Tuna Noodle Casserole

Granny

There are many versions of this recipe, this is the version I use. I have only made it with potato chips once. Instead of the chips, I crush a sleeve of saltine crackers, stir that into a stick of melted butter then sprinkle on top. Lots of crunch. Yummy.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 cup dry elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
4 tablespoons butter
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 can tuna, drained
1 can drained peas (optional)
1 cup crushed potato chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir the butter into the hot noodles. In a buttered baking dish stir together the soup and milk. Add the remaining ingredients except the potato chips. Sprinkle the potato chips on top and bake 25 minutes.

NOTE: If you don't want to used canned peas, you can substitute 2 cups of cooked peas.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pretty much the way I've made it, Granny, but have used bread crumbs sprinkled on top.

I imagine that a topping of crackers and a stick of butter would taste MUCH better, LOL!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's my recipe for Chicken Noodle Casserole, but if desired, you can substitute 3 small cans of tuna in place of the chicken!

Chicken Noodle Casserole.
Ingredients;
1/4 cup cooking oil
Small onion, chopped.
1 cup chopped green pepper.
3 or 4 stocks celery, chopped.
3 cloves garlic, chopped.
1-1/2 to 2 cups leftover chicken, diced or chopped.
1 can cream of mushroom soup.
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, partially thawed.
1/2lb spaghetti, broken in half.
2 bags shreadded cheddar cheese. Reserve 3/4lbs of cheese for top of casserole.
1 cup chicken stock.
1/ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme.

Directions;

Prehet oven to about 375 degrees.

Grease or spray with cooking spray, a meduim size baking dish or pan.

Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion, green pepper, celery and chopped garlic. Sautee over medium heat until almost soft.

Boil enoil water in medium size pot. Add broken spaghetti and cook until aldente` (not soft). Drain, but do not rinse.

Add all remaining ingredients in large mixing bowl. Add sauteed onion mixture. Stir until all ingredients are incoporated.

Pour mixture into prepared baking dish or pan. Place rack at upper third. Bake casserole until bubbly and cheese on top is almost golden brown around the edges.

Cool slightly before serving. Enjoy.
forums

Caution;

Note that I DID NOT mention any salt. That is because I felt that there is enough salt in the mixture from the mushroom soup and the cheese.

This is a rather quick dish to fix. and it is very flavorful! A good way to use up leftover chicken and other leftover stuff that you might have on hand in the fridge to add to it.

Note;

You can substitute TUNA or LEFTOVER TURKEY in place of the chicken, if desired.
attachment.php

:wink:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Pretty much the way I've made it, Granny, but have used bread crumbs sprinkled on top.

I imagine that a topping of crackers and a stick of butter would taste MUCH better, LOL!

Lee

I used to put live bread crumbs mixed with a little butter & parm. But now, I just put shredded cheddar cheese on top. :bbq: :chef:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
1st dinner i cooked fer my family. think i was 9, or near that.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
updated for our version:

most tuna noodle casseroles are sized to feed three or four dozen armies.
this is my take on reducing it to Cooking For Two.
if you like it, double the recipe for leftovers because reheated at 275'F / 135'C day after next it is - according to my Dear Wife - even better.

in my attempt to re-create a delicious 1960's style tuna noodle casserole, I found the major issue is the tuna itself. so, I use tuna packed in olive oil. all those health conscience water packed, no salt, no calories, no tuna content type brands are also "no flavor."

in my experience the best choice is: albacore packed in olive oil.
other brands may certainly yield as good or better result. your tuna mileage may vary.

this is the best for the purpose I've found to-date:
I don't own them, I don't work for them, it's merely the best brand/type I use and if you don't have a favorite, it's a good place to start. and I should add, I've tried all the national brands and they were not satisfactory for this dish.

a note on measures:
- it's a casserole! a bit more or a bit less of any specific ingredient is not going to kill the dish.
- not every geographic / market area has "stuff" packed / sold in identical "units"
- these are guidelines; going a bit inside/outside the lines is not going to matter
- condensed soup: does not appear in this small quantity (basically half a can) ... plan for other use or dispose of unused portion.

general prep order:
- heat the water for the pasta
- open and drain the tuna, reserve the liquid
- open and drain the pimento
- lightly toast the sliced/slivered almonds in a pan
- slice/dice/chop the vegetable bits and set aside
- drain and cool the pasta; toss and drain in tuna oil (it's a flavor thing; don't omit!) while hot
- mix & blend the vegetables & soup+milk & cheese mixture
- then add the tuna, breaking up any large chunks
- theory is to minimize breaking up the tuna; you want bite size or smaller, minced tuna not so much
- fold-in / add the egg noodles
- pour into casserole dish
- liberally sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- bake uncovered 45 minutes at 350’F/175’C

the details:

3.5 oz by weight / 100 g wide egg noodles
2 small cans, net aka drained = 10 oz by weight / 283 g tuna, drained - reserve liquid
4 tablespoon / 60 g mayo / salad dressing
1/2 c. / 125 ml / 1 rib celery; cut long wise then thinly sliced cross wise.
1/4 c. / 65 ml medium diced onion
1/4 c. / 65 ml diced sweet green pepper
2 oz by weight / 60 g pimento, drained
1/4 teaspoon kosher / 2 g salt
fresh ground pepper to taste

mix all the vegetable prep into a large bowl
in a separate bowl blend 6 oz by weight / 170g condensed cream of celery soup diluted with:
1/4 cup / 2 fluid ounces / 60 ml milk

add to the soup mix:
3 oz by weight / 85 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese

pour into casserole
cover with
- toasted sliced/slivered almonds - about 1/4 cup / 79 g
or
-Crushed Ritz crackers

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, C-man! I will look for that brand!

Love the tip about tossing the pasta in the tuna oil!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you for the recipe!!
We don't care for the tuna in oil. It tastes like motor oil to me and too greasy. I never liked tuna much when I was a kid unless mom rinsed it a bit. We like Bumble Bee solid white Albacore in water.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the water pack really took off with the late great health craze - packed in oil was difficult to find....
my 'comfort food' memories date to elementary school - mac&cheese, tuna noodle casserole, cream chipped beef on toast , , , stuff like that. it's been interesting to re-create the memories - although if a time machine was available, I'd bet what I've deemed a good recreation today is definitely different that the reality of yesteryear . . .

to rid me of the frustrations, I bought a can of (essentially) every tuna brand and style - opened them and had a taste test. settled on the Genova.

Monday is creamed chipped beef . . . made a run to the Amish market for dry cured bacon + chipped beef end of last week.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I loved the public school lunch food. I always asked for extra spinach and got a pound of spinach. No one wanted it, but they had to give them a forkful at least, so they got a "balanced" meal. Nowadays, they have the food brought in from outside. The food is lousy. My DD's sometimes said the food was spoiled, moldy and the milk was sour! I don't think they know how to use the kitchens anymore.

I haven't had SOS in a long time. I will have to look for the little bottle of dried beef.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
to rid me of the frustrations, I bought a can of (essentially) every tuna brand and style - opened them and had a taste test. settled on the Genova.

Cool! Appreciate your posting the results of your testing!

Lee