Ranch House Potato Casserole - a delicious main event

Ian M.

I'm making this tonight for my poker buddies - hope I don't lose my shirt like I did the last time!

4 large russet baking potatoes
3 tbls. dry white wine
1 tbls. unsalted butter
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 tbls. olive oil, butter or bacon drippings
1 large green bell pepper, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. dried basil
5 slices of bacon, fried crisp, drained and crumbled
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika

Boil potatoes until soft, about 45 minutes, and drain. Coarsley mash with potato masher or fork When potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove skins and slice potatoes into a large bowl. Add the wine, butter, salt and pepper and continue to coarsley mash.

Spoon olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers onion and basil and saute until vegetables are soft. Turn sauted veggies out over the mashed potatoes and crumble bacon over all. Stir in the vinegar.
Fold in the shredded cheese.

Let mixture cool to room temperature and turn into prepared, greased casserole dish and spread out into flat layer with rubber spatula. Sprinkle with a handful of shredded cheese and paprika.

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.

This is delicious served with hot Italian sausages or brats and lots of mustard for the sausages! Best to have plenty of ice cold Guinnes on hand, too.

Eat hearty! :cooking:

Ian M.

Thanks, CF. I sure wish you were coming over, too. I've got a suspicion you're a killer poker player and these guys I plaly with could use a bit of competition! The supper I cooked for them went down real well and this time I only lost a little bit of change.......for a change. Afraid I'm not much competition for the "animals". :whistle:

Ian

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
These sound really good Ian! I have a question though....where do the sliced potatoes come into play?

Ian M.

Hi Mama...Sorry about that! I'm afraid I wrote that recipe rather badly. In point of fact, just boil those 4 big russets and then mash 'em, adding the other ingredients and continuing to mash, per what I wrote. I don't know why I put in that business about slicing the potatoes....mind on the upcoming poker game, I guess. Anyway, hopefully folks will just ignore that bit. Trying to slice what you'd already rough-mashed would be a tad messy? :dizzy:

Ian

Incidently, the Sox are trying super hard to lose the ball game to Baltimore tonight! Boo!!

Last edited: