Hobart N-50

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I love carts, Susan, and I have several. I'll be back with some links - all will be heavy duty enough for your mixer.

FryBoy

Check this one, too, from QVC -- good customer reviews:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...-Walnut-Finish-Kitchen-Cart-w-ButcherBlockTop

k7118.002

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't know. The top will definitely accommodate the mixer. I have a huge microwave on it - the top is 24"x20". Then there is a shelf and a wire drawer. You can put the shelf and the drawer at any height you wish during assembly. If the bowls nest into each other, they might fit on the bottom shelf. The drawer is pretty spacious.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I don't know. The top will definitely accommodate the mixer. I have a huge microwave on it - the top is 24"x20". Then there is a shelf and a wire drawer. You can put the shelf and the drawer at any height you wish during assembly. If the bowls nest into each other, they might fit on the bottom shelf. The drawer is pretty spacious.

I would not say that they nest well but you can place two of them on top of each other.

leolady

Susan, I like the ones made by Vollrath.

Vollrath is a great brand and I have a lot of their ss aluminum clad stockpots and other restaurant cookware and utensils.

But I didn't see anything wrong with any of the carts you chose!

As a matter of fact, these carts are what I had in mind when you bought the mixer!

FryBoy

Doug, honestly this does not appear sturdy enough for all the equipment. Further, it says nothing about the weight it will hold. I would rather have stainless steel, I think.
QVC actually advertises it on air for use with a Kitchenaid mixer, so I think it's strong enough. The user reviews support that, too.

However, thinking more about it, I am concerned about the stability of any of the suggested stands -- they're all tall and narrow. With a 50-pound mixer on the upper shelf, they would be very top heavy and prone to falling over. Find something wide and low.

leolady

I think you will find that the Vollrath carts are made for this type of application and have heavy wheels/bases.

The one I had was definitely not top heavy and the wheels are designed to carry a lot of weight!

FooD

I have a couple of Vollrath stainless steel utility carts. I use them for something else, not for the kitchen. Although they're well crafted and seem heavy duty, I'm not so sure about putting a 50 pound oscillating appliance on it....as it will definitely be top heavy. I would go with a cart with a wider stance and perhaps a longer wheelbase. Or no wheels at all.

FryBoy

This sounds ominous, like the start of one of those little projects the ends up with a $50,000 kitchen remodel.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Actually the mixer would be on top and the 5 bowls and blades would be on the other shelves. I think the weight would be balanced and the carts that I have shown tell you that they can carry 200 pounds.

And no Doug--I already have a new stovetop, new ovens, new fridge and freezer--new wallpaper. I don't need to remodel my kitchen. I just need a cart for my new/used mixer.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have an antique butcher block table from my grandfather's steakhouse in the center of the kitchen. I do not want to keep my mixer there because I have another antique cutting board on it that I use when cooking.

FooD

I would get another butcher block table just for the mixer and find space for it. It'll be much more stable than any wheeled cart out there.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Not really room for one. The cart can be placed in another room off the kitchen.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I once considered buying this machine brand new, but three things stopped me;

1. It costs over $2,000.00. Astronomically expensive!

2. Capacity.

3. I already have the K-5A, which has the same work bowl capacity - 5 qts. I realise that the Hobart N-50 is a commercial-quality machine, but at the price that it costs, I think that its bowk should at least be slightly larger.

But at the same time, I've seen the K-5A being used in food service kitchens as well.

But I needed a stand mixer that has a slightly larger work bowl capacity, since I've been making and doing cake recipes that require a machine with a larger bowl. My two K'Aid Stand Mixers might be able to do it, but that can lead to confusion trying to divide up extremely large recipes.

The only other cheaper and better alternative was to get the Electrolux Assistant because of its larger work bowl, 8 qts. It can handle large cake recipes, as well as several box cake mixes at once.

Not trying to brag, but the amount of baking that I now do, it had neccesitated the need for a machine that has a larger work bowl.

I also once had considered a Viking or a Delonghi or even a Cuisinart, but after seeing Bobby Flay and Emeril Lagasse having trouble with the Viking machines when the work bowls became stuck to the bases of the mixers, I then struck those off the list as well. On his show Throwdown, Bobby had to literally pick up the whole mixer and turn it upside down just to dump the donut dough out of the bowl!

Last edited: