Let's Talk ... Canning and Preserving

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Fall is here and some of us already got snow. It's time to "put up" goodies for the long cold winter to come.

Please share your tips, techniques and secrets to success with canning and preserving.

Pictures and recipes are optional but always welcome.

canning_Lets_talk.jpg

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Here's the one and only thing that I've ever "put up." After I went to all that trouble with a water bath, etc., I got scared that I didn't do it right and put all the jars in the refrigerator.

I do freeze a lot of stuff.

GreenTomatoRelish.jpg

Yeah, I'm a "freezer" as well. Never warmed up to canning - especially after getting serious nearly fatal food poisoning from some pickled jalapenos gifted to me from a cousin.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Green tomato relish....it's great with fried catfish :)mrgreen: I know you're wrinkling your nose right now :mrgreen:).

LOL! No, I'm not! I've loved everything I've ever made with green tomatoes, and I'm sure I'd like the relish. In fact, I think I've made some of that, years ago!

Lee

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
bumpity.gif

It's that time of year again. What are you "putting" up?

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We went to my youngest brother's 60th birthday party yesterday at a nearby park, and passed a roadside stand where the gardener was putting out heads of cabbage. I stopped on our way home and bought a beautiful, 4-1/2# head of cabbage for $1.25, and will make first venture into the land of Homemade sauerkraut after work tonight. With just cabbage, sea salt and time, it's one of the easiest foods to prepare. Depending on how it turns out, I may also can some of it for Winter use. I've read it can last indefinitely in the fridge, but I'll just feel safe if I can it. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• cabbage 072213.jpg
    cabbage 072213.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 213

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, really, Joe?

I somehow thought you had to put it in a huge crock and keep it in the cellar for weeks and had to endure some really smelly times.

Maybe I'm vaguely remember my Polish Aunt Stella's method when I was a tot?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I posted this to my facebook page as well, and mentioned my father making large batches in the basement, complete with strong odors and many, many fruit flies. I did a lot of research on "small batch sauerkraut," and all of the researched confirmed this jar method as being safe, nutritious, quick, easy and without unpleasant odors. I remembered my childhood experiences that were rooted in Eastern European methods from generations long gone, and thankfully things have become safer and simpler, while maintaining probiotic and nutrition benefits. Cabbage is an outstanding source of vitamin C, with the red cabbage having the highest vitamin C content.

You can make one quart of sauerkraut with a single 2-3# head of cabbage.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, really, Joe?

I somehow thought you had to put it in a huge crock and keep it in the cellar for weeks and had to endure some really smelly times.

Maybe I'm vaguely remember my Polish Aunt Stella's method when I was a tot?

Lee
That is how I have always done it. It does not get bad if you keep cheesecloth and an old washing machine lid over it. Then you scrape off the slimy stuff on top and enjoy or can it. I used to do 3 big crocks every year. About 30 heads like Joe posted. When the kids were home the one crock we just ate out of as needed and canned the other 2. I had to quit making it a few years back when the docs fussed about me eating it. Might have to try Joe's method here soon. This is a big cabbage growing area and they sell truckloads up at the produce auction.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm getting into canning this year for the first time. Since I have an induction stove my options are limited to the Fagor 10 qt 9 pc system which I ordered today. Jars, lids etc I can get locally at Meijers or Walmart pretty cheap so not a big deal on that. I really wanted a bigger pressure cooker but Fagor is the only one that is in my price range as the others are about 6x the price. Presto and others only have aluminum which I can't use. If it doesn't work out it will give me the Fagor 4qt, 8 qt and now the 10 qt pressure cookers which I can still use.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I stopped at a garage sale today, and found a nice piece of glazed crockery for $2. It holds a little over 1 gallon of liquid. It's 6" at the top and about 8" tall.

With this nice crock, I decided to make some more sauerkraut. I picked up two heads of cabbage from a small farmer, who actually went to the field and cut them fresh for me, since he only had one on the stand. When it was all trimmed and shredded, I had about 7-1/2#, which left about 1" at the top of the crock after the weight was added. I'm looking forward to some good kraut at the end of August.'

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What a wonderful photo, Joe!

You've captured the spirit of the venture!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A man told me today how he peels, slices, and salts eggplant, leaving it to drain overnight (weighted down). Then he layers the slices, olive oil, some basil, and garlic in Ball jars and keeps them in a dark pantry.

No water bath, no refrigerator. I asked if he was worried about botulism, and he looked surprised. Says he's done it for years and no one has gotten sick yet.

Is he rolling the dice?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have had both success & failure. The failure came from the first batch I made, which I put too much salt in. I got ready to bottle it tonight, and both me and DW did not care for the smell of this batch. We compared it to the second batch in the 1-gallon crock, and decided to err on the side of caution and toss the first batch. the second batch smelled & tasted like sauerkraut is supposed to smell and taste. So, I bottled it up and put in the fridge to be consumed in the coming months. I made sure to have liquid over the kraut. DW will be going to dinner with her sisters tomorrow, so I may bring out the Hungarian Hurka (rice ring) sausage I have in the freezer, and make that with a nice pile of kraut in the middle. I'll post if I make it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those jars of kraut are making my mouth water, Joe!

Lee