Whats for Dinner 11-3

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It's going to depend on the weather. Tonight is the last night of Harvest the Music fesitval - 8 weeks of free music on Wednesday evening with vendors from top restaurants and proceeds going to the Harvest (sort of like City Harvest in NYC)

If the weather holds, we'll go for a while and bring pizza home. We're currently on a pizza in New Orleans tour, searching for the one pie that reminds us of home. Pizza down here, while not bad, is not great, either.

If that plan falls through, not sure what we'll do.

FooD

I already made the main part of the dinner while I slept last night. I roasted a thing of beef round in my outdoor oven which still had enough left over heat (275F) from doing pizza Sunday night. I threw the roast in at midnight and pulled it out as soon as I woke up this morning around 5:30. It came out a bit over done as the internal temp read 150F. I was hoping it wouldn't be this high as I awoke.

vyapti

We'll be ordering pizzas tonight: one tofu & olives and one asparagus, garlic & fresh tomato.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm cooking from the Franken Pantry tonight - check it out! We have some great ingredients this week. I'm making a pork chipotle stew, and will serve it on a bed of lentils and rice.

K

Kimchee

I can't tuna piano, but I can TUNA CASSEROLE! Hahahahhahahahaaa

A comfort food I haven't had in years returns to the table tonight.
Course, it will be a tiny bit kicked up with some sauteed mushrooms and such...

Anyone else put pickle juice in theirs?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm finally feeling better, got rid of the computer virus and cooked tonight!!

Pan fried country ham steak, scrambled eggs & salad (mixed greens, baby spinach & baby arugula) topped with sunflower seeds, black sesame seeds, green olives, slivered almonds, shredded cheddar, salad supreme & dressed with Good Seasons Garlic & Herb dressing made with flaxseed oil.

110310_ham_eggs.jpg

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh yum yum yum, Peeps. We've missed you! I am without a computer as well, and using Jerry's...mine took a fall to the ceramic tile floor. Jury is still out on what it will take to fix it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh yum yum yum, Peeps. We've missed you! I am without a computer as well, and using Jerry's...mine took a fall to the ceramic tile floor. Jury is still out on what it will take to fix it.
Thank you karen!! I hope they can fix your puter.

Leni

My MIL would put pickle juice into tuna salad, egg salad, and God only knows what else. :shock: Her tuna and egg salads were very dry as far as I am concerned.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We had this yummy pork and chipotle stew from the Franken Pantry...one of the best things I've cooked in awhile. I described how I made it on the Franken Pantry V thread...

Attachments

• food 038.jpg
    food 038.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 76

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, and of course I have to let you know.......I'm loving those dishes you served that in. Awesome!! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Keltin. As for the rice, I just put a scant two cups of water in a pan, add a little salt and about a TBS of butter. When it boils, I stir in one cup of rice, let it boil, give it one more stir, then cover it and turn it as low as it will go (gas stove) and cook for about 15 minutes. Let it sit for another ten minutes, at least, then fluff it up. But I have the perfect rice cooking saucepan that belonged to Jerry's mother. It is heavy stainless steel, with a lid that fits very tight. Cannot go wrong with this great sauce pan. Plus, it may just be the Mexican rice - not quite long grain, and very very good.

And, who knew how delicious rice and lentils would be? (I'll bet Vyapti has known for a long time!) I'll certainly be doing that more often - such a nice contrast in flavor and texture.

PS - I love those dishes, too, and use them alot. Wish I had more of them.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I had Underwood Deviled Chicken on Ritz crackers, a banana, a bag of Lay's chips and 4 cups of coffee.
Yay.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Sass - I truly do love your dinner. When I was single (25 years before I married Jerry), I often ate popcorn for dinner, or cheese and crackers, or basically, whatever I felt like eating...now, I somehow feel compelled to put a meal on the table, although he would probably be blissful with your dinner as well.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, sass. i could go for a snack like that right now. i have't had devilled ham on crackers in ages. i need to remember to pick some up on the next trip to the supermarket.

peeps and karen, your dinners look so good! well done. :clap:

after pulling an all nighter with the elections (no one really needs all of those damn graphics, flipping and swooshing across the screen for hours to show who's won, with only 3% of the districts reporting. geez :neutral:) i made the mistake of fondly remembering how i enjoyed the mcdonald's mcrib sandwich 20 or so years ago. it must have been the fact that i've only slept 4 hours since monday, but i picked up not one, but 2 mcribs on the way home.

gack!!!! those things are disgusting!! the bun, onions, pickles, and bbq sauce were ok, but whomever the hell calls those "ribs" a pork ribs should be shot. or worse, forced to subsist on them for the rest of their miserable lives.

it had almost no flavour, certainly not of pork in any way. if someone had told me so, i would have believed that it was "vegetarian meat". some bizarre grain or soy based imitation product. but no, it was good ol' pig, from snout to curly tail, all ground up, boiled to death, and mashed to make something unformly pressable. with a chemistry set tossed in to help it bind together and preserve it.

half way through the second one (lol, i was really hungry. what? :blush:), i realized i wasn't even enjoying having a sinful treat. what's the point of doing that?

so, a warning: no trips down memory lane, no waxing poetic about old days, when fast food was a once in a blue moon treat. mcribs are everything that's wrong with fast food.

Leni

I felt the same way the last time I had a MacRib. Pickles???? The I wondered what the meat actually was. As I recall the sauce had too much vinegar in it for me.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Bucky. And I agree with ya about the mcrib!! I had one when I was preggie with my girl and I would rather give birth natural for the 3rd time than have another one of those mccraps!!

Thanks, Keltin. As for the rice, I just put a scant two cups of water in a pan, add a little salt and about a TBS of butter. When it boils, I stir in one cup of rice, let it boil, give it one more stir, then cover it and turn it as low as it will go (gas stove) and cook for about 15 minutes. Let it sit for another ten minutes, at least, then fluff it up. But I have the perfect rice cooking saucepan that belonged to Jerry's mother. It is heavy stainless steel, with a lid that fits very tight. Cannot go wrong with this great sauce pan. Plus, it may just be the Mexican rice - not quite long grain, and very very good.

And, who knew how delicious rice and lentils would be? (I'll bet Vyapti has known for a long time!) I'll certainly be doing that more often - such a nice contrast in flavor and texture.

PS - I love those dishes, too, and use them alot. Wish I had more of them.
I LOVE to serve lentil soup over rice! They go soooooooooo good together and lentils and rice combine to make a complete protein.