Food tips

chowhound

I'm not sure if this category fits, but here's my story and newly discovered "tip".

Aside from vaccum sealing foods for the freezer, I like to use plastic containers. Especially if I'm going to be reheating the food in it. I like containers for sauces and soups especially. The only downside I've run into is they seem to frost up quickly and your food gets ice crystals on it in that small air gap. Maybe that doesn't hurt the food, but I don't like it. So, a couple months ago I had an idea :shock:
I tore off a piece of plastic wrap and pressed it on top of the spaghetti sauce inside the container, working it so it was pressed against the sides of the container and there wasn't any air trapped under it. Then I put the lid on. The sauce I took out and thawed yesterday looked frozen, but had no frost or ice crystals on it. Nor were there any formed inside the container. I was mildly surprised.

I'm curious if anyone already does this. I've never heard or seen it being done, but I think it bears some merit. I'm going to start doing it to all liquids I freeze using containers.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I have done this CH... it is very effective. But for some reason, I never use in on my cilantro or pest sauces I make. Thanks for bringing this up! Rep points for you!

Calicolady

I do this.
I also put plastic "seal" before covering on guacamole - so it doesn't brown (even w/lime sometimes it does) and puddings for those who don't like the "skin" on it.
Thanks, Fred.

chowhound

I have done this CH... it is very effective. But for some reason, I never use in on my cilantro or pest sauces I make. Thanks for bringing this up! Rep points for you!

Oh, you have? There goes my quest for coming up with a million dollar idea :tongue:

Cool. I was wondering if I stumbled onto something here.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
You did CH.... I do it with certain things like guacamole (but I squeeze lemon juice on top first then press with plastic wrap), I just never thought to do it anywhere else until you mentioned it. Everytime I open up a container of cilantro sauce... it has that crusty coating on that I too don't like!

smoke king

Banned
Oh, you have? There goes my quest for coming up with a million dollar idea :tongue:

Cool. I was wondering if I stumbled onto something here.

It can still be a million dollar idea CH. Its all about the marketing-"you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle". I've been using synthetic chamois for at least 20 years....you may know them as "Sham Wows". Nothing new or revolutionary there.

You just need to come up with a "hook" (I suggest heavy use of the term "Space-age polymer") and of course, a great pitchman!!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
It can still be a million dollar idea CH. Its all about the marketing-"you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle". I've been using synthetic chamois for at least 20 years....you may know them as "Sham Wows". Nothing new or revolutionary there.

You just need to come up with a "hook" (I suggest heavy use of the term "Space-age polymer") and of course, a great pitchman!!

You are soooo silly my friend... but I love ya!