Easy Casserole for two old bachelors!!

Ian M.

Since my Dad and I are keeping bachelor hall for a few weeks until we move on to Ireland, we scrounged around and found a recipe that's supposed to be great just for kids. Well, we're kids, too, at heart! We invited my two brothers over for the evening and the four of us had boy's night in - this was what we ended up with and it's sooooooo good.
Needless to say, we had to triple the recipe to make enough for the four of us, but the recipe is actually more than sufficient for two people - if they don't happen to be Irishmen!!

One Pot recipe: Kielbasa, cheese and tomato with pasta

1 cup of pasta of choice, uncooked. Do not cook pasta in advance of adding it to the cooking mixture. We used elbows because it was all Da and I could find in the pantry but the recipe calls for fusilli

1 pound of kielbasa or smoked sausage, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups chicken broth

1 (10 oz.) tin crushed tomatoes with herbs
We used 1 tin of diced tomatoes because it was all we could find and then we chopped them up smaller

1 cup cheddar jack cheese, grated

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 tbls. extra-virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Brown kielbasa in a large saute' pan with olive oil, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to bottom of pan. Add in garlic after meat is browned and cook for 30 seconds to one minute.
Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes and cream and bring mixture to a boil. Add in pasta, cover and lower heat to simmer. Simmer until pasta is tender and sauce has reduced, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take mixture off the heat and stir in cheese until melted. Serve hot. This stuff is delicious and is even better for breakfast the following day! It keeps well in a covered dish overnight. Da calls it slumgullion! I call it good!! All these flavours work well together - the longer they sit, the better they taste!

Ian :readytoeat: