Mejadra

Johnny West

Re: Mejadrahttp://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/mejadra-from-jerusalem.html

I guess I messed up and did a double post. Sorry about that.

Here is last night's offering. I should have gotten out the Piri Piri to jazz it up a bit. The next time will have harrisa to go with it.

IMG_1410.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My plate... steaming.

IMG_1415.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

For tonight....

Ingredients:

3/4 cup brown lentils (or whatever you have on hand)
1 cup water + more
2-4 white onions, sliced, diced, chopped, etc.
Oil (enough to fit the bottom of the pan)
1 cup brown rice (white is traditionally used, but I like to be healthy)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons butter (optional)
Directions:

1. Combine the lentils with water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils soften slightly.

2. Cover the bottom of a large skillet with oil. Turn the heat to medium-low and wait until it is hot.

3. Add the onions to the skillet, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized. This will take a long time, so be patient. With sliced onions, count on 45 minutes. With chopped ones, it will be shorter. Keep an eye on them and remember to keep the heat low to really get the sweet onion flavor.

4. Drain the lentil liquid into a measuring cup and add enough liquid to measure 1 1/2 cups. Return to saucepan and add the rice, salt, and half the onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for the amount of time stated on your rice package (20-50 minutes).

5. If you prefer, add butter during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.

6. Top the rice and lentils with the remaining onions and serve with plain yogurt on the side.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wowwwwww! I've never heard of that! It sounds and looks WONDERFUL!

Who requested it - your vegetarian son?

I've made Sarah Moulton's Matzo Brei with Crispy Onions several times - it, too, is wonderful, but cooking the crispy onions is indeed tedious! That's a dish that your son would like, if he eats eggs and cheese.

Lee

Johnny West

He eats eggs and cheese and is not vegan. When he walked the Camino in 05 he went back to eating meat and enjoyed it but after coming home he went back to it.

I've been making this dish for several years and heard about it from a dear friend. I have the Tastes of Allepo cookbook and use this recipe. Mejadra and cascasoon are favorites now.

Johnny West

Wowwwwww! I've never heard of that! It sounds and looks WONDERFUL!

Who requested it - your vegetarian son?

I've made Sarah Moulton's Matzo Brei with Crispy Onions several times - it, too, is wonderful, but cooking the crispy onions is indeed tedious! That's a dish that your son would like, if he eats eggs and cheese.

Lee

This one looks good, too. Especially adding some greens.

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2010/01/matzo-brei/

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Also known as Mujadara.
This was something I used to make for Steve and I back in England.

We liked ours with cumin (and a plop of sour cream added when plated).

Johnny West

Sass, your spelling is what I was used to and imagine it depends on what part of the Middle East the recipe comes from.

Here is my plate from tonight. There was hummus & naan and cukes with yoghurt for sides. I did spice it up with Piri Piri.

Attachments

• ########Med.JPG
    ########Med.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, your spelling is what I was used to and imagine it depends on what part of the Middle East the recipe comes from.

Here is my plate from tonight. There was hummus & naan and cukes with yoghurt for sides. I did spice it up with Piri Piri.

:smile: very nice.