American Chop Suey?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also have had goulash made by my grandmother who was Hungarian. She used braised beef and was sort of like a stew. She sometimes put it over potatoes or flat egg noodles.

She also made a version of Chop Suey usually after Thanksgiving to get rid of the extra turkey. As near as I can remember she used celery, carrots, water chestnuts with the turkey and a light broth over rice. We then would put those crispy noodles on top with soy sauce. I liked as a kid but lost my taste for it later in life.

GotGarlic

I also never heard of American chop suey before I joined cooking forums, but I've lived primarily in Michigan and Virginia, and according to Wikipedia, that name is used primarily in New England: American chop suey It's just as cookingirl described, along with a few variations.

JoeC, just "chop suey" is different from this. It's based on a Chinese stir-fry technique, but I don't think it's authentically Chinese. My mother used to make what sounds like your description; she usually used leftover roast pork with a can of Chinese veggies and water chestnuts and a light sauce made with (I think) cornstarch and soy sauce.

So everyone's right :mrgreen:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also never heard of American chop suey before I joined cooking forums, but I've lived primarily in Michigan and Virginia, and according to Wikipedia, that name is used primarily in New England: American chop suey It's just as cookingirl described, along with a few variations.

JoeC, just "chop suey" is different from this. It's based on a Chinese stir-fry technique, but I don't think it's authentically Chinese. My mother used to make what sounds like your description; she usually used leftover roast pork with a can of Chinese veggies and water chestnuts and a light sauce made with (I think) cornstarch and soy sauce.

So everyone's right :mrgreen:

Actually GG chop suey is American as this is where it originated. As I said my grandmother made it with turkey chunks but I've had it with both pork and beef. It is based loosely on stir fry methods. And yes my grandmother also use a bit of chicken/turkey broth with soy sauce and corn starch as a thickener. She even would put in some bamboo shoots occasionally. It wasn't bad at all I just lost the taste for it as I got older and actually ate some real Asian foods. Chow Mein is another dish that is very similar and I think is also American invented as I've never seen in any part of Asia. :respect:

Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Here in the PNW we use sliced steak braised with beef broth, lots of sweet paprika, green peppers, onions, mushrooms & sour cream served with spaetzel or noodles

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I also have had goulash made by my grandmother who was Hungarian. She used braised beef and was sort of like a stew. She sometimes put it over potatoes or flat egg noodles.

She also made a version of Chop Suey usually after Thanksgiving to get rid of the extra turkey. As near as I can remember she used celery, carrots, water chestnuts with the turkey and a light broth over rice. We then would put those crispy noodles on top with soy sauce. I liked as a kid but lost my taste for it later in life.

Oh joec that sounds divine! I can't wait to do that with my turkey leftovers! What a great idea!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh joec that sounds divine! I can't wait to do that with my turkey leftovers! What a great idea!!

My grandmother couldn't cook for just 4 people especially on holidays. At any rate she would make club sandwiches one day with the white meats then the Chop Suey with the dark meat. It was usually gone pretty quick too as she also served the food on your plate you didn't ever serve yourself. She also expected you to clean the plate which we did.:wink:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Club sandwiches, joe!!!

What a great idea for leftover turkey!! I never think of them.

I believe I ordered a club sandwich every single time my parents took me out for lunch when I was a kid. But it never occurs to me to make them myself!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Easy to make really as a standard club sandwich is pretty simple really

white bread enough for 3 slices for each sandwich
mayonnaise or miricle whip
lettuce
tomato slices
salt and pepper to taste
crispy cooked bacon
sliced turkey (I prefer the breast but your choice)
plastic coctail swords or tooth picks in a pinch.

Pretty simple 3 decker sandwich really. Now I not a fan of turkey or chicken however I will jump on one of these.

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Easy to make really as a standard club sandwich is pretty simple really

white bread enough for 3 slices for each sandwich
mayonnaise or miricle whip
lettuce
tomato slices
salt and pepper to taste
crispy cooked bacon
sliced turkey (I prefer the breast but your choice)
plastic coctail swords or tooth picks in a pinch.

Pretty simple 3 decker sandwich really. Now I not a fan of turkey or chicken however I will jump on one of these.
I made MANY turkey or roast beef clubs (the occasional request for a tuna salad, chicken salad or egg salad club) when I worked at the deli. When the boss wasn't around those suckers would fed 2 happily! LOL

I don't make them often at home but I always liked mine on rye whenever I ordered them out.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like the roast beef and pastrami clubs on rye but from some reason prefer the turkey, tuna and egg salads on white all with mayonnaise. I guess it is just me but then I use mustard or horse radish sauce on the beef or pastrami also. I do like a touch of mustard added to the egg salad though.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I like the roast beef and pastrami clubs on rye but from some reason prefer the turkey, tuna and egg salads on white all with mayonnaise. I guess it is just me but then I use mustard or horse radish sauce on the beef or pastrami also. I do like a touch of mustard added to the egg salad though.
I like dry mustard in egg salad. My DD likes mustard on tuna salad <brrrrrrr> Not sure where she got that from LOL

I like home roasted turkey breast, stuffing, LOTS of lettuce on untoasted white with mayo s and p.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like dry mustard in egg salad. My DD likes mustard on tuna salad <brrrrrrr> Not sure where she got that from LOL

I like home roasted turkey breast, stuffing, LOTS of lettuce on untoasted white with mayo s and p.

I often use dried mustard also in my egg salad also. I don't know about tuna salad with mustard though. :blush:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thats what my other DD and I said.

I was thinking maybe a tarter sauce with tuna instead of the usual mayonnaises/miracle whip. I do like a hard boiled egg, union and a touch of sweet relish in my tuna salad also.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I was thinking maybe a tarter sauce with tuna instead of the usual mayonnaises/miracle whip. I do like a hard boiled egg, union and a touch of sweet relish in my tuna salad also.
My girl is a rebel!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, I'm going to mix the browned ground beef, sweated green peppers and onions with a can of diced tomatoes. If THAT's not right, then I'll add some canned tomato soup to the whole thing. And seasoning.

I made the ACS as written above, and ended up using a can of condensed tomato soup.

It LOOKS right, and it tastes good, so I think the tomato soup WAS the mystery ingredient, Kimchee!

Lee

Attachments

• ACS.JPG
    ACS.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 208

High Cheese

Saucier
Lee, that recipe looks just like a Pula Deen recipe the wife makes for me sometimes, I think this is it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/waynes-beef-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

Basically you do what you did there, put it in a baking dish topped with grated cheddar and bake. I swear I could eat myself to death on that stuff.

My Mom used to take the turkey leftovers and make open faced turkey sandwiches. Two slices of white bread topped with stuffing, turkey and gravy. I could that dish as a pillow.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I made the ACS as written above, and ended up using a can of condensed tomato soup.

It LOOKS right, and it tastes good, so I think the tomato soup WAS the mystery ingredient, Kimchee!

Lee

It actually looks a lot like a dish I make that I've named TexMex hamburger helper. It started out with me making tacos for my kids one night to find out the box of shells in the pantry they had already eaten so I mixed it with elbow macaroni. It has since changed and I've nailed it down. It is also often better the next day as left overs. Recipe goes as follows:

1 large onion diced
1 lbs ground beef
1 bell pepper (optional)
1 can of Rotel Tomatoes
1 package of Old El Paso Taco seasoning ( I make my own )
1/2 cup of low sodium Beef broth
3 table spoons of your favorite salsa ( I prefer the hot )
1 lb of elbow macaroni
1 tbl of garlic finely chopped
1 to 3 jalapeños peppers (optional if you like it with a bit more kick)
cayenne, black, red pepper and salt to taste
cummin and celentro (optional)

In a large skillet or sauté pan put about a table spoon of oil (I use olive oil) and add onions, jalapeños and bell pepper (if used) and sauté this until it starts turning translucent on medium heat.

Add the ground beef to the pan and season with peppers and salt to taste. Once beef is starting to brown add the Rotel tomatoes drained and stir it around a bit.

Now add the beef broth followed by the Taco seasoning and salsa and bring to a low boil for about 2 min. Now turn it down to a low simmer with a lid on it.

At this point my pasta pot is at a roll boil so I add salt to the water then the macaroni. Once pasta is done drain it an mix it in the pan of meat etc. Be sure to mix it well. Let it sit a couple of minutes on low heat and serve. I also often add cheese such as Jack or Cheddar over it as a topping.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! I guess there are versions of this dish, by many names, across the country!

Good comfort food, no matter where you are!

Thanks for playing, everyone!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
LOL! I guess there are versions of this dish, by many names, across the country!

Good comfort food, no matter where you are!

Thanks for playing, everyone!

Lee

I agree as almost anything goes with macaroni/pasta really. Rice is another thing that always seems to work mixed. ;)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is the way my father likes American Chop Suey, and the way my mother made it when I was growing up.

No tomato anything!

Dad is coming to visit next week so I cooked up a batch to have one night when he's here and some for him to take home.

Lee

Attachments

• ACS.JPG
    ACS.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 157

Johnny West

That looks good. My mom made the goulash with mac and tomato sauce. At school it was called chili mac. I like it all and add hot sauce at the table.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
This is the way my father likes American Chop Suey, and the way my mother made it when I was growing up.

No tomato anything!

Dad is coming to visit next week so I cooked up a batch to have one night when he's here and some for him to take home.

Lee
Looks wonderful. What's in there Lee?