Bison steak

GotGarlic

When we were driving through Pennsylvania last month, we stopped here and bought some bison steaks: Bison Corral We thawed them out for today's dinner.

I've never cooked bison before. It's a beautiful day here, so we'll probably grill it. I know it's very lean, so it will just need a fairly quick sear on all sides.

Any suggestions for marinades or toppings or other serving suggestions?

This is my own favorite concoction that I use frequently. Have used it for buffalo, beef, lamb, pork, & even tuna steaks!

BREEZY 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 MARINADE

In a plastic ziplock bag, bowl, or dish large enough to hold the meat & marinade, combine:

1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dry sherry
3 tablespoons of oil (any type of your choosing)
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed, & roughly chopped

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Damn, Breezy, that's easy to remember!

Sounds great, too!

Lee

Thanks. It's really great for cheaper cuts of steak like chuck/London Broil, etc.

Oh, & if you decide not to marinate your buffalo steaks, think about maybe topping them with pats of butter or slices of compound butter (just chopped herbs mixed into softened butter, rolled into a log with plastic wrap or wax paper, & refrigerated or frozen until use).

And you're right re: leaning towards undercooking rather than overcooking when working with buffalo or buffalo/beef hybrid products. Overcooked bison can really test ones choppers - lol!

GotGarlic

Thanks for the great ideas. Actually, we ended up going out for dinner last night - some friends called and asked us to go with them to see the symphony perform outside in a park, and we went to dinner first, so we still have the steaks. We also have some ground bison still in the freezer that we bought at the same place.

I'm going to serve them with grilled potatoes, so I think the chimichurri sauce sounds perfect. I'll keep that marinade in mind, though, Breezy - it sounds delicious.

Thanks. What made me throw it together was that I always have all 4 of those ingredients on hand, & it works so well for meat & meat-like fish like tuna. I've also used it with Cow-Nose Ray steaks (similar to tuna) with excellent results.

Re: ground bison - they do make great burgers, but just like the steaks, better medium-rare to rare, & a pat or two of flavored butter is wonderful.

We have a bison farm nearly right around the corner from us (http://cibolafarms.com/) , so can get pretty much any cut we want, but even though the local grocery stores don't carry bison as a rule, several do carry ground bison.

I like bison burgers, but as you said, they are LEAN. So I usually season them the way I do turkey burgers (also a lean meat) - just Worcestershire sauce, McCormick's Monterey Grill seasoning, granulated garlic, freshly ground black pepper, & sometimes some fresh chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley. After grilling or broiling to medium-rare, I always top them with a nice herbal or garlicy compound butter.

GotGarlic

I'm late to the thread, so any advice I can offer is kinda moot at this point.

So how did it go? I love bison.

It was delicious, and I really love chimichurri sauce! I can't believe I've never made it before, since I love vinegar of all kinds. We'll be having that often.

I ended up making mashed potatoes, because DH suggested it and once I have mashers in mind, it's all I can think about :lol: And steamed buttered peas - some we had frozen from our spring garden. We had the chimichurri sauce on the potatoes and peas, too. So good.

Here's the luscious plate:

Attachments

• bison-steak.jpg
    bison-steak.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 184

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks fantastic, GG! And you've inspired me to make chimichurri for my steak this weekend.

Of COURSE you'd like a sauce with 8 cloves of garlic!

Did you use all parsley like I do, or did you add cilantro?

Lee

GotGarlic

That looks fantastic, GG! And you've inspired me to make chimichurri for my steak this weekend.

Of COURSE you'd like a sauce with 8 cloves of garlic!

Did you use all parsley like I do, or did you add cilantro?

Lee

Thanks, Lee :smile: I used all parsley this time, but we do like cilantro, so I'll try it that way another time. I read a lot of recipes for it and there seem to be lots of variations, but yeah - the garlic was killer :wink: