ISO Pressure Cooker Tips

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I got my first pressure cooker for xmas. Now I need to get a clue how to use it!! LOL I know it cooks food quick.

I have a 5.5 lb bottom round but I can only find recipe/instructions for 3 lbs of meat to cook for 45 - 55 minutes. Can I cook this one for 60 minutes? Or do I HAVE to cut it down?

Any and all pressure cooker tips/cooking times for any & all foods /recipes/ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mr. Green Jeans

LBP, ours gets used mainly for cooking beans. DW has been on a hummus kick as of late and garbanzos are an excellent buy dry. They still need to be soaked but the cooking time is way less than just boiling.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Do I HAVE to soak my dry beans if I use the pressure cooker?

joec

Gold Site Supporter

I do and I also have a 4qt and 6qt set up that I use. It is good for making stocks, pot roasts even ribs. Mine came with a cook book included in the manuals but I've found hundreds of pressure cooker recipes on the net as well.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

I posted this in the dinner thread but I'll post it here as well so that it doesn't get lost. From Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Site

"... not all beans need to be soaked. The softer categories of legumes like Split Peas, Lentils and Butterbeans can be quickly pressure cooked without soaking, but the hardest beans, such as the Soybean, are so hard they need a full 12 hours to rehydrate."

Pressure Soak Method for beans:

1. Cover beans by 3 inches of water. Bring to pressure. Cook 5 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat, and let pressure drop naturally.
  3. Drain and discard the water and rinse beans.
  4. Proceed with the recipe.