Halloween Dinner

Leni

I'm not sure but it's going to be fast and easy. Maybe just grilled Jack cheese with Anaheim peppers.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
We're doing an outdoor shrimp boil tonight - 3 types of sausages, potatoes, corn on the cob and shrimp. Probably put a london broil on the grill, too. Hubigs Pies for dessert!

vyapti

I found this at the store and curiosity beat out common sense. It's a CAN of veggie hot dogs. How can that be good??? But the chili and cornbread will be good regardless. I just hope my can of hot dogs go over better than Keltin's cheeseburger =)

5132880702_15434d76a5.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We will all await your verdict on the hotdogs, vyapti. Pics!!

Vera, your dinner sounds like a foodie's wet dream.....

I just made eight BIG calzones (already packed 'em up, forgot about pictures) and a pan of butterscotch bars. Today is the birthday of our dear friend John, who died in July. A bunch of us are going (with his wife) to the beach in awhile, having some good food in his name, and scattering his ashes at sundown.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Going to daughter in law's house. I'm taking cornbread - not sure if I will do it in the cast iron pan or not. Easier to travel if I just bake them in muffin tins. She's making chili.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
It's going to be a pork butt roast which is baking in the oven right now with red potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's really nice, Karen. What a nice way to remember your friend.

Chicken and dumplins with broccoli and cornbread.

Attachments

• chicken-dumplins.jpg
    chicken-dumplins.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 106

Deelady

Looks delish Mama!! I've been really wanting to try making that sometime!

We had Porcupine meatballs, mashed potatoes and grean beans.

Attachments

• food 403.jpg
    food 403.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 105

Deelady

I hope your evening is filled with many great memories Karen! Like Mama said, it sounds very nice. :)

Leni

I agree. That sounds like a very nice way to say goodby.

I've decided to make naked hamburgers. I haven't made them in a long time and someone here made them the other day. I'll also serve mashed potatoes with gravy and a veggie of some sort. If DH is very nice I just may make cornbread for him. He's been on the radio all day talking to just about every country in the world. :shock:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Your dinners look and sound so good, everyone.

Thanks for the kind words...the sunset tonight was so beautiful. The sun was bright red as it sunk into the sea. We sent John on his way with tears and laughter. It was hard to say goodbye to Lisa, who is returning to the US early tomorrow morning. Hold on tight to the people you love...

K

Kimchee

Shredded Pork "Carnitas" Tacos... Had some country style pork ribs, gave them a rub in a Mexican style mix. Browned them in some bacon grease in my cast iron pot, added chicken stock, juice of an orange and a lime, half an onion, half a jalapeno, 3 garlic cloves smashed. Brought to a simmer, stuck them in the oven for a couple of hours.
Took em out, shredded down the meat. Let the juices boil way down, poured them out. More bacon grease, gave the meat a little fry. Put the juices back, used them
for tacos with pico de gallo and avocado slices.
YUM!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Chipped beef gravy over mashed potatoes aka SOC (you figure it out) LOL

My tummy was singing and happy. :D

2010-10-31 17-12-56.629.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I found this at the store and curiosity beat out common sense. It's a CAN of veggie hot dogs. How can that be good??? But the chili and cornbread will be good regardless. I just hope my can of hot dogs go over better than Keltin's cheeseburger =)

5132880702_15434d76a5.jpg

So how were the canned dogs, Vy?
I've had them before and liked them.
Anything Loma Linda does is usually good.

vyapti

You know, they really surprised me. I don't even remember what a hot dog is supposed to taste like, but these tasted good. The first bit was a little mushy (I'm glad I didn't boil them). But after the first bite, the texture wasn't bad. I think they're better than the other hot dogs I've tried. My middle girl & wife liked them better as well. The little one has never liked hot dogs, so she doesn't count.

I think I may have to try Mama's corndogs now.

5134460747_8fb2f7e666.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Looks delish Mama!! I've been really wanting to try making that sometime!

We had Porcupine meatballs, mashed potatoes and grean beans.

Dee , my mother used to make porcupine meatballs and she served hem over rice. I haven't had them since she died in 1967. I would love to relive that memory. Would you please share the recipe?

Deelady

Dee , my mother used to make porcupine meatballs and she served hem over rice. I haven't had them since she died in 1967. I would love to relive that memory. Would you please share the recipe?

Of course SS :) I'll post both recipes that I use, one with mushroom soup that you see in this pic, and one with only tomato gravy.

FooD

I made several pizzas last night for friends and family including this chicken hot wing pie that Officer Frank retrieved for himself. He did not leave any room for doughnuts.

P1050446.jpg

Great pic, FooD. Luv the pizza oven & pizza pic, & Gawd bless the lapd. :)

I made several pizzas last night for friends and family including this chicken hot wing pie that Officer Frank retrieved for himself. He did not leave any room for doughnuts.

P1050446.jpg