Salmon Patties

AllenOK

Salmon Patties
Yields:

This is something that can be a quick meal, or a fast lunch, especially if you have the salmon mixture already made up. You can use canned salmon for this, but I find you get the best results if you poach fresh salmon. You can also save money by purchasing salmon scraps, such as the tail-end, and belly meat, from a local fishmonger.

For the Court-Bouillon:
2 qt water
½ c white wine
7 - 10 whole black peppercorns
1 t Old Bay Seasoning
1 rib of celery, root end, leaves, and all, washed and cut in half
½ onion, skin, root end, and all
For the patties:
1 ½# raw salmon
-or- canned salmon
1 T Mayo
1 T Dijon mustard
1 Egg
¼ t Salt
¼ t pepper
¾ t Old Bay seasoning
2 T Chopped green onions
3 T Chopped red onions
Several leaves of fresh basil, chiffonade
Bread crumbs for dredging
2 T vegetable oil

Combine all the ingredients for the Court-Bouillon. Bring to a simmer, cover, and lower the heat so you maintain a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes to one hour. Once the Court-Bouillon is nicely flavored, bring it to a rolling boil. Add the salmon, cover, and turn the heat to low again. Poach for 5 - 10 minutes. You don’t want the liquid to boil, as this will break the meat apart.
Once the salmon is fully cooked, remove as much of the larger pieces as you can. Strain the liquid and remove the remaining salmon. Discard the solid pieces of the Court-Bouillon. Cool the salmon in the refrigerator.
Mix together the mayo, mustard, egg, seasonings, both onions, and the basil. Add the salmon and mix. Do this gently so you don’t break the salmon up to finely, as you want some nice chunks. Form into large patties for sandwiches, or smaller patties for entrées. Dredge the patties in the breads crumbs. Cook the patties in a skillet, in the oil, over medium to mid-high heat until well-browned.

I make a similar mixture (using canned salmon, which I love) with some sauteed diced onion & red bell pepper added. But instead of forming patties, I mix dry seasoned bread crumbs into the salmon mix, press it lightly into a loaf pan & bake @ 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes (or until heated through). I then slice like a meatloaf & serve with lemon wedges & either tartar or Hollandaise sauce.

Leftovers are great either cold or reheated in the microwave; plated or on a sandwich.

Phiddlechik

My mom would make salmon loaf... and try as I might, I just don't like canned salmon. Actually, I just started eating salmon, like it best poached lightly, or steamed in paper, with some leeks, carrots. I bet it is much better with Hollandaise! I'll have to try it again with some of these recipes/suggestions.

My dad got paid on a 4-6 week timetable, & as kids we always knew when he was on the 6-week schedule because towards the end of that time period, mom would break out all of her innovative "budget" meals - curried eggs, creamed chipped beef on toast, stews, & of course - salmon loaf - lol!! But I did love it & actually looked forward to it. Mom could make even basic budget stuff taste special.

These days I only make it once in awhile because hubby doesn't care for it much. I can hear an audible sigh over the phone when he makes his daily "what's for dinner" call when he's leaving work - lol!! And now, due to this thread, I have a taste for it. Am thinking hubby will be putting a contract out on "AllenOK" for bringing it to mind - lol!

Oh, & as much as I also love wild-caught fresh salmon & buy it frequently, canned salmon is EXTREMELY good for you. It's wild caught, & since the skin & bones are included & soft & edible (just like sardines), canned salmon actually has more calcium & Omega 3's than fresh.

K

Kimchee

Copied this one thanks!
I could, can and do eat canned salmon right out of the can.
Lovely stuff! (I like the crunchy little bones, nom nom)

AllenOK

Thanks everyone! Breezy, another contract hit attempt will not faze me :)

Kimchee, I can understand eating good-quality canned salmon like that. However, my MIL would only get USDA gov'ment-issue "commodity" salmon, which was NASTY! I usually only eat fresh or frozen salmon.

Phiddlechick, try Blackened Salmon. It's sauteed in butter, with lots of good seasonings. You can serve w/ Hollandaise if you want.

PanchoHambre

Sounds really good Allen. I love poached salmon so much it is hard to go to step two, but a great excuse to make more.

AllenOK

Pancho, if you're buying a whole side (I know, it's $$$$), just save the scraps and belly meat. When you get a few pounds of salmon scraps, thaw it out, and poach it to make the patties.

Occasionally one of my Sous Chefs will give me about 10 lbs of salmon scraps, which I can turn into two meals by making salmon patties.

apinchofflavor

Looks way better than I thought it would when I read salmon pattie. I may make this sometime as I do love salmon. The fish department at my local grocery store have no idea how to cut fish so they always have lots of cheap scraps around for me to buy.