Bison Steaks?

GrillinFool

I tried my hand at Bison steaks over the weekend. Bison Steaks on Friday night, Crab Legs, Escargot, Crab Stuffed Prawns with drawn butter on Sat night. It was a Low Carb dream come true. It was also a cardiologists dream but I digress.

So Bison, much leaner than steak. More expensive. Somewhat tastier. Is it worth it? Oh and you gotta cook it a little differently.

How does this look?

11.JPG

If anyone is interested the rest of the pics and the write up are here

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
It looks freakin awesome!!! I don't know that I would trade beef for bison, but I do like something a bit different once in a while. This looks much better than the cheesy-ass steak Blackwing sent me. I would love to find that around here!

chowhound

That doesn't look bad at all. Interesting grain.
I can't wait to give it a try, but like I posted, the price is pretty high and I buy my ribeyes and such by the loin. You tell me... is it worth it? I'm going to try it anyway.

GrillinFool

That doesn't look bad at all. Interesting grain.
I can't wait to give it a try, but like I posted, the price is pretty high and I buy my ribeyes and such by the loin. You tell me... is it worth it? I'm going to try it anyway.

It's worth it to say you did it. No way I quit beef and go bison from here on out. It is better for you but at a price, not very often....

BBQ Queen

"
I tried my hand at Bison steaks over the weekend. So Bison, much leaner than steak. More expensive. Somewhat tastier. Is it worth it? Oh and you gotta cook it a little differently."

When I've tried bison, I find that it is delicious, but tends toward being a little tough. The "lower, slower" rule of cooking works well for some dishes, but it is far from fool-proof on the BBQ, I find.

A little age helps, too. I recently tried an unusual product for dry-aging safely at home. It's called a Drybag and you need a sealer to make it work (okay by me--I use mine all the time). I tried it with bison for just about five days and found that the texture of the meat was more tender than usual off the barbecue.

I've got some regular rib eye aging now two weeks and look forward to seeing how rich and tender that flavor gets. I was thinking it might be too much time for a piece of bison--already kind of a strong flavor to start with.

Glad to join your ranks.

Oh--I think the Drybags are available at drybagsteak.com.

The Drybags are kind of a fun new toy in my kitchen.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hi BBQ Queen! Welcome aboard! You ought to make an Introduction thread so that everyone see's you're here!

GrillinFool

"
I tried my hand at Bison steaks over the weekend. So Bison, much leaner than steak. More expensive. Somewhat tastier. Is it worth it? Oh and you gotta cook it a little differently."

When I've tried bison, I find that it is delicious, but tends toward being a little tough. The "lower, slower" rule of cooking works well for some dishes, but it is far from fool-proof on the BBQ, I find.

A little age helps, too. I recently tried an unusual product for dry-aging safely at home. It's called a Drybag and you need a sealer to make it work (okay by me--I use mine all the time). I tried it with bison for just about five days and found that the texture of the meat was more tender than usual off the barbecue.

I've got some regular rib eye aging now two weeks and look forward to seeing how rich and tender that flavor gets. I was thinking it might be too much time for a piece of bison--already kind of a strong flavor to start with.

Glad to join your ranks.

Oh--I think the Drybags are available at drybagsteak.com.

The Drybags are kind of a fun new toy in my kitchen.

I've been thinking about getting a sealer. This might push me over the edge. That is if I survive this round of layoffs. 10% of the corporate staff at my company is being sent packing today and tomorrow. Oh, happy times