4 Tbls. butter
1/4 c. veg oil
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise

Cut onions in half, then slice them into 1/8" thick half rounds (You will have about 3 c.).

Heat butter & oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, cayenne, salt & pepper. Saute 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to med-low & cook stirring occasionally 20 minutes more until onions are browned & carmelized. Allow onions to cool.

Place cream cheese, sour cream & mayo in bowl & beat with mixer til smooth. Add onions & mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.

Barb

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Most of the time my wife will just use sour cream and lipton onion soup mix. I do it very similar to you but also add a few shallots also and I've never used mayo but will try it next time. I love onion dip myself but don't eat it much as it doesn't last around here, grand kids don't you know. Salsa is also hard to keep so we are some times forced to hide the chips from them.

homecook

:lol: I have 2 grandsons......I know of what you speak! The oldest is only 8 but can eat you out of house and home. lol

I've used the onion soup mix, but I find it too salty.
I make my own mix when a recipe calls for the mix.

Barb

joec

Gold Site Supporter
They don't have taste buds at all because if it is crawling and they can catch it they will eat it I'm sure. :yuk:

My wife and I make the real stuff for us though we don't make it often as neither of us really eat a lot of chips or vegetables and dips.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This onion dip is out of this world. I mean really, really good. I had a baguette, so I cut some thin slices, lightly toasted them, put a little pile of the dip on them, and Oh-la-la. If you are an onion dip lover, you must try this one. Great for veggies, chips, thin crackers.......I'm even thinking putting some on a baked potatoe if there is any left, which I seriously doubt!

3939291824_2d6c4a0ce0.jpg

homecook

Cooksie.........that looks awesome! Thank you so much for trying my recipe, I'm glad you really liked it!! :chef:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:oops: I was editing this photo on Flicker yesterday and accidentally deleted the original. I'm technology challenged :(.

3941313377_44389e0548.jpg

Deelady

I have a recipe in my Barefoot Contessa cookbook for the same I have always been meaning to try....guess I get lazy and usually end up getting the soup mix with sour cream! One day I will I promise cause it looks soooo yummy!

suziquzie

nice bump!!!
i'll try this out on first-timer company saturday..... they'll mostly be here for beer but i'd say dip goes with beer!
if i made it friday would it be ok sitting overnight?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Deelady - I've always used the soup mix with sour cream too, but this is really better (if you can imagine that :shock:). It's really rich......good with veggies and spread on thin baguette slices.

Suzi--It most definitely goes with beer :beer: Lol--what doesn't????

homecook

Of course it goes with beer!!!! Would I suggest a recipe that DIDN'T go with beer?? LOL

I've also made this the night before, just take it out 30 to 60 minutes before serving to get it to room temp.