Spotlight Cheese! And now I know what HC means. I had no clue where your member name came from. :D
Interesting business you are in. Good to see you had the good sense to take you mom up on the offer to get back into it. :thumb:
Thanks so much for sharing a piece of yourself with all your buddies here on NCT. :thumb: :clap: :clap:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You'll always be Weezer to me! The parts about your mother are lovely. Sensitive men......have it all over those who are lacking. As always, it's a nice thing to get to know you better.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
What is your favorite restaurant meal?

Whopper with cheese.

What?????????? :tongue:
Coming from you, the master of delightful food creations, makes me feel somewhat better LOL

Nice spotlight Jay, now then.... what do you think of Valentino Rossi?

Your bike racing is obviously a huge passion, as well as cooking.

Great Spotlight! Thanks for sharing you and the good stuff about you.

PS: you are such a cutie pie.. can I pinch you? haha

High Cheese

Saucier
Ha! Thanks everyone.

Yeah, about the Whopper....whenever I'm not satisfied with a meal, the first thing I think about is a Whopper. lol DW and I have gone to the drive through a few times after dinner. It's terrible...but true. Can't help it. lol

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Cheese,
Do you get everything on your whopper? Sometimes I get everything, other times I'll go for cheese, lettuce and mayo. :thumb:
But BK's best sandwich IMHO is the bacon double cheese burger with pickle only. The other stuff they normally put on it ruins the sandwich. I got one by accident (they gave me the wrong order) At the time I worked right next door to them so I ate there way to often ...and I'd get to talking to the folks working there and somehow got the wrong bag, but I was glad I did. I'll still get one of those every once in awhile. Try one sometime, you might be pleasantly surprised.

High Cheese

Saucier
I just get it how it comes. I'm too scared to custom order it. lol The bacon dub IS top notch. I can eat like 5 of those with an original chicken samich chaser.

Try a bacon dub with fries on it. :thumb:

I like those Wendy's double stacks on their super value menu. IDK what it is about those, the bun or something makes them taste great. I can only do 2 with onion though, then I have to pick the onion off.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
TERRIFIC spotlight, Jay! You are a true Renaissance man!

RE:

- your bucket list: would love to split that bottle of wine with you! As for the rest of the list ... have fun, good luck, buh-bye.

- Kathy Bates is an interesting choice of dinner guest. I never would have thought to ask her, but I am very much of a fan.

- your moving from the Jersey Shore: awwwwwww, really? Lavallette was my favorite place to vacation as a kid, and someday, I hope to go back.

Lee

P.S. I'm getting a kick out of you and Doc waxing poetic about fast food. Too bad Chowhound isn't around to weigh in on this one. LOL!

chowhound

Not a big fan of BK, Lee. That smoky flavor they add to their burgers gives me heartburn an hour later. Not that I don't eat it once in a while... I'm a glutton for punishment ;^)

High Cheese

Saucier
TERRIFIC spotlight, Jay! You are a true Renaissance man!

RE:

- your bucket list: would love to split that bottle of wine with you! As for the rest of the list ... have fun, good luck, buh-bye.

- Kathy Bates is an interesting choice of dinner guest. I never would have thought to ask her, but I am very much of a fan.

- your moving from the Jersey Shore: awwwwwww, really? Lavallette was my favorite place to vacation as a kid, and someday, I hope to go back.

Lee

P.S. I'm getting a kick out of you and Doc waxing poetic about fast food. Too bad Chowhound isn't around to weigh in on this one. LOL!

Well, we will still only be a short drive to the beach. ;)
I like all the movies she's in, she seems down to earth unlike the rest of Hollywood.

We're actually doing a pick up near you in Holyoke tomorrow.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, we will still only be a short drive to the beach. ;)

Remarkably coincidentally, I'm watching the debut of a show on MTV called "The Jersey Shore". Looks kind of like a version of Big Brother, only the 8 houseguests are all 20-something Italian Americans, who proudly refer to themselves as "guidos and guidettes" and who are heavily into themselves and partying.

They are train wrecks, but I can't look away. :eek:

On the plus side, they are at Seaside Heights.

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Ahhh man, don't associate me with those people!

How about we collect them all and ship 'em up to Boston? Then you can watch them IN PERSON! lmfao