If You Have an Extra Ten Bucks Per Month....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Paula Deen wants it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/24/paula-deen-network_n_5876080.html

Paula Deen Aims For Comeback With 'Uncensored' New Digital Network

"But now Deen is trying to prove her critics wrong by staging a daring comeback. On Wednesday, she launched the Paula Deen Network, an online platform for her cooking and lifestyle content, with a heavy focus on video."

"Deen's network has no sponsors or advertising; instead, its revenue will come entirely from viewers. Subscriptions to the Paula Deen Network cost $9.99 a month, or $7.99 a month if you sign up for an entire year.

The strategy is a major gamble. Though a few media personalities, such as Glenn Beck, have made a fortune from online subscriptions, many others have failed to break through and turn a profit. It's hard to get people to pay for content when so many websites are giving it away for free."

"While the older material will certainly attract loyal Deen fans, the fate of the new venture will ultimately depend on the strength and popularity of its original programming..."

"Deen said that her team plans to post at least 20 new clips every week, adding that she wants the network to offer an "uncensored" peek into her life."

"Sure enough, the first batch of videos shows a raunchier, edgier Paula Deen than the Food Network ever did. In "Cheer Up Paula," Deen's closest advisers, Brandon Branch and Hollis Johnson, mount a surprise intervention against her slothful ways. Over the course of the 10-minute video, Deen admits to loving Botox, jokingly calls Branch and Johnson "assholes," threatens to rub a giant bullfrog all over Branch's face and ogles her well-muscled personal trainer."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlwS2hUOPyA[/ame]

chilefarmer

I think, for me any program without all the stupid commercials would be a wonderful change. I can remember when paid programming was commercial free. Yeah a long time ago. CF

Ian M.

I don't recall ever seeing tv without commercials, except for Presidential speeches, naturally. But it sounds good to me. I used to love watching Paula Deen on the cooking network - but listening to that accent uncut, including raunch - might just ruin it for me. Guess I'll need to keep an open mind about it. but it won't be for long, I don't suppose. I don't imagine she'll be coming to Ireland anytime soon.

Ian :good:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I thought there was a free trial available.

She thought long and hard about this. She was offered cooking shows on cable and turned them down. She believes that this is the future of entertainment. The model worked very well for HBO when they started on cable and everyone said that no one would pay to see TV, we all know how that turned out.

I do think that broadcasting will move to the web for two reasons, diversity of offering and price. Right now, you sign with the local cable operator and you pay whet they say you pay. with the WEB you can pick and choose what you want and pay a la carte.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
BTW - Ian, accents are a matter of what you like. Since I love the south, I could listen to the accent all day, that's just me.

Don't know if I need the raunch though.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BTW - Ian, accents are a matter of what you like. Since I love the south, I could listen to the accent all day, that's just me.

Don't know if I need the raunch though.
I know I don't. Sounds like that kind of talk will change her persona for the worse. There is a reason folks don't do that kind of stuff on their shows. The only ones who do are the 'bad' guy or gal who just shows up for an episode or two.

I liked her persona before but from reading what was posted above in the OP, I have no interest in the uncensored Paula Dean. JMHO.

Ian M.

Andy - I love the south myself - and southern accents can be absolutely beautiful - just not hers. It's always sounded kind of put on to me - but if you add the raunchy aspect, afraid I'm with Doc on that issue. She's tough to take at best, being a lady has never completely been her forte IMHO. Being outright raunchy just isn't something I go for at all. Yet, I saw her this morning on "Home and Family" and she was making some apple cupcakes and was sweet as can be. It's all in the delivery, I think. But I'm simply not inclined to pay anything to listen to it, that's for sure. It's never been clear whether or not she made those comments and racial slurs to her employees but if she did, she shouldn't go back on the air in any capacity. Her weeping apology was pretty definitive, I thought - and self-accusatory to the max. I'd hate to think the public can forgive and forget that sort of thing that easily.

Ian :twak:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Added information - NetFlix just made a deal to make movies that will go directly to the WEb bypassing theaters.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/02/us-markets-stocks-idUSKCN0HR1CH20141002

Yeah, and the theaters sure are po'd! They've brought it on themselves though with the skyrocketing prices.

Link doesn't go to the right place, but I did some reading on this and now I could kick myself for not buying a smart tv when I replaced one a few months ago :bonk: . If I had only know what was around the corner...

ETA - I would probably watch some of PD's stuff if it were free, but I'm not paying $10 per month.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
streaming stuff sounds attractive - there is of course the proverbial ointamented fly....

ISPs want to surcharge users if you use more than some base amount. we don't stream anything - no clue how many tribble-bytes that would use in a month, nor do I have any idea of how much we use now - that's a big deep dark Comcast secret.

seems the cable/etc ISP put in some cans and strings 30 - 40 years ago and today's demands 'overload' their wires so instead of thinking about solving the problem they're focused on increasing their revenues.

a number of cities have installed their own cable/optical systems, operating as a utility. blazing speeds, good service, for about 20% of the usual cable suspects costs.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Nice to see that she's made a comeback!!

I hope that she has learned her lesson, and treats everyone equally, especially young minority children!! :weber: