Friday 9/23/2011 What's cooking?

AllenOK

I have no earthly idea what I'm doing for dinner today. It's to early to think about that right now. The morning coffee has just begun to kick in.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Today will be a re-do of yesterday's pork roast and trimmings. Gonna be a on-and-off rainy day here today, so I might make some honey whole wheat bread for the freezer. I'll see after the next cup-O-Joe.:mrgreen:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's gonna be a replay of the stuffed peppers here. It's been raining off and on all day here too. I might just make some bread today too. Thanks for inspiring me Joe!

Carolina Cooking

I made lasagna stuffed 'orange' pepper last night. so good . I have a bunch of the 'lasagna' stuffing left. I may stuff something else with it. OR Maybe just skip it for a few days .

So I have nothing planned.

I am having the season's
new coffee, don' t know that I even like it.

Pumpkin Pie.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Stopping by the market deli on the way into work.
Hopefully they'll have something good in the "hot and now" section.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hub brought home frozen P.F Chang's Pepper Steak with Chow Fun Noodles. We have never had any of this before. I hope it is good. I will probably have some broccoli rabe also (I LOVE broccoli rabe!!).

Embryodad

DD is over today....
Her BF is installing a new floor in the living room here.

I helped DD make Home Made Pumpkin ice cream. I was just the Ice and Salt Man. Came out good!...

DD then made Bacon and eggs.. I opted out of that!..Giving tummy a rest today.

I guess B L T' (s) for supper tonight...
I can eat two. The bread is so small. :sad:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm trying something new. Chicken Normandy. Chicken braised with apple cider, apples, onions, and calvados. Brussels Sprouts on the side.

I found the recipe a couple of years ago and printed it out. Tossed it in a pile and never tried it. So tonight's the night!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I made some potato soup with Italian sausage last night, so it's a re-run tonight.

Embryodad

Just resorted to...( )..

Nothing for supper. L O L

DD is still here, and her BF is still installing the new floor in the L.R.

I was involved pulling out the pellet stove and wiring for the tv and entertainment thingy. Grrrrrrr!!!

I am of no help because I can't kneel. Me Knees are Shot!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We had the P.F. Chang Pepper Steak. One word YUCK!! The P.F. must stand for Pretty Foul!! I only had a couple bites of it and it gave me a stomach ache. :sad:

Carolina Cooking

We had the P.F. Chang Pepper Steak. One word YUCK!! The P.F. must stand for Pretty Foul!! I only had a couple bites of it and it gave me a stomach ache. :sad:

I was going to say something before but thought let them find out how bad it is. :laugh: The restaurant opened here not long ago & let me tell you the fanfare was so stupid. I have eaten there a few times when I lived in Southern Ca . It is NOTHING to write home about either.I won't bother to drive 45 minutes for the pleasure :yuk:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I was going to say something before but thought let them find out how bad it is. :laugh: The restaurant opened here not long ago & let me tell you the fanfare was so stupid. I have eaten there a few times when I lived in Southern Ca . It is NOTHING to write home about either.I won't bother to drive 45 minutes for the pleasure :yuk:
Well if the frozen is that bad I DON'T want to try the restaurant!! We have been seeing the commercials and it looked good. WRONG!!

Nancy-MD

Went out to eat yesterday and tonight it was spaghetti.

Attachments

• 9.23.11 spaghetti.jpg
    9.23.11 spaghetti.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 90

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here's a replay of last night's pork roast, but with a shot of dessert that came from a friend. She called it "Better Than Sex Cake," but it looks nothing like any recipe for it that I have seen. This cake has crushed pineapple in the cake, and the topping has pudding, Cool Whip and shredded coconut. Whatever it's called, it's darn good!

Dinner092311-1.jpg

Dinner092311-2.jpg

Embryodad

Here's a replay of last night's pork roast, but with a shot of dessert that came from a friend. She called it "Better Than Sex Cake," but it looks nothing like any recipe for it that I have seen. This cake has crushed pineapple in the cake, and the topping has pudding, Cool Whip and shredded coconut. Whatever it's called, it's darn good!

Dinner092311-1.jpg

Dinner092311-2.jpg
Looks great Joe..

The cake.... DW made it a couple time already. It is awesome.

Embryodad

Got a name for the cake???
Joe...I called the wife, and she said she got the recipe from my mom, and it is called "Better than Sex" Cake....
I have the recipe and I can / will post it.

Now I'm drooling for it....hahahahahaha

ps: I have to type it out... from the chicken scratch on a torn off piece of tablet paper that my mom was famous for. The best was recipe's hand printed on matchbooks. L O L

Embryodad

Here is a recipe for the Cake popular in the 70's.. or so!

I'll place it in the baking thread also.

“Better than Sex Cake”

1 Pkg. Yellow Cake Mix ( Duncan Hines )
Mix as Directed…
Place in a 11x16 Cookie Sheet Pan and bake for 20 minutes ( I would imagine 350ºF.) *No indication on moms hand written recipe.
(1) Topping:
1- Pkg. Instant Vanilla Pudding
1- Cup Milk
1- 8Oz. Cream Cheese
Blend all together--Spread over top of Cooled Cake
(2) Layer a large can of Crushed Pineapple ( Drained ) on top also
(3) Top with a Layer of Cool Whip (9 oz. size)
(4) Sprinkle with Chopped Walnuts and Coconut. ( Toasted Coconut if so desired ).

homecook

I made a mushroom lasagna and a tossed salad.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 78
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 80

homecook

homecook... that is some of the best looking lasagna I have ever seen.
Truthfully....I would love the recipe for that...if you would. Please?

At your leisure though.

((JIMMY))

Thank you Jimmy. :chef: I'll try to get it posted within the next couple days.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I made Chicken Normandy. It's a recipe I found on the internet a couple years ago. It was pretty good, but not perfect. The sauce was very rich with the cream embellishment, and I think it needed something to offset that. Next time I might add a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to cut through the richness. When I get it fixed to my satisfaction, I'll post the recipe.

Chicken thighs braised in calvados & apple cider & onions, with sauteed apples. Balsamic glazed brussels sprouts on the side.

Attachments

• chix normandy 010.jpg
    chix normandy 010.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 66

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
WOW! EVERYTHING looks and sounds wonderful.

Joe .... IS the cake better than sex? LOL

I am looking forward to the lasagna recipe Barb. It looks wonderful.

I love the color on the chiocken and sprouts SS.

Nan you have me wanting to dig into that pasta!

Last night was a wonderful "Chicken Scarpariello Country Style", consisting of bone-in skin-on chicken thighs & hot Italian turkey sausages browned & then braised in white wine, with marinated artichoke hearts, julienned bell pepper, diced pickled hot cherry peppers, diced potatoes, garlic, onion, & fresh rosemary.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Last night was a wonderful "Chicken Scarpariello Country Style", consisting of bone-in skin-on chicken thighs & hot Italian turkey sausages browned & then braised in white wine, with marinated artichoke hearts, julienned bell pepper, diced pickled hot cherry peppers, diced potatoes, garlic, onion, & fresh rosemary.
That sounds amazing and packed with loads of contrasting flavors and colors.