Sauteed Corn with Bacon and Leeks

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My father gave me a subscription to the magazine Cook's Illustrated, which I love.

I promised myself that I would make at least one recipe from each issue.

This one was terrific, and a keeper!

Lee

Corn, Sauteed with Bacon and Leeks (Cook’s Illustrated)
6 slices of bacon, cut into ½ pieces
1 pound leeks, white and light green parts, halved and sliced thin
Salt
4 ears of corn, kernels cut from cobs
¼ cup minced chives
1-2 T. cider vinegar
Pinch cayenne pepper
Cook bacon in non-stick skillet until crispy. Transfer bacon to paper towel. Pour off and reserve all but 2T. bacon fat from skillet.
Add leeks and a little salt to pan, sautéing for a few minutes until limp. Transfer cooked leeks to bowl.
Heat 1T. of the reserved bacon fat until it shimmers. Add corn and ¼ teas salt. Cook corn without stirring, until browned on the bottom and it starts to pop. Stir until corn is spotty brown all over.
Add back leeks, bacon, stir in chives, 1 T. vinegar, and a pinch of cayenne. Serve.

Attachments

• Bacon pieces.JPG
    Bacon pieces.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 925
  • Leeks.JPG
    Leeks.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 937
  • Corn, browning.JPG
    Corn, browning.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 949
  • Corn, leeks, bacon  from Cooks Illustrated.JPG
    Corn, leeks, bacon from Cooks Illustrated.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 938

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I would have to eat the extra bacon while cooking the rest.... Looks great and would make a great side for a meal.:thumb:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Fantastic...all things I love in there!

I promised myself that I would make at least one recipe from each issue.

I used to do that with Southern Living magazine, and it was always a lot of fun. It kind of forces you to try new things and branch out a little.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
looks like a winner!

we sampled some corn I put up this summer - bi-color, fresh - water still dripping out of the stalk end,,, shucked, cut off with a sharp knife, in a zip lock freezer bag. that's it. no muss no fuss no blanch.

it was super.

I've got three dozen in the freezer - definitely got this one pinned to the list!